Wiki Posts
Search

Re-qualifying for Status 2021

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2021, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott, SPG
Re-qualifying for Status 2021

How is your status re-qualifying going for 2021?

After missing out on Platinum in 2019 due to meeting reward that never credited and the whole pandemic shutdown, I decided to try to re-qualify this year as I am hoping to do some more travelling this year and next. With the double nights promotions (and others) I managed to make Titanium Elite with a total spend of $1,724! ..... I don't think I will aim for Ambassador at this rate!

Old May 29, 2021, 9:48 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
2020 Titaniums could requalify for Titanium this year after just 1 night. 2020 Ambassadors could requalify for Titankum after 0 stays. Marriott also handed out Platinum status to anyone in the US that wanted it through the Bonvoy Brilliant.

Seems like the elite numbers will be quite inflated this year. I still hope Marriott rolls over nights in the same way for 2022 though lol.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Still need 8k spending and 13 nights

Definitely reach the nights easily, spending wise not very sure.
Old May 30, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by WasKnown
2020 Titaniums could requalify for Titanium this year after just 1 night. 2020 Ambassadors could requalify for Titankum after 0 stays. Marriott also handed out Platinum status to anyone in the US that wanted it through the Bonvoy Brilliant.

Seems like the elite numbers will be quite inflated this year. I still hope Marriott rolls over nights in the same way for 2022 though lol.
I would say the night based elites will see their numbers increased next year.
However, spending based one (Ambassador) might get some reduction.

For myself, usually the bulk of my spending comes from my leisure stays at various aspirational (a.k.a expensive!) properties.
Business stays will only contribute less than 5k since the hotel I stay for business will be those around $80-100/ night range
Need more than half year stays to get 20k spending for ambassador.
Old May 30, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kaizen7
I would say the night based elites will see their numbers increased next year.
However, spending based one (Ambassador) might get some reduction.

For myself, usually the bulk of my spending comes from my leisure stays at various aspirational (a.k.a expensive!) properties.
Business stays will only contribute less than 5k since the hotel I stay for business will be those around $80-100/ night range
Need more than half year stays to get 20k spending for ambassador.
Ironically, this will probably be the only year I ever hit Ambassador status. Doesn’t seem like anything special though!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 2:46 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I was a 2020 Titanium, and already am Platinum for 2022 thanks to the 38 night boost + 15 EQNs from a credit card. Am currently at 59 nights this year, and am hoping to make Titanium again for 2022, though it depends on some Fall travel plans which are still up in the air. I don't think there's any way my spend will be high enough to get to Ambassador.

Most years I'm only in the Platinum range anyways, but 2019 was a higher-than-average travel year for me and I qualified for Titanium, which turned out to work out to my advantage, but it'd be nice to have a full "normal" year to experience Titanium benefits!
Old May 30, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Spent Q1 focusing on requalifying for Hyatt Globalist. Check
Spending Q2 and part of Q3 to hit Ambassador again. Then i can play the field
WasKnown likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference

I'm honestly a little worried about the impact on some elite benefits (e.g. 4PM checkout). I've had one or two hotel managers note that juggling checkouts is actually starting to cause problems (which are, in turn, compounded by often being somewhat short-staffed on the housekeeping front).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm honestly a little worried about the impact on some elite benefits (e.g. 4PM checkout). I've had one or two hotel managers note that juggling checkouts is actually starting to cause problems (which are, in turn, compounded by often being somewhat short-staffed on the housekeeping front).
4 PM checkout is guaranteed so I wouldn’t worry about it. Suite upgrades will definitely be more competitive.
Old May 30, 2021, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
4 PM checkout is guaranteed
However, Marriott does not penalize a property that does not fulfull this "guarantee", so is it really a guarantee?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
However, Marriott does not penalize a property that does not fulfull this "guarantee", so is it really a guarantee?
There was a pretty long chain of posts in the late check-out thread about a property being corrected on this for all future guests. Personally, I have yet to experience any issues with late check-out, even in the US. If Platinum continues to be so easy to get, I would not be shocked if they removed the guarantee. It seems that credit card elite statuses (Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, etc) never have guaranteed late check out.
Old May 30, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
It seems that credit card elite statuses (Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, etc) never have guaranteed late check out.
Chase Hyatt cardholders get Discoverist with 2 pm checkout.

Back in the SPG days, AmEx Plat came with Gold status & 4 pm checkout.
cfabar1 and WasKnown like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by econ
Chase Hyatt cardholders get Discoverist with 2 pm checkout.

Back in the SPG days, AmEx Plat came with Gold status & 4 pm checkout.
I guess the small chains have to do it. But I’m pretty confident that Marriott will nuke Platinum guaranteed check-out if they ever make it a credit card status. Ultimately, their customers are the franchisees. Everything they do for hotel guests is just to empower the Marriott marketing machine so they can deliver more value to hotel developers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
4 PM checkout is guaranteed so I wouldn’t worry about it.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If in one's room from 12:00 to 16:00, it is fairly safe to insist on the guarantee, even if law enforcement is called.

(Have a screenshot copy of the guarantee ready to display, as that is part of the contractual terms and conditions.)

However, if off-property between 12:00 to 16:00, there is a chance your personal possessions will be removed from the room, and you will have been Bonv°yed.

Of course, if they breach their contract, a partial or complete chargeback might be warranted.
WasKnown likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
If in one's room from 12:00 to 16:00, it is fairly safe to insist on the guarantee, even if law enforcement is called.

(Have a screenshot copy of the guarantee ready to display, as that is part of the contractual terms and conditions.)

However, if off-property between 12:00 to 16:00, there is a chance your personal possessions will be removed from the room, and you will have been Bonv°yed.

Of course, if they breach their contract, a partial or complete chargeback might be warranted.
However, that contract also says you need to ask for it at check-in (so the hotel can plan out housekeeping needs on that day). The hotel could probably just claim you didn't ask (even if you did).

(Mind you, if the cops are dealing with such a situation my guess is that they're likely to roll their eyes and tell the manager that they have actual work to do.)

As to the chargeback, I tend to agree in principle given that there's a good case that someone would pick a hotel on the basis of a late checkout being available/included, even potentially paying a bit more for the room so as not to have to be out at 11:00 or 12:00.
SPN Lifer and WasKnown like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.