Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Apr 29, 2021] Extended Again! Free Night Awards and Points Expiration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Apr 29, 2021] Extended Again! Free Night Awards and Points Expiration

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:35 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by pazza2000
I’m not sure how it will work practice, I assume everything will just be auto extended again, however it’s interesting no note that the wording above suggests all TP’s will be extended, however an FNA with an original expiration pre ‘20 won’t!
I would not worry about those since they are hard to use any way.

Originally Posted by rrgg
One of the blogs mentioned this could be an old 7-night certificate that got extended.
I do not know if that is plausible. I recall, the SPG/Marriott merger was in Aug-2018. Then folks got one time "extension" some time in 2019. But it was not a real "extension", but a brand new TP that has 12-month expiration. So anyone requested "extension" in 2019 would have had expiry in 2020, which is still alive by now.

Anyone who requested "extension" in 2018 would have had expiry in 2019. Those TPs were not impacted by pandemic. So it should have already expired.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by RedSun

I do not know if that is plausible. I recall, the SPG/Marriott merger was in Aug-2018. Then folks got one time "extension" some time in 2019. But it was not a real "extension", but a brand new TP that has 12-month expiration. So anyone requested "extension" in 2019 would have had expiry in 2020, which is still alive by now.

Anyone who requested "extension" in 2018 would have had expiry in 2019. Those TPs were not impacted by pandemic. So it should have already expired.
Yeh I think all will just be auto extended next week regardless of original exp. dates
RedSun likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by RedSun

In my case, I bought a package in August, 2018 and converted it in August, 2019, which resulted in an August, 2020 expiration. When my travel certificate was cancelled after an agent failed to honor my request to detach it before cancelling a reservation, I had trouble getting it replaced because at least one agent considered the original expiration to be in 2019. In the end, I got a new certificate with an expiration, one year later.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:58 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by rny321
In my case, I bought a package in August, 2018 and converted it in August, 2019, which resulted in an August, 2020 expiration. When my travel certificate was cancelled after an agent failed to honor my request to detach it before cancelling a reservation, I had trouble getting it replaced because at least one agent considered the original expiration to be in 2019. In the end, I got a new certificate with an expiration, one year later.
When the TP got lost, it is gone. I think Marriott issues a new TP with a new certificate number. So you get a new life.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Too funny. We literally used one last night that would have expired in August. Oh well, we had a nice time anyway (an hour from home overnight and dinner).

I do have another that expires 1/27/22 so I guess that is already beyond any extension so it is what it is?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I have some from Travel Packages that were issued in 2017 ( when the WN Companion Pass was still issued upon sufficient point transfers).

Extended several times since then, expiring 8/1/21.

Wonder if they will get extended.
pazza2000, MSPeconomist and tbm13 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:45 am

How long before we see posts complaining about how early Jan 2022 is not long enough?
tbm13 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I have some from Travel Packages that were issued in 2017 ( when the WN Companion Pass was still issued upon sufficient point transfers).

Extended several times since then, expiring 8/1/21.

Wonder if they will get extended.
Yes they should do, as per the previous extensions. See RedSun ’s reasoning above as to why these will likely and should be included in the extension next week.
toomanybooks likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by myperks
How long before we see posts complaining about how early Jan 2022 is not long enough?
I'm surprised there aren't people who think they should have a "valid until used" expiry date.

I already concocted a trip for June to use up my 2x 50k Aug. certs which I think I'll keep. The extension is nice but I don't really have any more firm plans in Q4 to use them than I do over the summer, and all it does is kick the can to me having 4x 50k certs that'll expire in Jan (already have 2x that expire in between August and Jan 22), and another 2x I'll be getting in Q4.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
What about SNAs?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by beachfan
What about SNAs?
Since it is only April, and the SNAs are good for another 8 months, I would not expect an extension until later in the year.

And besides, extending them until Jan 3/22 would only give you an extra 3 days.
renila and beachfan like this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I still only have a 6 month & 1 week extension on one of my certs and ~ 8 months on the other. I wish they could just make them, good for 2 years from date of issuance. The issue is I basically have a backup of certs and most places I want to use them are still not open to travel or considered Travel Advisory Level 4 : Do Not Travel. I probably don't want to go to those places in January or they are not even open at that time of year.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Apr 29, 2021 at 12:59 pm
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I still only have a 6 month & 1 week extension on one of my certs and ~ 8 months on the other. I wish they could just make them, good for 2 years from date of issuance. The issue is I basically have a backup of certs and most places I want to use them are still not open to travel or considered Travel Advisory Level 4 : Do Not Travel. I probably don't want to go to those places in January or they are not even open at that time of year.
this would fall under “personal problem”
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
this would fall under “personal problem”
Agreed, while I got ridiculous value out of them in 2019 (beachfront property in Europe in the summer), it's not quite that easy this year and the things keep coming, I would almost prefer to defer for a year, don't give me anymore until I can use em.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:46 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
No Change on mine Still showing MAR BV AX FNA up to 35k points.

Expires: 08/01/2021

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.