Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Experience with vacation club offers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

I have just received a special invitation offer by mail (used to get some on e-mail but never paid too much attention) in West resort vacation, 4 days and 3 nights for $199. Anyone with a good experience? I did not find related topics. In the fine print, it says there will be a presentation of 90 to 120 minutes which I don't think it's too bad.
1) Are these $199 inclusive? Any hidden fees/resort fees? Although it's not much clear, it seems the 199 for the 3 nights, not per night unless they are tricking me
2) They are also offering 15,000 Marriott points vs $75 resort certificate. Which is better? For someone who does not stay in Marriott hotels.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 4:20 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
There is a stickie thread just for FT members to request owner referrals (i.e. the same offer you received): Looking for Marriott Vacation Club owner referral. It might be worth perusing through that thread to see some of the various comments. Also, there is another thread on the 90-minute sales pitch you will have to go through: Marriott Vacation Club 90-minute sales presentation. It includes discussions on the merits of the different offers for sitting through the 90-minute sales pitch.

Basically, some people find these offers very enticing and others not so much. But given the size of the sticky thread, you won't be alone in purchasing one of those "special invitation" MVCI packages. Just remember, they are doing this to sell you timeshare week(s) of which purchasing directly through MVCI rather than on the secondary market probably means it will be way overpriced.
SPN Lifer and cfabar1 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Which Westin MVC property? If you name the property, then you'll be able to receive more specific comments. For example, IF the property is the Westin Princeville Resort, then $199 for 3 nights is a damn good deal that people seek owner referrals.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Generally the preview packages are a good deal. All depends where you want to go and if you're interested in staying there. I'm not sure which property you're talking about here however.

The 199 covers your room. You'd have to check the fine print if there are taxes on top of that, but usually it covers the stay at the resort. Any incidental spend for food/beverage etc is your responsibility to cover.
For points vs resort credit, I'd take the $75 over the 15k points since you said you don't stay at Marriott hotels. The points wouldn't be of any benefit to you.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Generally the preview packages are a good deal. All depends where you want to go and if you're interested in staying there. I'm not sure which property you're talking about here however.

The 199 covers your room. You'd have to check the fine print if there are taxes on top of that, but usually it covers the stay at the resort. Any incidental spend for food/beverage etc is your responsibility to cover.
For points vs resort credit, I'd take the $75 over the 15k points since you said you don't stay at Marriott hotels. The points wouldn't be of any benefit to you.
It's a $75 "resort certificate." It would be good to know the T&Cs such as whether it can be used for alcohol, taxes, tips. I'm guessing it's for this stay and not a Marriott gift card that must be used on some later stay.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah normally its effectively a resort credit, usually given as paper certificates that can be used for food/bev/incidentals etc on property. Some are also usable at local establishments in the area... but again that depends on location and the actual resort, which isn't mentioned by the OP.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys. I was referring to the Westin Willow Villas in Palm Desert
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
I have just received a special invitation offer by mail (used to get some on e-mail but never paid too much attention) in West resort vacation, 4 days and 3 nights for $199. Anyone with a good experience? I did not find related topics. In the fine print, it says there will be a presentation of 90 to 120 minutes which I don't think it's too bad.

- We did this last year ($499 for 4 nights/5 days - Marriott on the Big Island over Christmas (where you expect to pay that much per night if not more).

1) Are these $199 inclusive? Any hidden fees/resort fees? Although it's not much clear, it seems the 199 for the 3 nights, not per night unless they are tricking me.
- You can call and ask for fine print but in our case the quoted $499 rate was inclusive of all taxes and resort fees. We only paid for parking.
You will be getting night credits but not points for $ spent (if I remember correctly). An no elite benefits like breakfast etc.
2) They are also offering 15,000 Marriott points vs $75 resort certificate. Which is better? For someone who does not stay in Marriott hotels.
You would have to spend $75 at the resort restaurant/shop etc. so the real value is like $30-35. Marriott point is about $0.006 (or even lower because of Covid and devaluation). I would personally take the points because we spend and earn a lot. But if you are not staying at Marriott at lall, you can simply spend that ceritficate for breakfast.

In our case the required presentation was quick and easy because the salesman told us that there is no value in a timeshare for a lifetime Titanium who stayed 85 nights during the pandemic year...
You will be fine with taking an advantage of this offer if you promise here not to purchase the timeshare!
Old Sep 1, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I got one of these this week for The Westin Desert Willow, the $75 is a Visa Gift Card in my letter, so if I go I'll take that. I wouldn't mind playing some golf in the area and its drivable.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Don't forget to post back to this thread on how things worked out.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.