Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Citrine (Tribute Portfolio) - Palo Alto, CA [Master Thread]

Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Quick review: had a great 1-night stay this month with family, with good elite recognition:
  • Hotel Citrine opened 3 months ago, across the way from its sister property AC Hotel, with staff / valet going back and forth between buildings as needed.
  • Good Titanium recognition with the elite+1 breakfast and 4pm late checkout.
  • Booked a standard king and received UG to a huge suite with 2Q bedroom, Q sofabed in the living room, facing front of hotel along San Antonio Rd. Room still had the faint new-home smell from the furniture and decor.
  • Flooring consisted of the luxury vinyl planks with area rugs under the furniture.
  • Balcony spanned the length of the living room and was furnished with comfy patio furniture.
  • Received a nice amenity bag, drinks, and balloons for my birthday.
  • Staff was very responsive to all our requests through chat, and the restaurant staff offered to deliver breakfast order to my room since to-go bags weren't readily accessible at the time.
  • Enjoyed the small pool (~11'x 10') surrounded by deck with 7 lounge chairs and 3 good-sized cabanas. Not very busy, so no problem camping out in one of the cabanas.
Some room for improvement:
- no luggage trolleys available during our whole stay
- fries were soggy/oily for our to-go dinner
- no DND door hangers
- one of the light fixtures didn't have a light bulb

All in all, we found this place to be a good alternative to Hotel Nia in Menlo Park (similar styling and service) and look forward to a return stay.

dgreen12, LIH Prem and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I think I've seen "in room" plunge pools bigger than that...
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I think I've seen "in room" plunge pools bigger than that...
I hear ya on that ... I suppose it would've been quite a different experience had it been busy. I might be off in my pool size estimate, but the sign said a "Bathing Load max" of 14 persons, meaning it would have to be ~280 sqft or so. It didn't matter to my daughter, she was grateful to have had the pool to herself virtually all afternoon.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How far is this from downtown Palo Alto and/or the Stanford campus?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How far is this from downtown Palo Alto and/or the Stanford campus?
About 10-12 mins away going down Alma or Middlefield.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:30 am

Exclamation Nice location but rewards users beware.

Just finished an overnight stay at this location. Nice location with a super modern, sleek and clean look. Front desk was very friendly and courteous, giving us a 2pm checkout. As mentioned by ntamayo the rooms were LVP which I prefer over carpet. The bed was super comfortable, room had dimmable lights which was a nice touch. Also the WIFI was open network, so no need for entering room number and info to connect. It was probably the fastest hotel WIFI I've ever had, Speedtest had it nearly at 200mbps. Parking was valet only but you could request your car by text link and they were quick to bring the car. There was some street parking if you wanted to avoid the valet/parking fees.

Now for the negatives, the hotel is a bit overpriced ($250+ cash/50K points) IMO for what it offers as a limited service hotel. It felt like American style AC property, ironically there's an AC hotel located on the same lot, sharing an entrance and parking lot. By comparison the AC location was $180 or 35K for equivalent nights.

In the room, the toilet had issues, slowly draining water so it was running every 15 minutes or so. Also the bathroom lights are activated by motion sensor, which is great feature when you're trying use the restroom in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, our room had a faulty sensor or a critter crawling around because the bathroom lights kicked on twice at night, waking me up. We also had issues with our keys, initially they didn't work after checking in. When we went back to the front desk they were able to program one key, but couldn't get a second key to program. They told us to come back later and pick one up. Would've been nice if they brought the key to our room once they figured out the technical issues. The following day, one of keys quit working again.

The part that ticked me off was after checkout. We booked the room with reward points so I didn't bother reviewing the folio before leaving. When I got the email later in the day, I noticed there was an added "RM Charge- Reward Redemption" charge of $46 per room. I'm guessing this a property specific charge because I haven't had this assessed on my other recent reward stays. Maybe I'm overreacting a bit but I thought it was bit of bogus add-on charge and was irritated that it wasn't disclosed when booking or when checking in. I wouldn't recommend this location if you're booking with points, as the redemption rate of 50K a night is already steep without them tacking on an additional fee for using points.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by ntamayo
Quick review: had a great 1-night stay this month with family, with good elite recognition:

Some room for improvement:
- no luggage trolleys available during our whole stay
- fries were soggy/oily for our to-go dinner
- no DND door hangers
- one of the light fixtures didn't have a light bulb

All in all, we found this place to be a good alternative to Hotel Nia in Menlo Park (similar styling and service) and look forward to a return stay.

They've since added DND door hangers. They now have luggage carts too but are located outside by the door thats right next to the elevators. They aren't readily visible if using the main entrance.
ntamayo likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by dascc
RM Charge- Reward Redemption" charge of $46 per room.
Have you disputed this scam charge with the hotel or contacted Marriott? I remember last month guestswere charged $30 per night redemption fee from JW Marriott Los Cabos and got corporate involved and finally the hotel conceded and refunded the fees to guests. Citrine is worse than JW Los Cabos by even not disclosing this fee during guest booking.

Marriott isn't adding a surcharge for award stays

Marriott Guests Are Getting Refunds If They Spent Points At 3

I just tried to test book one night in September and no other cost showing except 50K point.

I did book quite a few nights from August to October for staycation ( less than 2 miles from my home) with 2021 Preview rate ($121 + $19 tax ) in June just around its opening time, actually last night I cancelled today's 1N stay. Next weekend I will stay 2N there.
MSPeconomist and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Now for the negatives, the hotel is a bit overpriced ($250+ cash/50K points) IMO for what it offers as a limited service hotel. It felt like American style AC property, ironically there's an AC hotel located on the same lot, sharing an entrance and parking lot. By comparison the AC location was $180 or 35K for equivalent nights.
When I got the email later in the day, I noticed there was an added "RM Charge- Reward Redemption" charge of $46 per room. I'm guessing this a property specific charge because I haven't had this assessed on my other recent reward stays. Maybe I'm overreacting a bit but I thought it was bit of bogus add-on charge and was irritated that it wasn't disclosed when booking or when checking in. I wouldn't recommend this location if you're booking with points, as the redemption rate of 50K a night is already steep without them tacking on an additional fee for using points.
Wow, thanks for the heads up on current pricing and redemption ... agreed that would be overpriced based on what they're currently offering. I believe we booked our stay on a local promo rate for their grand opening which was less than half of current cash rate.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The part that ticked me off was after checkout. We booked the room with reward points so I didn't bother reviewing the folio before leaving. When I got the email later in the day, I noticed there was an added "RM Charge- Reward Redemption" charge of $46 per room. I'm guessing this a property specific charge because I haven't had this assessed on my other recent reward stays. Maybe I'm overreacting a bit but I thought it was bit of bogus add-on charge and was irritated that it wasn't disclosed when booking or when checking in. I wouldn't recommend this location if you're booking with points, as the redemption rate of 50K a night is already steep without them tacking on an additional fee for using points.
You absolutely SHOULD NOT pay that. I believe it's actually what the hotel charges Marriott for the redemption, and it was wrongly charged to you instead. Start with the property, and if they don't agree immediately to refund, contact Marriott corporate. Do not let them off until it is refunded. And if it takes more than one call, I would flame them on TA.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You absolutely SHOULD NOT pay that. I believe it's actually what the hotel charges Marriott for the redemption, and it was wrongly charged to you instead. Start with the property, and if they don't agree immediately to refund, contact Marriott corporate. Do not let them off until it is refunded. And if it takes more than one call, I would flame them on TA.
you SHOULD absolutely pay that and ask for the 50k points back 😉 (if it was the reimbursement rate)
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
you SHOULD absolutely pay that and ask for the 50k points back 😉 (if it was the reimbursement rate)
Good luck with that.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I sent a message through the Marriott website about the reward charge. It said it would 5 days for a response. Ill post an update when I hear from them.
​​​
Old Aug 13, 2021, 8:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Now for the negatives, the hotel is a bit overpriced ($250+ cash/50K points)
Welcome to the Bay Area. The Ramada Inn regularly charges that much.

I also had a stay here recently and really enjoyed it, had a similar experience to OP, however I did not receive any upgrade.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by nexus7556
Welcome to the Bay Area. The Ramada Inn regularly charges that much.
Indeed. I've seen the Hyatt House Belmont at $1000/night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.