Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Any chance for a personal discount on a 2 month long travel?

Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Dear All

I am just wondering, is there any chance for a personal discount with Mariott?

I am heading to Thailand for 2 months I am contemplating whether I should stay exclusive in Marriott Hotels, or mix it up with some Airbnd?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

MTH
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MTHTravel
Dear All

I am heading to Thailand for 2 months I am contemplating whether I should stay exclusive in Marriott Hotels, or mix it up with some Airbnd?

MTH
No, that's what the Long Term Stay discount is for for 30+ days.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:22 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by bos_buyer
No, that's what the Long Term Stay discount is for for 30+ days.
I thought individual properties can negotiate rates that may not be publicly available. I don't think it hurts to call up properties that OP is interested in and see what they can offer.

LAX
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LAX
I thought individual properties can negotiate rates that may not be publicly available. I don't think it hurts to call up properties that OP is interested in and see what they can offer.

LAX
Yeah I think it's few and far between. FWIW, I've gotten substantially cheaper rates with the AAA discount, and AAA hot deal rates than LTS.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MTHTravel
Dear All

MTH
There are some good rates in Thailand now that include F&B credits, etc. Be sure to check special rates and not just regular or prepaid. I've found that sometimes more packages show if you go to the hotel's own website.

The long stay rates are for a long (consecutive) stay at a single property, not just staying in various Marriotts around the country.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It never hurts to call the property directly during the regular business day (at the property) and to speak with a sales manager. Depending on circumstances, you might be cut a deal on the rate or perhaps have other benefits such as a F&B credit at the restaurant, laundry, or other things you may need. You may also be able to negotiate a better rate in return for no points/credit. All depends on what is important to you.

Be prepared to sign a binding contract backed up by a credit card and you may find yourself a good deal. If not, you have wasted 10 minutes on the phone.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless multiple hotels that you're going to stay at are owned by the same company, I don't think they'll care about the total length of your travels, only how long you'll be staying at a hotel they own. If you could get in touch with a sales rep that oversees two or three properties that you're going to spend a month + at collectively, then you might have a shot.
SPN Lifer and writerguyfl like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:13 pm

And if you do try to negotiate a rate specific for your stay, be sure you get clear whether they will give you elite night stay credit and points.
Often1, SPN Lifer, cfabar1 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xooz
And if you do try to negotiate a rate specific for your stay, be sure you get clear whether they will give you elite night stay credit and points.
That is typically something to negotiate away. It costs the property, so they may give you a better rate if you forgo them.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
That is typically something to negotiate away. It costs the property, so they may give you a better rate if you forgo them.
Understood, just not clear whether this would be important to OP but being sure to address it in negotiations is smart. If left unspecified OP might believe that he/she will get EQN only to be disappointed later.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:50 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Be sure to try the look no further best rate guarantee too, spoiler alert, it might save you 25%+ off the BAR!
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Doppy
Unless multiple hotels that you're going to stay at are owned by the same company, I don't think they'll care about the total length of your travels, only how long you'll be staying at a hotel they own. If you could get in touch with a sales rep that oversees two or three properties that you're going to spend a month + at collectively, then you might have a shot.
One of the quirks of the hotel industry is the fact that one company can own and operate competing brands. As such, it might be in the best interest of that company for you to stay at their Marriott in City A and their Hilton in City B.

Figuring that fact out would likely take a lot of research (individual hotel owners and operators aren't easily found online) and a bit of luck (finding a single owner who operates hotels in all cities you want to visit). And even if you do find a single company, finding someone with the authority of make deals would be difficult.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The long stay rates are for a long (consecutive) stay at a single property, not just staying in various Marriotts around the country.
Even for a single property, many hotels would decline to engage in negotiations for 60 room nights (roughly two months). For a large hotel, 60 room nights would be a very small percentage of the total room nights.

Example: The Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park has 1,287 rooms and suites. That means they have 469,755 room night to fill annually. For them, 60 room nights is 0.01% of their total.

Of course, most hotels aren't that big. Still, even if a hotel is 129 rooms, a block of 60 room nights is only 0.1% of their total room nights. That percentage is still small, which means many hotels won't take the time to enter into negotiations.

In the end, it depends upon the individual hotel and (sometimes) the person who answers the call.
Often1 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:44 am
Suspended

I doubt that this is a negotiation. If one can reach a manager who has authority, the question is very simply, "I will be staying at a property for 60 nights from X to Y. If I book at your property, the best rate I can find is Z. Can you do anything for me?
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.