Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cash rates not available, but able to book award nights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:55 pm
LAX
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond

I was looking for a few award nights at a Marriott property in PNW and I usually check cash rates at the same time to see if it's worth using points/certs. I was able to make a reservation using points/certs, but all cash rates were "sold out" (ie: no special rate codes). How often does this happen? I don't think properties are required to keep a separate inventory for awards. Was it a glitch then?

LAX
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by LAX
I was looking for a few award nights at a Marriott property in PNW and I usually check cash rates at the same time to see if it's worth using points/certs. I was able to make a reservation using points/certs, but all cash rates were "sold out" (ie: no special rate codes). How often does this happen? I don't think properties are required to keep a separate inventory for awards. Was it a glitch then?

LAX
It sounds to me like Revenue Management hasn't loaded in the algorithms for those dates yet. Were you booking further out to the end of the booking window? It's not common but it does happen that they forget to load in the default variables from their demand planner.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:01 am
LAX
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
It sounds to me like Revenue Management hasn't loaded in the algorithms for those dates yet. Were you booking further out to the end of the booking window? It's not common but it does happen that they forget to load in the default variables from their demand planner.
No. It's for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend.

LAX
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by LAX
No. It's for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend.

LAX
In that case they mostly likely goofed up by making award nights available when they don’t have any rooms available for revenue sales.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
........................ I was able to make a reservation using points/certs, but all cash rates were "sold out" (ie: no special rate codes)..............
Book it while it is still available. RM forgot to close out award rate plan. Property is sold out.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by TerryK
Book it while it is still available. RM forgot to close out award rate plan. Property is sold out.
That happened to a friend of mine. Hotel refused to honour his reservation, but ended up giving him some goodwill points.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Did you try and force a REG or BAR rate? That can sometimes bring back 'available rooms'
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
That happened to a friend of mine. Hotel refused to honour his reservation, but ended up giving him some goodwill points.
In that case it would be costly to "walk" a PLT/TIT/AMB the day of but if they catch this mistake in advance they might try to cancel the reservation even though it's a valid reservation.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In that case it would be costly to "walk" a PLT/TIT/AMB the day of but if they catch this mistake in advance they might try to cancel the reservation even though it's a valid reservation.
In my friend’s case they caught it a few days after he booked and well before the reservation date. He thought he had struck gold as there was a big concert nearby that he was going to and there were no other hotels in that area.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:04 am
LAX
Original Poster

I did. I wonder how it will be handled if it's indeed sold out when I show up at the property.

In my friend’s case they caught it a few days after he booked and well before the reservation date. He thought he had struck gold as there was a big concert nearby that he was going to and there were no other hotels in that area.
I am okay with a goodwill gesture if they catch this early on (if sold out) and provide me enough time to make alternate reservation, but it would be different when I show up at the property and there is no available room.

I am a lowly gold, so can they just cancel the reservation up until the date of check in? What recourse would I have?

LAX
Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:36 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Did they order any compensation?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Did they order any compensation?
Goodwill points.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:34 am

I had the same thing happen to me (well, rooms did show up as available cause I was logged in, with that guarantee) but awards were available at normal price.
Maybe hotel got un-full by time I stayed? Had no issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.