Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AAA Discount with a UK AA automotive card?

AAA Discount with a UK AA automotive card?

Old Aug 22, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by writerguyfl

Whether the hotel will provide the AAA discount in this scenario will depend upon the hotel. If you want to be 100% certain it will, you'll need to contact the hotel.
The Marriot site in the US also supports search by AAA rates.

Last edited by uanj; Aug 22, 2021 at 6:46 pm
Old Aug 22, 2021, 8:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
The terms for the AAA and CAA rates really can't be any clearer. It states that it is for AAA and or CAA only. What is ambiguous though is if some rates are for AAA only or if it also applies to CAA members. For example, hotels in San Diego list rates as AAA CAA blah blah blah, but for the parking package it lists it as AAA Parking Package, so not sure if CAA members qualify for that rate. Its a crappier rate than the one that list AAA CAA and also comes with valet parking included so I guess it only becomes a problem if one is a CAA member and really really wants to pay more.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 11:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
USA's AAA clubs and the UK's AA clubs have a reciprocal benefits agreement (including discounts) for each other's members.

That said, contact the hotel and ask them directly.
SPN Lifer, GentleGiant and ryw like this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by dgreen12
USA's AAA clubs and the UK's AA clubs have a reciprocal benefits agreement (including discounts) for each other's members.

That said, contact the hotel and ask them directly.
I can second this for the German ADAC and I had no issues in the past with AAA rates.

Some posts above are, however, disturbing. FT is not an American website but an international community and there is a large word outside the US. If an international member uses AA in the context of automobile clubs it might be appropriate to think twice whether such member is nuts and refers to American Airlines or whether there might me a thing called the Automobile Association without the word "American" in its name. There certainly is and it has been there for close to 120 years.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
so someone referring to UK Automobile Association IMHO should either spell it out or specially say "UK's AA" so there can't be any confusion that it's not referring to the "main" AA abbreviation on FlyerTalk.
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Here in the UK the AA is a partner club to the AAA / Arc Europe etc..

There ain't any confusion, the OP's post was clear: "Here in the UK the AA is a partner club to the AAA" . This has nothing to to with American Airlines or any other US entity. Your answers unfortunately was not clear but so more ignorant, not to say snotty.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
The last few times I checked in on an AAA rate at Marriott properties I was asked to show my membership card. Even if the UK AA membership is eligible for AAA hotel rates I might be wary that a random FD agent would not be aware of this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by strife
The last few times I checked in on an AAA rate at Marriott properties I was asked to show my membership card. Even if the UK AA membership is eligible for AAA hotel rates I might be wary that a random FD agent would not be aware of this.
I have been asked quite a few times, and every time my Dutch ANWB motorclub card has been fine. I always have the AAA 'show your card' link I posted above handy. in case I need to show it, but have never had to. Most FD's do not care at all what card you show them.
dgreen12 and writerguyfl like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
There ain't any confusion, the OP's post was clear: "Here in the UK the AA is a partner club to the AAA" . This has nothing to to with American Airlines or any other US entity. Your answers unfortunately was not clear but so more ignorant, not to say snotty.
American Airlines operates in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So is there is confusion because the OP kept saying "the AA card" as is if there only was one. But someone can have an American Airlines membership card in the UK!

So without clarifying UK's AA or AA automobile association or AA breakdown club, it wasn't clear to all of us US-based members.

And the thread title "AAA discount with an AA card?" makes no mention of UK-only. If it had, I wouldn't have even read this thread, but I was confused starting from the confusing thread title, and never having heard of any other AA other than American Airlines on FlyerTalk for the past 15+ years!

So I maintain that using a phrase like "the AA card" to mean something other than an American Airlines card is confusing to many on a forum called FlyerTalk.

I've asked a moderator to clarify the thread title if possible.
anteater likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 11:43 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by sdsearch
American Airlines operates in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So is there is confusion because the OP kept saying "the AA card" as is if there only was one. But someone can have an American Airlines membership card in the UK!

So without clarifying UK's AA or AA automobile association or AA breakdown club, it wasn't clear to all of us US-based members.

And the thread title "AAA discount with an AA card?" makes no mention of UK-only. If it had, I wouldn't have even read this thread, but I was confused starting from the confusing thread title, and never having heard of any other AA other than American Airlines on FlyerTalk for the past 15+ years!

So I maintain that using a phrase like "the AA card" to mean something other than an American Airlines card is confusing to many on a forum called FlyerTalk.

I've asked a moderator to clarify the thread title if possible.
Excuse me!

I said "Here in the UK the AA is a partner club to the AAA / Arc Europe etc." what does that have to do with American Airlines? This site is far more than airlines, hence this forum.

Do American Airlines partner with Arc Europe?

This is the Marriott forum and not solely American hotels. They operate worldwide.

​​​​​​I (normally) spend half my life in the USA but I'm afraid to say that life exists outside of the 50 states.

Just because a brakedown company exists called the AA who partners with the AAA is not my fault!

Incidentally the AA (Automobile Association) was founded 21 years before American Airlines.
Flying Lawyer and Fizzer like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Excuse me!

I said "Here in the UK the AA is a partner club to the AAA / Arc Europe etc." what does that have to do with American Airlines? This site is far more than airlines, hence this forum.

Do American Airlines partner with Arc Europe?

This is the Marriott forum and not solely American hotels. They operate worldwide.

​​​​​​I (normally) spend half my life in the USA but I'm afraid to say that life exists outside of the 50 states.

Just because a brakedown company exists called the AA who partners with the AAA is not my fault!

Incidentally the AA (Automobile Association) was founded 21 years before American Airlines.
Did you never hear of American Airlines being called AA? My only point is that you kept writing "the AA card" (and didn't mention that it was "breakdown" company until a later post), as if there was only one "AA card".

This is far from the first abbreviation confusion on FlyerTalk, it's just that I've not run into this one before. The one I remember (before Marriott Rewards got renamed Marriott Bonvoy) was whether someone was using MR to mean Marriott Rewards or Amex's Membership Rewards. In that sense, I'm very glad that Marriott Rewards got renamed Marriott Bonvoy.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It is amusing to me, with an English Mum, when fellow Americans go to great lengths to rationalize and justify their nation-centrism.
dgreen12, uanj, Fizzer and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Back in the old days the Royal Automobile Club's road service subsidiary (founded in 1897 and now RAC Limited) was the international partner club and we wouldn't have had this confusion.
GentleGiant likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 12:05 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Back in the old days the Royal Automobile Club's road service subsidiary (founded in 1897 and now RAC Limited) was the international partner club and we wouldn't have had this confusion.
But hold on the RAC might be confused with the John H Batten Airport or Batten International Airport which carries the code of RAC. We don't want confusion please as clearly on a hotel forum people must assume that we will only talk about Airline related subjects. 😂 😂
MADPhil likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
It is amusing to me, with an English Mum, when fellow Americans go to great lengths to rationalize and justify their nation-centrism.
Apparently some folks are a bit touchy about their acronyms.

David
dgreen12, SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
So for non AAA members eg AA in the UK, it looks like you have to book via the non Marriott version of the website as those sites don’t request the AAA number. The app requests the number too.

Before the app and site were updated to force users to enter their AAA membership number I always used to book the AAA rate and never had to show my UK AA card. Travel websites also promoted the benefit of AA UK being part of ArcEurope allowing the discounted rate.

Unless I’m missing something I’m not sure what showing the Show the Card would do when asked for proof of AAA membership for non US guests.
GentleGiant likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.