Community
Wiki Posts
Search

120K points from employer

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoyo
Yeah but the cost to me really is only marginal tax rate X $960 which is like getting 120K points for $380 (assuming tax rate of 40%). This can be considered as a good deal, correct? I don't have the option to get the cash. Seemed like these points can only be used for personal travel.
Will you use these points/transfer/etc? Instead of paying cash.
Other wise the value is nil and you have paid $$$ to the tax office.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
Are you a W2 employee? I am trying to figure how the employer handles this themselves. If this was a cash bonus, you would not only be taxed, but the employer would pay FICA. I wonder what the mechanics are for the employer to compensate you yet not have some normal tax liability themselves.
W2 employee so likely I won't see 1099. It did state these points are for personal use only and employee waives all the rights to sue the employer if something were to happen during the Marriott stay.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WSTC
If you have a marginal rate of 40%, please stop doing your own taxes and hire a professional -- points or no points.

Also, you should be more concerned with your effective tax rate than your marginal.

Not scolding, just offering sincere advice.
40% is guesstimate as there might be state tax invovled so I just use it as a worst case scenario. I appricate your advice.
WSTC likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Will you use these points/transfer/etc? Instead of paying cash.
Other wise the value is nil and you have paid $$$ to the tax office.
Points will be used to book personal marriott hotel stays instead of paying cash.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:15 pm

So sounds like it will show up as some imputed income and you will pay FICA as well as personal income tax.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would assume it's Bonvoy points since this was posted in the Marriott forum.

Still, it would be useful to know whether OP has elite status as that tends to make points more valuable.
Sorry yes these are Bonvoy points. I only have crappy GOLD status.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
@yoyo, if there's truly no cash option or other option that's more valuable, buying points at a cash cost of ~0.32 cents seems like a good deal. (And assuming that 40% is the effective tax rate you'll pay - that there are no benefits clawed back or anything like that that would increase effective cost to you beyond the applicable statutory income tax rates)

Unlike a contest where the taxable value is usually not stated in advance, it seems that the OP is being provided with explicit notice of what the value of the points will be for tax purposes. The value at which the OP is being offered the miles is also already a discount to the Marriott posted price of 1.25 cents per point, and slightly below Marriott's recent 50% bonus promo sales (0.825 cents per point). So it would likely be challenging to argue with the IRS that 0.8 cents doesn't represent fair market value, since that seems to be below any price Marriott has recently publicly offered and the OP would have been informed of (and essentially agree to) the valuation before accepting the points.
Thank you. I searched in the forum it seemed like people even went for point purchase with 60% bonus and this seemed like a better deal.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
120,000 points of what?

I'm inclined to say "yes", since you're probably talking about a US airline and I'd happily buy 120,000 AA, UA, AS, WN, or DL for $400 without thinking twice and without having an immediate use of the miles.

I'd also buy Marriott or Hyatt points at that rate without thinking twice. Hilton or IHG can still be a good deal but I'd want to have a purpose for the points in mind.

Home-grown points from some other travel program....would need more details.
Sorry I was not clear. They are Bonvoy points.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Thank you. I searched in the forum it seemed like people even went for point purchase with 60% bonus and this seemed like a better deal.
What people are prepared to pay and what fair market value is aren't necessarily that directly related. I would happily pay 0.8C per point to top up my account to reach a threshold to book an award stay. But if someone offered me 120K points vs $960 (taxed or tax free) I might be inclined to choose the latter.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
What people are prepared to pay and what fair market value is aren't necessarily that directly related. I would happily pay 0.8C per point to top up my account to reach a threshold to book an award stay. But if someone offered me 120K points vs $960 (taxed or tax free) I might be inclined to choose the latter.
I think majority people here would choose $960 over 120K points but ths is not exactly the case here. I am given 120K but I only have pay income tax on the $960 which at 40% marginal rate amounts to a payment of $384.
Old May 3, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
I think majority people here would choose $960 over 120K points but ths is not exactly the case here. I am given 120K but I only have pay income tax on the $960 which at 40% marginal rate amounts to a payment of $384.
I don't think the points are necessarily a poor value, but you can get 100K+ in Bonvoy value with some credit card sign ups that would come out to a lower cost than the taxes, if you are eligible

Might be a better alternative or a nice complement to the perk from your employer if you find the points useful.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:17 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I think he’s saying his employer is going to value them at .8cpp cash, so it will add 980 to his taxable income, resulting in 380 in additional tax at his combined 40% marginal fed/state/city rate in NY. That’s something like .3 cpp net.

I’d do it,
EuropeanPete and ryw like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:28 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
What are the circumstances that this came about by the way, seems like kind of an odd compensation element, unless you happen to work for Marriott or maybe Amex/Chase?
birdiedouble likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Yes, in your case it is essentially a no-brainer. It's possible to redeem 120k points for less than $384 in value, but it's also possible to redeem them for $1000+... and it's not too difficult to get at least $600 in value out of them.
Old May 4, 2021, 3:47 am

Yeah but the cost to me really is only marginal tax rate X $960 which is like getting 120K points for $380 (assuming tax rate of 40%). This can be considered as a good deal, correct? I don't have the option to get the cash. Seemed like these points can only be used for personal travel.
ask the employer to reduce it to .5 cents and say you don’t know if they have any value do to all the pandemic travel restrictions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.