Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Apr 29, 2021] Extended Again! Free Night Awards and Points Expiration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Apr 29, 2021] Extended Again! Free Night Awards and Points Expiration

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude
No Change on mine Still showing MAR BV AX FNA up to 35k points.

Expires: 08/01/2021
comprehension needs some work.

first post by lurker says effective May 7th
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I am happy about the extension on the expiration date as I noted in my earlier post. I guess the only negative impact is that this will mean that any certificate award reservation we want to make AFTER 8/1 will not be bookable until AFTER May 7. Am I understanding this correctly?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:36 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by christianj
I am happy about the extension on the expiration date as I noted in my earlier post. I guess the only negative impact is that this will mean that any certificate award reservation we want to make AFTER 8/1 will not be bookable until AFTER May 7. Am I understanding this correctly?
I believe you can hold your space with points. Then call agents to swap out the FN for points. Agents may claim that there could be some rate change. But with most rest of year bookings already in peak mode, I do not see much difference.

Yes, happy with the extension even after some other odd folks preaching not give us the extension.

Last edited by RedSun; Apr 29, 2021 at 9:51 pm
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by RedSun
When the TP got lost, it is gone. I think Marriott issues a new TP with a new certificate number. So you get a new life.
New certificate number, but transaction details remain. So, a rep can still see the original issue date. Even though I had plans to use the certificate in July and would have been fine with an 8/1 expiration date, different reps kept referring to the original issue date in August, 2018 and not the date of the conversion in 2019.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by rny321
The original issue date is shown in the App. For most certificates the original expiration will be one year later.
Maybe I am being dense... but I don't see my certificates in the app... where do I find them? On the website I have no problem finding them but not so much on the app...
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by fwfdan
Maybe I am being dense... but I don't see my certificates in the app... where do I find them? On the website I have no problem finding them but not so much on the app...
Login, scroll down to and click Certificates, the issue date is on left and the expiration date is on right.

I believe that a certificate that was converted from an old travel certificate to a new one or reissued for some reason will have the show the date of the new certificate in the App rather than that of the old one. In my case, a travel certificate was cancelled due to a mistake by a Rep and replaced with by one with a new issue and expiration date. As I mentioned earlier, the transaction history doesn't go away, so Marriott "might" consider the issue date the date the old travel package was purchased rather than the date that the new certificate was created.

Last edited by rny321; Apr 29, 2021 at 4:03 pm
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Login, scroll down to and click Certificates, the issue date is on left and the expiration date is on right.

I believe that a certificate that was converted from an old travel certificate to a new one or reissued for some reason will have the show the date of the new certificate in the App rather than that of the old one. In my case, a travel certificate was cancelled due to a mistake by a Rep and replaced with by one with a new issue and expiration date. As I mentioned earlier, the transaction history doesn't go away, so Marriott "might" consider the issue date the date the old travel package was purchased rather than the date that the new certificate was created.
When I open the app I'm automatically signed in. Under account there's nothing that says certificates. The number of points is correct... and it shows activity and an upcoming trip. No where do I see certificates ... And interesting enough if I tried to book a night it directs me to the website. Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall the app...

I can wait to see if my two are extended next week. Pretty sure they both will be.

Edit to add : reinstall no difference... I am using the android app if that matters
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by fwfdan; Apr 29, 2021 at 4:19 pm
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Now if all Cat 5 properties would charge 35K points...
tbm13 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:02 pm

When I open the app I'm automatically signed in. Under account there's nothing that says certificates. The number of points is correct... and it shows activity and an upcoming trip. No where do I see certificates ... And interesting enough if I tried to book a night it directs me to the website. Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall the app...

I can wait to see if my two are extended next week. Pretty sure they both will be.

Edit to add : reinstall no difference... I am using the android app if that matters
I was using an Apple one, so that could be the difference.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:07 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

New certificate number, but transaction details remain. So, a rep can still see the original issue date. Even though I had plans to use the certificate in July and would have been fine with an 8/1 expiration date, different reps kept referring to the original issue date in August, 2018 and not the date of the conversion in 2019.
It really depends. Some of the TPs got lost and it requires a lot of efforts to find the details and original issue date. But some of the details have lost since it was in the old system a couple of years old.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
It really depends. Some of the TPs got lost and it requires a lot of efforts to find the details and original issue date. But some of the details have lost since it was in the old system a couple of years old.
Seems reasonable. Still, any old certificates would have an original expiration date before 2020. In any case, I am not speculating on whether or not Marriott will use the issue date of the original certificates instead of the converted ones when deciding whether or not to extend what were once old travel certificates.
Happy likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:25 pm

Duplicate.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:41 pm

I am using Apple, but I had to click on my points at the top in order to get to the second page where there is a link to certificates.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I have some from Travel Packages that were issued in 2017 ( when the WN Companion Pass was still issued upon sufficient point transfers).

Extended several times since then, expiring 8/1/21.

Wonder if they will get extended.
I have a few of those. I talked with an ambassador rep a couple weeks ago about them. They told me something was coming soon. This is it. They will be extended.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Anyone know if its possible to to swap out free night awards for points on an existing reservation?

I have a 50k cert I used for a 35k night because that was the only trip Im taking before August. Right now the reservation is one night 35k points, one night FNA cert. If I book a fresh reservation its 40k points / night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.