Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

No Power for 6 hours [Residence Inn Seattle South/Tukwila, WA]

Old Apr 9, 21, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond

Residence Inn Seattle South/Tukwila

Booked for 2 nights. Morning of checkout extended one more night. Come 1500 power went out for entire property. Apparently issue was PSE equipment failure. Due to failure had no power for six hours, during which time no heat so room was freezing. Also couldn't cook, etc.

I was told by staff that night (power came back around 2100) hotel mgmt would take care of us.

Come checkout I ask hotel manager about what type of discount we're getting. (I wasn't expecting a free night, although think it would've been a reasonable expectation) I get the worst response. "Well it wasn't our fault power was out for nearly 6 hours." "We're not doing anything as I don't feel it's our responsibility." Hotel manager, not assistant, not supervisor, not front desk staff, the hotel manager.

Really? You're a hotel. We're paying for a livable unit. I get hotel wasn't at fault. However for nearly quarter of day room was unusable. Unit temp was 59F by time power restored. Of course couldn't cook, had to keep refrig/freezer closed so items stayed refrigerated/frozen, etc.

What does FT suggest? Who should I contact? Is free night reasonable or prorated? Including taxes the 3rd night came to $200.

PS - I thought I had already submitted this thread, but don't see it posted.
Old Apr 9, 21, 8:51 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Residence Inn Seattle South/Tukwila

Booked for 2 nights. Morning of checkout extended one more night. Come 1500 power went out for entire property. Apparently issue was PSE equipment failure. Due to failure had no power for six hours, during which time no heat so room was freezing. Also couldn't cook, etc.

I was told by staff that night (power came back around 2100) hotel mgmt would take care of us.

Come checkout I ask hotel manager about what type of discount we're getting. (I wasn't expecting a free night, although think it would've been a reasonable expectation) I get the worst response. "Well it wasn't our fault power was out for nearly 6 hours." "We're not doing anything as I don't feel it's our responsibility." Hotel manager, not assistant, not supervisor, not front desk staff, the hotel manager.

Really? You're a hotel. We're paying for a livable unit. I get hotel wasn't at fault. However for nearly quarter of day room was unusable. Unit temp was 59F by time power restored. Of course couldn't cook, had to keep refrig/freezer closed so items stayed refrigerated/frozen, etc.

What does FT suggest? Who should I contact? Is free night reasonable or prorated? Including taxes the 3rd night came to $200.

PS - I thought I had already submitted this thread, but don't see it posted.
Hello flyerCO,

Thank you for your message. We’d like to look into this. Could you please send us more information such as your check-in & out dates at Residence Inn Seattle South/Tukwila, reservation holder’s name, reservation number & your email address via private message or email* us at [email protected] ? *Make sure to mention your "FlyerTalk Forums" handle so we can recognize this conversation. We look forward to hearing from you.
Old Apr 9, 21, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
To me it would depend what "PSE equipment failure" means. If the whole city or the whole block were without power then it's clearly not the hotel's fault and I wouldn't expect them to offer compensation of any kind. If it was some power equipment at the hotel, under their control, so the only place that had no power was the hotel, then I agree that some minor gesture would be in order--not a free night and not 50% off. Maybe 25% off (6 hours is 1/4 of 24 hours after all), or $25 in credits for the lobby marketplace, or a free drink and appetizer at the bar (if they have one). But I'm not big on compensation in general--stuff happens, and a genuine apology goes a LONG way with me.
Old Apr 9, 21, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, DL Plat, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
if the power goes out at your home or apartment, do you reduce your rent or mortgage payment?

if this was not just the hotel losing power, then it is not their fault and frankly you are due nothing.
m907, Repooc17 and RetiredATLATC like this.
Old Apr 9, 21, 2:10 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I agree if it wasn't just the hotel that lost power, then no compensation is due. Furthermore even if it was just the hotel, if some major piece of power equipment failed, it would still depend. If the hotel has been doing proper maintenance including periodic preventative maintenance on all of their equipment and systems, I would write it off to stuff happens. E.g. even with the best of efforts sometimes things fail or go wrong.

On the other hand, if the hotel is poorly maintained and this failure would have been preventable with proper maintenance, then compensation is indeed due. It will be very hard to impossible to tell if the property is truly doing proper maintenance. So only thing you can fallback to is your impression of the general upkeep of the property. If it is decent, I would give them the benefit of the doubt and not ask for compensation. If the place is poorly maintained in general (e.g. run down, dirty, etc.), then continue to push for compensation.

Finally, regardless of if the failure was within the hotels control, they certainly should have apologized. Also some small token gesture to recognize the inconvenience the guests experienced would be appropriate. It sounds like your initial interaction with the staff was sympathetic but the manager reversed course and didn't follow through. That is unfortunate. Manager should have been at least apologetic. One nit, perhaps you could have worded your request to the manager differently. E.g. The nighttime staff indicated hotel management would take care of us for the inconvenience caused by the power loss. What did you have in mind?

--Jon
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 9, 21, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
In renting a hotel room, I assume it includes utilities such as electricity, water, etc. It is the hotel's responsibility to deal with suppliers, even if they don't have control. Of course, a hotel could have limited backup power available that would power the lobby, kitchen, wifi, etc.
I wouldn't expect a full refund for the one night, but I would expect some accommodation. For a 30 minute outage, no i wouldn't expect anything, but 6 hours is a long time. I think 33% off the bill or some points would be reasonable.
Old Apr 9, 21, 2:43 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
When I was in an Asian hotel that lost power due to typhoon from around midnight until well after my checkout around 2:00 PM the next day, I never thought
of asking for compensation from the hotel. Some things are out of their control.
Old Apr 9, 21, 2:47 pm

I'd also not ask for any compensation, unless it's completely their fault (which it doesn't appear to be)

If you're getting some points or some other goodies - say worth 10% of that night - I'd take it and run.
Old Apr 9, 21, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Airlines with non-stops to where I'm going
Add me to the no compensation necessary if this wasn't the hotel's fault and was unplanned (different if a planned outage and the hotel didn't warn you of it). If it looked like it would be an extended outage I could see asking to be moved to another hotel, but not asking for a free night.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 9, 21, 4:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors
I would also add on not to expect any compensation especially if it was "an Act of God" situation where the hotel was at the mercy of unforeseen events with no other viable alternatives. Also note that most select service properties have nothing in the way of backup power so when things go down, they go down. Even the emergency exit signs have limited backup batteries that are only good for a few hours. Back in January of '17 I worked an entire night audit shift at a Homewood Suites in the dark due to the power being out for almost 24 hours because of a huge ice storm. No heat, no lights, no computers, nothing except being able to see my breath. Power went out on early on Saturday afternoon for a few hundred thousand people in the surrounding area. The GM at the time was an interim since the property was in the process of being sold and he along with reps. from both the current owner and soon to be new owner contacted the utility provider about a timeline and got nowhere past we'll get there when we get there. Most guests took it in stride and if guests asked their room was comped for that night but no additional points or compensation was given. A few followed up with Hilton who routed the complaints back to the hotel where they were redenied additional compensation and Hilton followed suit.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 9, 21, 5:16 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
From the OP, I get the impression only the hotel was affected, not any surrounding buildings. I agree with the above examples in general but there's no indication this was a storm or other "Act of God" - if the equipment that failed was on the property or otherwise under the control of the hotel, then I'd say it is their responsibility, whether it was foreseeable / lack of maintenance or not. If an equipment failure delays a flight, the airline owes you compensation even if the specific issue wasn't foreseeable or due to any error on their part.
Old Apr 9, 21, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Glob-Lite, MLife Gold, Caesar's Diamond+, Delta and Southwest basic this year...
Some of ya'll are harsh, damn. A typhoon, really, lol... I think OP was being reasonable by saying they were NOT expecting a free night. Obviously some more context into the outage would be ideal. I think generally more than a free drink would be nice, though.

The biggest problem might actually be the original front desk person who allegedly said hotel management would "take care of us." I get saying that if you're overwhelmed, panicked, don't know how to handle unhappy guests, but you're better off saying you're not authorized to make too much in the billing or compensation department of decisions, apologize profusely, and then let it be up to management upon resuming managerial hours. Now he or she has made a false promise or suggestion.
flyerCO, wrp96, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 21, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Firstly, it was one block that lost power. Next, when you pay for a hotel you are paying for a livable/useable unit. I get hotel cant control power company equipment. If they think cost of generators is too much for blackout frequency that is cost analysis on their part. They decided it wasn't worth it and now need to live with consequences.

Bottom line unit wasn't usable for 1/4 of the day. No one should be paying at least for that portion 9f day.

Do you think people in TX paid for hotels with no power in Feb?
MSPeconomist and btonkid12345 like this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Apr 9, 21 at 8:22 pm
Old Apr 9, 21, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post
if the power goes out at your home or apartment, do you reduce your rent or mortgage payment?

if this was not just the hotel losing power, then it is not their fault and frankly you are due nothing.
It depends. If your apartment includes utilities, yes. Unlike your home, hotel is responsible for ensuring power. In fact the hotel can be violating health and safety laws in some locations by not having power/hot water. .
MSPeconomist and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Apr 9, 21, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I once stayed at the Westin in Guam during a Pacific Typhoon where the majority of the island lost power and we didn't complain because it was a Typhoon. The Westin did take good care of its' guests during and after the storm to a point of where I didn't feel aggrieved by the situation.

Fast forward a few years later where a hotel in New York lost power for half of the day due to construction work in the lobby, I felt aggrieved because that was a controllable issue and the hotel staff couldn't have given two koppecks about the situation so a complaint was filed with Marriott on this one versus the act of god one,
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: