Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rank the St Regis' in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by person2898
Yeah, exactly. We arrive in Rome around noon and just want a day to recalibrate before jetting off again. So should I do three nights in Florence and then cut down the back half of Rome from 4 nights to 3?
If you have to stay within your date bounds, my advice would be to kill the W tag night and do 3 in Florence, keeping the 4 Rome nights at the end. If that's not possible, what you suggest would work, though it's ultimately a personal preference vis a vis how much time you want to spend in Rome vs Florence. It's hard to go wrong in either city.
person2898 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:31 am

We have a similar trip booked for early October and staying at all 3 as well. The only reason we picked the St Regis over the Gritti Venice was because we are hoping to use SNAs. I had heard that getting the suite upgrades approved at the Gritti are difficult, and they seem to be more generous with upgrades at StR Venice. I would love to be mistaken though!
person2898 likes this.

Last edited by Jenn0625; Aug 19, 2021 at 6:49 pm
Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Thank you all for the input. I'm surprised to see that Gritti is so great! I guess it's just my ignorance, but based on the info everyone provided I'll be forgoing StR Venice and doing the Gritti Palace. It's cheaper anyway using the rate I have access to. So my plan is the following.

W (brand new) - rome, 1 night
St Regis - florence, 2 nights
Gritti Palace - venice, 2 nights
St Regis - rome, 4 nights

Feedback welcome on this itinerary
Spend more time in Florence and and 1 less night in Rome
UKTraveller4Fun likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
We have a similar trip booked for early October and staying at all 3 as well. The only reason we picked the St Regis over the Gritti Venice was because we are hoping to use SNAs. I had heard that getting the suite upgrades at the Gritti are hard to get and they seems to be more generous with upgrades at StR Venice. I would love to be mistaken though!
Good luck.

As an aside, what is the proper pluralization of St. Regis? I'm drawn to "St. Regii."
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 12:09 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Thank you all for the input. I'm surprised to see that Gritti is so great! I guess it's just my ignorance, but based on the info everyone provided I'll be forgoing StR Venice and doing the Gritti Palace. It's cheaper anyway using the rate I have access to. So my plan is the following.

W (brand new) - rome, 1 night
St Regis - florence, 2 nights
Gritti Palace - venice, 2 nights
St Regis - rome, 4 nights

Feedback welcome on this itinerary
I have to say personally I would just get to Florence and do 3 nights there, extra effort on that first day but will allow you to settle more than be on the move within 24 hours of arriving, plus it will give you an extra night at one the best hotels around! If that isnt flexible I must say I would do 3 in Florence and 3 on Rome.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 1:20 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
Only commenting on time, this is a very very very short trip unless you have a, been there before, and b, part of a bigger trip. This short with time zone issues and moving so much………just my two cents
Old Aug 20, 2021, 6:27 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Good luck.

As an aside, what is the proper pluralization of St. Regis? I'm drawn to "St. Regii."
Regis is the genitive singular of Rex. The nominative plural is Reges and the genitive plural is Regum. It's the third declension so the inflection you allude to would not apply.

BTW, there's no particular reason why words of Latin origin should not follow English morphology (as is true for all other foreign imports), once they are incorporated into the language. The reason this happens for some Latin words is because of its historical prestige, and also because of various ill-fated attempts to impose a Latin structure over English grammar (like the old saw about never ending a sentence with a preposition).
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:15 pm

De-lurking to comment.

My husband and I are leaving on Tuesday for 20 nights in Italy on our honeymoon, including three nights at each of St. Regis Florence, St. Regis Rome, and Gritti Palace. I was uncertain about Venice, and this thread has been very reassuring! I will remember to report back when we return.

We have three nights at the end of the trip that are still up in the air (we had intended to stop in Paris on the way home to visit some friends, but with Covid uncertainty we decided to simplify). The Gritti is not available for those days - and the pricing on the St. Regis Venice is prohibitive - but the Danieli and JW Marriott are available. Any opinions on whether we should stay in Venice or spend a few nights elsewhere before returning to fly from Venice? Neither of us have ever been to Venice or spent time north of Emilia-Romagna, so I am at a bit of a loss.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by pepperoncini
De-lurking to comment.

My husband and I are leaving on Tuesday for 20 nights in Italy on our honeymoon, including three nights at each of St. Regis Florence, St. Regis Rome, and Gritti Palace. I was uncertain about Venice, and this thread has been very reassuring! I will remember to report back when we return.

We have three nights at the end of the trip that are still up in the air (we had intended to stop in Paris on the way home to visit some friends, but with Covid uncertainty we decided to simplify). The Gritti is not available for those days - and the pricing on the St. Regis Venice is prohibitive - but the Danieli and JW Marriott are available. Any opinions on whether we should stay in Venice or spend a few nights elsewhere before returning to fly from Venice? Neither of us have ever been to Venice or spent time north of Emilia-Romagna, so I am at a bit of a loss.
Have been to Venice several times. 2 nights max IMO is all you need unless you are a wine person and spend a day in the valpolicella area near Verona which is a wonderful experience.

When we were at the St Regis Florence last week, I purposely did 5 nights to get the one night free as I was on a points stay. The SNAs cleared. The hotel was fairly empty.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 6:55 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I used to travel to Verona every year for 15 or so years. Sometimes flying into Milan and others Venice. It is a wonderful city with great food, nice people and a beautiful setting. You would have to research which is the best place to stay as I always met a group of people and just stayed where they were staying. That will put you in the middle of Amarone country which is still my favorite wine. Last time I was in Venice there I stayed at the Europa and Regina ( now the St Regis) but over the years spent time at the Danieli which I really enjoyed.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Must do Florence.

never been to Rome after renovation, but seems very nice.

i would personally skip StR Venice and choose the Gritti instead.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
De-lurking to comment.

I'd recommend at least 3 nights in Venice -- we stayed for 5 during one trip and there is plenty to see, especially if you get away from St. Mark's square where most tourists congregate. It's magical when the day-trippers leave. You can visit other islands such as Burano where they have the colorful houses and make lace, for example, walk around the Jewish section, see the Peggy Guggenheim museum... make appointments for the Doge's Palace and the Basilica. I can't wait to get back there and few places are more romantic.

Edited to add: Especially if this is your first visit to Venice, take a water taxi to your hotel. There's no better way to arrive the first time.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Last edited by JayeJ; Aug 23, 2021 at 5:40 pm Reason: Forgot something.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
De-lurking to comment.

We stayed at the JW Marriott on our honeymoon. It was disappointing all the way around. It’s also inconvenient in many ways.

I loved the Danieli. We were upgraded to a lovely lagoon view room. My husband still talks about breakfast with a view.

We really enjoyed Emilia-Romagna but hotels aren’t the same caliber (if that’s important to you). The food is truly outstanding.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
I adore the St Regis Florence so much. We’ve been every year for the last 5 and it’s just consistently great. The staff is incredible. I was really disappointed they hadn’t reopened when we were there in June.

We stopped by the Westin rooftop bar and they said that they were alternating shifts with the StR staff throughout the hotel. That made me happy. Westin staff was lovely, but I’m partial to the St. Regis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.