Community
Wiki Posts
Search

120K points from employer

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donotblink
What are the circumstances that this came about by the way, seems like kind of an odd compensation element, unless you happen to work for Marriott or maybe Amex/Chase?
management consulting company. Employees typically do a lot of traveling.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chelski
ask the employer to reduce it to .5 cents and say you don’t know if they have any value do to all the pandemic travel restrictions
Its take it or leave it so no option for negotiation.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Yes, in your case it is essentially a no-brainer. It's possible to redeem 120k points for less than $384 in value, but it's also possible to redeem them for $1000+... and it's not too difficult to get at least $600 in value out of them.
Exactly what I was thinking.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 6:26 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
I think he’s saying his employer is going to value them at .8cpp cash, so it will add 980 to his taxable income, resulting in 380 in additional tax at his combined 40% marginal fed/state/city rate in NY. That’s something like .3 cpp net.

I’d do it,
This is likely correct. Gross income will be increased to reflect the $980. Employer will have to cover their share of taxes, but it will raise income for OP. Seems like a good deal.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 6:33 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yoyo
You should be able to contest the points valuation with the IRS. There was a thread a number of years back, may have been in the OMNI forum though, I think where someone mentioned doing this. They just took screen shots of the price of what it would cost them if they were paying cash and used that as the actual cash basis when preparing their tax forms. I don't think it is hard or complex to revalue the points the main thing is you will want a way to prove your valuation: https://www.thebalanceeveryday.com/h...s-taxes-897038

Even though this is an employer and probably being added to your normal pay rather than a 3rd party sweepstakes win, I'd guess the process would be similar.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The threads about contesting valuation are usually done when the sweepstakes organizer attempts to claim an unrealistic valuation on a large prize. You win 1 million miles, get a 1099 for $30,000 - *now* it's worth the time and effort to contest the value with the IRS.

OP's employer isn't trying to do him dirty - 0.8c is fair for Bonvoy. He's on this forum, he has Gold status, so we can assume that he knows at least a little bit about Marriott and could use a hotel room in the next year or so. I'd take the points and enjoy it.
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
You should be able to contest the points valuation with the IRS. There was a thread a number of years back, may have been in the OMNI forum though, I think where someone mentioned doing this. They just took screen shots of the price of what it would cost them if they were paying cash and used that as the actual cash basis when preparing their tax forms. I don't think it is hard or complex to revalue the points the main thing is you will want a way to prove your valuation: https://www.thebalanceeveryday.com/h...s-taxes-897038
But what's the basis for disputing the valuation? The valuation being proposed by the OP's employer is below Marriott's standard price (1.25 cents), slightly below the lowest price offered this year (0.825 cents) and barely above the lowest price in the past 6 months (0.78 cents).

It's possible to obtain miles more cheaply though a CC sign-up bonus if you only look at the annual fee, but the IRS would likely argue that's not a comparable transaction (and therefore not representative of fair market value) since it requires being approved for the card and spending thousands of dollars on the card.

I don't see what market data the OP could use to justify a lower valuation than what the employer is indicating.
SPN Lifer, dayone and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 11:08 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It may be possible, but I doubt the OP would want to fool with extra IRS scrutiny over the ~$150 he’d save if he successfully argued a .4 valuation instead of .8. But this is FT so we’ve got to sit around and debate it
Old May 4, 2021, 12:45 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I don't see what market data the OP could use to justify a lower valuation than what the employer is indicating.
What I would do would be to capture the cheapest cash price for the room type I reserve using those points. If the "value" is above what his company is valuing the points at, I'd not do anything. If the value is below what the company says the value is, I'd do a screen print showing the dates, the cash rates for the rooms and keep a copy of my actual reservation using the points. Then when doing my taxes, I'd use that valuation. For example, if I were to use the points for award that values the points at $.006 per point, then I'd use that to get the taxable value.

I'd never use the valuation of what it might cost me to purchase those points as I didn't purchase them. I'd use what "value" I received when actually using the points and then decide if it is worth updating my taxes. And compare to what you actually reserved, not including any "upgrades" or other elite benefits the hotel might give you. And of course, I'm definitely not a tax accountant, don't play one on TV, and didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So don't take my interpretations of anything as definitive.

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
It may be possible, but I doubt the OP would want to fool with extra IRS scrutiny over the ~$150 he’d save if he successfully argued a .4 valuation instead of .8. But this is FT so we’ve got to sit around and debate it
Everyone values their own time differently and have their own situations. So that $150 could mean a lot to some or next nothing to someone else. I'll leave that valuation to OP to decide if the effort is worth it or not.

Last edited by hhoope01; May 4, 2021 at 12:50 pm
Old May 4, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If one were so inclined, they could demonstrate a terribly low value for Bonvoy points. Just find a Florida hotel room during hurricane season. The points rate will probably be stupid-high and the cash rate pretty low. Start with a Sunday night 1-night stay.

You could probably do this with a lot of seasonal locations. In theory the hotel could have a bit lower off-peak award but they often don't.
Old May 4, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the idea is to look at what it would have cost to pay for the reservation the OP uses, not find some random hotel somewhere and random date for the calculation.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think the idea is to look at what it would have cost to pay for the reservation the OP uses, not find some random hotel somewhere and random date for the calculation.
The IRS is going to see this as taxable in 2021 - perhaps well before any reservation is made.

(To be clear, I think OP should accept the 0.8 as fair...the juice isn't worth the squeeze to do anything else.)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:31 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
What I would do would be to capture the cheapest cash price for the room type I reserve using those points. If the "value" is above what his company is valuing the points at, I'd not do anything. If the value is below what the company says the value is, I'd do a screen print showing the dates, the cash rates for the rooms and keep a copy of my actual reservation using the points. Then when doing my taxes, I'd use that valuation. For example, if I were to use the points for award that values the points at $.006 per point, then I'd use that to get the taxable value.

I'd never use the valuation of what it might cost me to purchase those points as I didn't purchase them. I'd use what "value" I received when actually using the points and then decide if it is worth updating my taxes. And compare to what you actually reserved, not including any "upgrades" or other elite benefits the hotel might give you.
The term in question here is "fair market value" (what a buyer and seller would willingly agree to in the marketplace), not "worst possible value you could find anywhere". You (or the OP) would be free to make whatever arguments you wanted, but I highly doubt that this approach would be successful.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
management consulting company. Employees typically do a lot of traveling.
Yup. Management. Just avoid Ben Dover.

David
Old May 6, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by WSTC
If you have a marginal rate of 40%, please stop doing your own taxes and hire a professional -- points or no points.

Also, you should be more concerned with your effective tax rate than your marginal.

Not scolding, just offering sincere advice.
I disagree with every part of this. Marginal rate is the appropriate rate to consider for this decision of whether or not to take the points, because they will be taxed at the marginal rate. Effective rate is irrelevant for this purpose.

Also, hiring a professional doesn't magically change your tax situation. If you get your income from "simple" sources and you know what you are doing, you will get just as good of an outcome doing taxes yourself (and save on tax prep fees).
SPN Lifer and WasKnown like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.