Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

21 days mandatory quarantine - hotel refuses AMEX. Advices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

21 days mandatory quarantine - hotel refuses AMEX. Advices?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2021, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
My concern is the lack of care. Not sure if your wife chooses a public or private labour option. This is better be arranged before arrival.
My wife is already planning which university maclover jr. will be going 😂
Clinic-wise, everything had been sorted out already and she will make her final decision when in HK

No need to wait. You are exempted. Go ahead and book. The Immigration Department is unlikely to comment on individual cases. Make sure your marriage certificate (Certificato di Matrimonio) is either in English or has a English translation.
As we won’t be traveling together, we prefer immigration department to sent me a clear letter and sort all documentation before
Marriage certificate had been shared already with them
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by maclover
Clinic-wise, everything had been sorted out already and she will make her final decision when in HK
Mind sharing - Hong Kong, Kowloon or NT?

As we won’t be traveling together, we prefer immigration department to sent me a clear letter and sort all documentation before
Marriage certificate had been shared already with them
AFAICT - The Immigration Department is not going to do that.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Mind sharing - Hong Kong, Kowloon or NT?
i know one is close to the Peak, the other one I dunno.

I let the wife handle that
my duty is to take care of flights
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
i know one is close to the Peak, the other one I dunno.
Check out the following links:

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services...tml#a&firstTab

https://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immi...hkpassport.htm

https://conshongkong.esteri.it/consolato_hongkong/it/
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:59 pm

Not for such a large amount but more than once I've had HK hotels refund a prepaid deposit in cash and re-charge a different card for the total.

Get a Cantonese uncle to call and haggle with the manager if they initially don't want to play ball
Old Aug 8, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
SNIP
Off topic for the Mira Moon discussion but I can confirm that the Immigration Department will not give you a bespoke letter. We tried that already directly with them.

We also specifically asked whether we have to travel together (I'm the married partner of a HK resident) or I can come separately. We got no bespoke answer apart from links to the Immigration Department web site guidelines on this topic.

You can enter HK. You are the married spouse of a HK resident (or in your case citizen) and hence exempt from the ban on non-residents. You need the documentation to prove this and an airline that also understands this. The least risky would be Cathay as other airlines do not understand HK's immigration rules and exemptions but this is a discussion for the HK forum.

Risky also to travel separately as it introduces uncertainty given that your baseline is that you won't get a bespoke letter but you probably have no choice in this matter.

You will need proof of residency of your spouse (HK ID and passport I'd suggest) and the original marriage certificate. I'd get any copies certified with a HK government stamp. Just advice as I know what the authorities and their processes are like here.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
In case you’re interested, the courtyard in Sai Ying Pun is going to be a quarantine hotel from 1st September until 30th November. Maybe they accept Amex?

Actually when considering quarantine I found that the Mira Moon was the best option in terms of space and quality (half moon room and their food is produced in the kitchens at Mira TST but Courtyard Tung Chung is outsourced and their rooms are tiny). Both rented out gym equipment (treadmills, bikes, weights etc).

You can also get Marriott nights and point at Mira Moon.

Finally, think about the location for more food delivery options or where friends live if you need something delivered / get bored of the food.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Off topic for the Mira Moon discussion but I can confirm that the Immigration Department will not give you a bespoke letter. We tried that already directly with them.
The reason why the Immigration Department would not do that is to follow an international practice, which is not to comment on a person's admissibility. See - the thing with official letter is having official authority. So if an official letter has been issued on that matter, the admissibility will be presumed.

You will need proof of residency of your spouse (HK ID and passport I'd suggest) and the original marriage certificate.
Many forget that marriage certificates are not necessarily issued in English. As I have repeated said in FT - you have to make sure the person reading it how to read it. So if no English version is available, you will have to attach an official translation.

I'd get any copies certified with a HK government stamp. Just advice as I know what the authorities and their processes are like here.
Hong Kong does not have any legal authority to certify anything that is not issued by HKSAR Government. Beside, the authentication process deals with the person certifying the document, not the document itself.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for more insights.

I’ve seen the courtyard Marriott popping on the list and we already wrote asking menu samples. Quality is certainly a factor but variety is too.

as for documentation, HK government confirmed that marriage is registered in their system and hopefully my town hall provides and international version with different languages, English included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.