FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Residence Inn by Marriott Oahu Kapolei, HI [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2051046-residence-inn-marriott-oahu-kapolei-hi-master-thread.html)

cjjones051 Aug 29, 2021 3:39 pm

Residence Inn by Marriott Oahu Kapolei, HI [Master Thread]

I've been loyal to Marriot and SPG for years, but the merger seems to have downgraded the benefits of both programs. I am currently Gold and about to be Plat in about 10 days. I had a reservation from 8Aug-30Sep about 54 days at this property. I spoke with the GM about a $35/day rate adjustment to meet my reimbursement amount. The response was a no. After the first three weeks, I had time to do some additional research and found out that if I booked my stay in 3-4 night increments, I would receive the rate that my company would cover. So I made about eight separate back-to-back reservations that would cover the stay. The day before checking out the original reservation, the Manager on Duty (MOD) told me that I would incur a one-night penalty for canceling the original reservation even though I would be staying until my original departure date. I asked for the policy to be shown in writing, and he stated that it's internal to Marriott only and would not produce it. I asked the front desk agent to put me in for a late check out because I would have to switch rooms, and she was granting it until the MOD came over and stopped it. When I stopped by the desk the next morning, the agent put me in for a late checkout so I could move my belongings to the new room as soon as it was ready. This was a perfectly reasonable solution. The challenge i have is that the MOD is attempting to implement a policy that he cannot produce in writing. Then it feels like retaliation with the denied late checkout because I told him that I would escalate this to Marriott Corp/Loyalty retention. I understand that each Marriott may have their own policies, but i have never encountered a one-night penalty because of an earlier-than-expected departure. When I contacted the Bonvoy loyalty department, they could not see a policy that included a one-night penalty at this property. Has anyone else encountered this or something similar?

1mileman Aug 29, 2021 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by cjjones051 (Post 33528286)

I've been loyal to Marriot and SPG for years, but the merger seems to have downgraded the benefits of both programs. I am currently Gold and about to be Plat in about 10 days. I had a reservation from 8Aug-30Sep about 54 days at this property. I spoke with the GM about a $35/day rate adjustment to meet my reimbursement amount. The response was a no. After the first three weeks, I had time to do some additional research and found out that if I booked my stay in 3-4 night increments, I would receive the rate that my company would cover. So I made about eight separate back-to-back reservations that would cover the stay. The day before checking out the original reservation, the Manager on Duty (MOD) told me that I would incur a one-night penalty for canceling the original reservation even though I would be staying until my original departure date. I asked for the policy to be shown in writing, and he stated that it's internal to Marriott only and would not produce it. I asked the front desk agent to put me in for a late check out because I would have to switch rooms, and she was granting it until the MOD came over and stopped it. When I stopped by the desk the next morning, the agent put me in for a late checkout so I could move my belongings to the new room as soon as it was ready. This was a perfectly reasonable solution. The challenge i have is that the MOD is attempting to implement a policy that he cannot produce in writing. Then it feels like retaliation with the denied late checkout because I told him that I would escalate this to Marriott Corp/Loyalty retention. I understand that each Marriott may have their own policies, but i have never encountered a one-night penalty because of an earlier-than-expected departure. When I contacted the Bonvoy loyalty department, they could not see a policy that included a one-night penalty at this property. Has anyone else encountered this or something similar?

Have you checked your confirmation details? Usually things like this are covered in the rate details in your confirmation email. I'd check that before escalating.

myperks Aug 29, 2021 4:51 pm

Early departure fee? (For that specific long term reservation)

1mileman Aug 29, 2021 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 33528434)
Early departure fee? (For that specific long term reservation)

thats what im thinking per my post above

Jon Maiman Aug 29, 2021 5:26 pm

It definitely varies by property and by demand at the property during the time of your reservation. If there is an early departure penalty for the long duration reservation you cancelled, it should have been explicitly stated in the reservation terms in the confirmation email. As others already noted, you need to check that confirmation email to see what terms apply to the reservation in question. If the early departure penalty wasn't in the terms, than you should indeed escalate. If it was in the terms, you really don't have a basis for escalating.

Regardless, from what you have described so far, it sounds like customer service is lacking at this property and/or you were singled out. I hope the situation improves for the remainder of your stay. If it doesn't check out the other options in the area. Perhaps Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club might be able to provide accomodation at an acceptable rate. There is also Embassy Suites and Hampton Inn nearby if you're okay with non Marriott options. Good Luck!

--Jon

cjjones051 Aug 29, 2021 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by 1mileman (Post 33528319)
Have you checked your confirmation details? Usually things like this are covered in the rate details in your confirmation email. I'd check that before escalating.

The closest verbiage they have is a rate change and a night penalty is not a rate change.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9fbfc807c.jpeg

cjjones051 Aug 29, 2021 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman (Post 33528502)
It definitely varies by property and by demand at the property during the time of your reservation. If there is an early departure penalty for the long duration reservation you cancelled, it should have been explicitly stated in the reservation terms in the confirmation email. As others already noted, you need to check that confirmation email to see what terms apply to the reservation in question. If the early departure penalty wasn't in the terms, than you should indeed escalate. If it was in the terms, you really don't have a basis for escalating.

Regardless, from what you have described so far, it sounds like customer service is lacking at this property and/or you were singled out. I hope the situation improves for the remainder of your stay. If it doesn't check out the other options in the area. Perhaps Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club might be able to provide accomodation at an acceptable rate. There is also Embassy Suites and Hampton Inn nearby if you're okay with non Marriott options. Good Luck!

--Jon

Thanks for your suggestions, I choose RI because of the kitchen, I didn’t want to eat out every night for 53 nights. I’ll stay long enough to achieve Plat (about 10 days) and then reassess all options.

It is irritating when individuals want to quote policy or makeup policy on the spot and do not want to provide the supporting documentation. The loyalty line customer service representative was unable to find this “policy.”

Jon Maiman Aug 29, 2021 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by cjjones051 (Post 33528535)
Thanks for your suggestions, I choose RI because of the kitchen, I didn’t want to eat out every night for 53 nights. I’ll stay long enough to achieve Plat (about 10 days) and then reassess all options.

It is irritating when individuals want to quote policy or makeup policy on the spot and do not want to provide the supporting documentation. The loyalty line customer service representative was unable to find this “policy.”

I totally understand on the need for a kitchen. I wouldn't want to eat out for 53 nights in a row either. Ko Olina Beach Club has kitchens, it is a Marriott Vacation Club property; however, I spot checked the rates and they are very high. Never hurts to call and ask; however, I doubt they can get close to the rate at the RI. So probably not a viable option due to cost.

--Jon

myperks Aug 29, 2021 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by cjjones051 (Post 33528535)

Would it be any different if the one night “early departure” charge was divided amongst your stayed nights as the “rate difference for changing length of stay”? I always thought change to length of stay and early departure are subject to the hotel’s fee (except my corporate rate at specific hotels clearly says no early departure fees)

having said that, this property seems to be unreasonable considering you are staying through just under a different reservation.

MSPeconomist Aug 29, 2021 8:16 pm

If you're assessed an early departure fee, just depart to a different hotel.

myperks Aug 29, 2021 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 33528771)
If you're assessed an early departure fee, just depart to a different hotel.

Departing doesn’t absolve the OP from an early departure fee (if the hotel wants to charge it)…. Plus the OP wants a kitchen for the extended stay so unless OP goes to Airbnb/local stuff , probably will stick with this property since Ko Alina is at least double the price. Seems weird that the hotel won’t extend the courtesy for long term guest.

cjjones051 Aug 30, 2021 3:24 am

Exactly, it is weird that they won't extend a courtesy for a long-term guest. I worked for Marriott for about 8yrs, and I have friends that are managers with Marriott still, and they are appalled by the service that I am receiving. i will continue the dispute with AMEX when the charge post and continue to follow up with Marriott corporate and Bonvoy loyalty retention customer service for about $169.70 when I estimate to spend about $10k for the duration of my stay.

myperks Aug 30, 2021 8:33 am

Originally Posted by cjjones051 (Post 33529230)
Exactly, it is weird that they won't extend a courtesy for a long-term guest. I worked for Marriott for about 8yrs, and I have friends that are managers with Marriott still, and they are appalled by the service that I am receiving. i will continue the dispute with AMEX when the charge post and continue to follow up with Marriott corporate and Bonvoy loyalty retention customer service for about $169.70 when I estimate to spend about $10k for the duration of my stay.

wait, you worked for Marriott for 8years and you don’t know about early departure fees or rate change when adjusting reservation dates? Interesting. I’m curious what the dispute reasoning is. I’m on the side that the hotel should have just waived it given your long term stay status but by the terms of the reservation, they are allowed to charge you something whether they call it early departure charge or rate change adjustment.

Tanic Aug 30, 2021 11:52 am

Originally Posted by cjjones051 (Post 33529230)

Marriott is just the sign they hang out front. You need to lodge a complaint with the owner of the hotel which appears to be Kapolei Hotel Partners II in Layton UT. Unlikely that Marriott/bonvOY will take much of an interest other than throwing you some points.