Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gift Certificate at a Hotel - no elite status Marriott Bonvoy benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I have received a 2 night gift certificate to stay at a JW Marriott this Labour Day weekend.
This is in compensation for suboptimal service when I stayed at this hotel last Oct.

The manager has told me that in this case, one does not get any elite status benefits- I am a Platinum member.

Is he correct?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I have received a 2 night gift certificate to stay at a JW Marriott this Labour Day weekend.
This is in compensation for suboptimal service when I stayed at this hotel last Oct.

The manager has told me that in this case, one does not get any elite status benefits- I am a Platinum member.

Is he correct?
Technically, yes since in order to obtain benefits, you must stay on a qualifying rate. Since a comp room isn't qualifying, you don't earn benefits. However the hotel can if they wanted to as a courtesy and considering why they gave you the cert, you would think they should to win you back as a customer. Hopefully they do the right thing by you.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:51 pm

It depends on how you define " elite status benefits"

You will not earn any points on a non-revenue stay
However you will earn amenities such as breakfast, lounge access etc.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Is he correct?
As noted, you won’t receive points, but you should still get your other benefits.

What’s the property?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by 1mileman
Technically, yes since in order to obtain benefits, you must stay on a qualifying rate. Since a comp room isn't qualifying, you don't earn benefits. However the hotel can if they wanted to as a courtesy and considering why they gave you the cert, you would think they should to win you back as a customer. Hopefully they do the right thing by you.
Only if the issuing property is the same as the redemption property.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:15 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Is he correct?
IMO, this is a borderline case, but to your favor.

Since those free nights were issued as compensation as prior stay, they carry the same benefits as the original stay. They are just replacement. If you booked with illegible rates such as tour package, etc, then the hotel is correct. But if you paid with eligible rate or points, then you should receive full Marriott elite benefits.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I do not want to want state which hotel it is- except to say that it is the same hotel, and the original stay was at a qualifying rate.

So no early check-in/no late check-out/no welcome amenity - per the manager.

Is he going by the book? - is this listed anywhere in the Marriott Bonvoy web site terms and conditions.

Of course, I do not expect Marriott Bonvoy points or credit for nights stayed.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:23 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I do not want to want state which hotel it is- except to say that it is the same hotel, and the original stay was at a qualifying rate.

So no early check-in/no late check-out/no welcome amenity - per the manager.

Is he going by the book? - is this listed anywhere in the Marriott Bonvoy web site terms and conditions.

Of course, I do not expect Marriott Bonvoy points or credit for nights stayed.
It is murky as to the circumstance of original stay….
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I don't care what the rules say, this would infuriate me. I don't know what the situation was that was bad enough on your original stay for them to invite you back for a complimentary two-night stay, but for them to cop this attitude when trying to redeem it is just poor form. I don't know how badly you want the free two nights, but I'd inclined to tell them to stuff their gift certificate, and I'd be vocal on sites like this and TripAdvisor about how they treat people.
Temedar, Tanic, kilo and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 12:24 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Definitely name and shame. No sane hospitality manager would be this hypocritical about a comped stay due to service failure.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar
Definitely name and shame. No sane hospitality manager would be this hypocritical about a comped stay due to service failure.
Agreed. Let me know so I know not to stay there. I hate dealing with these annoying rogue properties.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
I do not want to want state which hotel it is
Disappointing; you don't want to share and help everybody here, but asking for help for yourself.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ohmark
Disappointing; you don't want to share and help everybody here, but asking for help for yourself.

I do not think it would be appropriate to name him in a public forum.

But the question still is- is he going by the book - if so, can one direct me to the Marriott bonvoy web site to corroborate his words He himself says that these are the guidelines (see below).

I am more than willing to accept that the guidelines do not require any elite level Marriott bonvoy benefits- but I would like to see that in writing.
If these guidelines are there in writing, then I guess a hotel manager has the discretion to allow the customer to enjoy these benefits, or not. If that is the case, I can not argue with the policy.

(PS-where do stays on Marriott Bonvoy points or credit card/Marriott Bonvoy free certificates) fit in all of this.

In order to receive benefits of the loyalty program, the reservation must fall under a valid rate category. Unfortunately complimentary stays does not count towards the eligibility. As you know nights credit will not be accumulated during this stay as it is complimentary. However you still can earn points on any incidental expenses charged to the room. There will be no welcome bonus or any other benefits available for complimentary stays as per the guidelines set by Marriott International and Marriott Bonvoy.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not think it would be appropriate to name him in a public forum.

But the question still is- is he going by the book - if so, can one direct me to the Marriott bonvoy web site to corroborate his words He himself says that these are the guidelines (see below).

I am more than willing to accept that the guidelines do not require any elite level Marriott bonvoy benefits- but I would like to see that in writing.
If these guidelines are there in writing, then I guess a hotel manager has the discretion to allow the customer to enjoy these benefits, or not. If that is the case, I can not argue with the policy.

(PS-where do stays on Marriott Bonvoy points or credit card/Marriott Bonvoy free certificates) fit in all of this.

In order to receive benefits of the loyalty program, the reservation must fall under a valid rate category. Unfortunately complimentary stays does not count towards the eligibility. As you know nights credit will not be accumulated during this stay as it is complimentary. However you still can earn points on any incidental expenses charged to the room. There will be no welcome bonus or any other benefits available for complimentary stays as per the guidelines set by Marriott International and Marriott Bonvoy.
You can name the property without naming the manager. That information isn’t posted publicly anywhere that I’m aware of.

Anyway, disappointing service either way given this was an attempt (and a failed one of you ask me) at service recovery. I think I’d ask them to charge me $1 for the stay at that point so that I could get my benefits.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:33 pm

As I read the Terms and Conditions, it appears the that manager is correct. It's convoluted because you have to jump around, but here goes:

4.1 Elite Membership General
4.1.c. Benefits of Elite membership apply to stays on Qualifying Rates (as described in Section 2.1.e.) and are reserved for Members only and apply solely to the one guest room in which the Elite Member stays.

2.1 Earning Opportunities at Participating Properties
2.1.e. Qualifying Rates. A “Qualifying Rate” is the rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which qualifies to earn Points or Miles. Qualifying Rates include most business and leisure rates, such as rates found on Marriott.com without an application of a discount code, Standard and Premium Retail rates, Advanced Purchase rates, Corporate negotiated rates, and national/regional/local Government rates.

2.1.f. Non-Qualifying Rates. A “Non-Qualifying Rate” is a rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which does not qualify to earn Points or Miles, as well as membership tier benefits. Non-Qualifying Rates are those booked using the following methods:
iv. The guest room was complimentary; or
v. A voucher or third-party award was redeemed for the guest room.

Source: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

Since the room is complimentary and uses a voucher, it appears that you are staying on a Non-Qualifying Rate.

Note: Don't shoot the messenger. I'm with the other's here who say this is an incredibly dumb take. I think gengar is spot on: "No sane hospitality manager would be this hypocritical about a comped stay due to service failure."

I once worked at a pretty bad hotel with a General Manager who did practically anything to avoid spending money on guests. Even he wouldn't have denied frequent guest benefits in this scenario.

I get wanting to keep the hotel's name secret before the stay. But please come back and name the hotel after your stay so that other FlyerTalkers can avoid giving this property their money.
cmd320 and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Sep 1, 2021 at 4:34 pm Reason: Added to comment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.