Wiki Posts
Search

Peak/off peak/standard - pointsaver

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Peak/off peak/standard - pointsaver

For any category hotel, there are 6 different rate.
point saver/ standard combining with peak/standard/off peak.

Is there any calendar to check?

I am staying in a cat 1, and it has just moved all off peak -> standard and standard to peak. (still being pointsaver)
so the stay that i booked previously cost 22000 points is now 34000 points (same stay, 5 nights)

Also, how exactly does the 5th night free apply when the stay is a combination of off peak/standard/peak?
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
For any category hotel, there are 6 different rate.
point saver/ standard combining with peak/standard/off peak.

Is there any calendar to check?

I am staying in a cat 1, and it has just moved all off peak -> standard and standard to peak. (still being pointsaver)
so the stay that i booked previously cost 22000 points is now 34000 points (same stay, 5 nights)

Also, how exactly does the 5th night free apply when the stay is a combination of off peak/standard/peak?
check using single night flexible date search will get you month by month calendar view by each day.

5th night free is typically the lowest cost night free.
SPN Lifer, pbd456 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
When off-peak, standard, and peak were introduced in 2019, Marriott Bonvoy renamed “5th Night Free” to “Stay for 5, Pay for 4."

For a stay of 5 to 9 nights, the lowest-point night is free. For a stay of 10 to 14 nights, the two lowest-point nights are free. And so on, in multiples of five nights.
SPN Lifer, pbd456 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Marriott can designate a hotel peak, off peak. standard / pointsave at will? basically, the same room can cost
4k, 6k, 8,5k 5k 7,5k, 10k and one wont know until they book because award cost can change anytime?

luckily my 15 nights in 3 sets of 5 and they cost 22k, 20k and 22k respectively and tag on one paid night for a total of 16 nights...
Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:51 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We were looking to use our 35K point certificate recently on an upcoming weekend stay. Saturday was 37,500 points, Sunday was 27,500. Didn't understand it, but grabbed that Sunday night. Both nights were similar $$ wise
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I would be very curious to see a PointSaver at peak pricing.

But yes... Marriott can change the award pricing at will.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I would be very curious to see a PointSaver at peak pricing.

But yes... Marriott can change the award pricing at will.
PointSaver is basically a percentage based discount off the best available award rate.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:29 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Marriott can just change the peak/offpeak/standard on the fly without any warning. It only encourages folks to have more speculative bookings. Some say this is not ethical. I do not think Marriott cares anything about it. Clearly Marriott does not have a good reputation any longer with the category change in 2020 and the introduction of peak/offpeak during the pandemic.

It is very hard to use the 35k and 50k FN awards with the peak change....
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:35 pm

Dying here from no travel for 2 years so finally going to zip over to Vancouver for 3 nights over Remembrance Day. I thought I would take a peak at redemption rates but as usual an absolute robbery in attempting to redeem points! I probably will pay cash but just out of curiosity, one question.

ie. JW Marriott Parq shows a point saver redemption for 135000 from Nov.11-14. When I actually hit reserve it then shows 140000 points needed. Am I missing something I need to do or just another IT glitch?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Dying here from no travel for 2 years so finally going to zip over to Vancouver for 3 nights over Remembrance Day. I thought I would take a peak at redemption rates but as usual an absolute robbery in attempting to redeem points! I probably will pay cash but just out of curiosity, one question.

ie. JW Marriott Parq shows a point saver redemption for 135000 from Nov.11-14. When I actually hit reserve it then shows 140000 points needed. Am I missing something I need to do or just another IT glitch?
Marriott claims that the 135K is for the C&P rate. (This came up recently in another thread.) However, if that’s truly the case, I also see some 75K pt rates + $718.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Has anyone come across the following scenario? I'm looking at booking a category 8 hotel. I need 4 nights so I put in my dates and it shows me the rates as follows:

Night 1 80k pointsaver
Night 2 85k
Night 3 100k
Night 4 80k pointsaver

Total 345k points

I was going to ask for late checkout but then I remembered that Marriott has 5th night free so rather than have to rely on them granting me late checkout based on availability, I can guarantee it for myself by just putting in the checkout date for the following day without it costing me any extra points.

However, when I do that, it shows me that Night 1 (being the exact same check in date as previously) is 85k (not 80k) and it's struck out to be the free night, then 2, 4, and 5 are also all 85k, and 3 remains at 100k. Total 355k. I'm not sure why the pointsaver rates no longer apply to Night 1 and 4 (and 5 as well because it is 80k on the flexible calendar as well).

When I looked at the flexible calendar for the entire month of December it shows that my nights 1, 4, and 5 are all at 80k. So according to that it should be 3 nights at 80k with one of them as the free night, so 2 nights @160k +85k +100k = the same 345k as booking for just 4 nights.

10k points is not all that big of a deal to guarantee myself checkout at my leisure, but I'm not understanding why this is happening.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
It might have to do with room type availability. Pure speculation on my part though.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
It might have to do with room type availability. Pure speculation on my part though.
I selected the identical room type both times and then expanded the total points on the last page before confirming the reservation to see the breakdown per day. Its just odd.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
I believe the 5th night free only applies to standard rates, and not for point savers.
renila likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
I believe the 5th night free only applies to standard rates, and not for point savers.
In that case then it makes sense that they'd be showing the standard rates instead of the point savers. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.