Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Class action against Kyo-ya & Marriott for failing to inform guests re: worker strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Class action against Kyo-ya & Marriott for failing to inform guests re: worker strike

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

If You Are a US or Canada Resident Who Booked and Paid for a Stay at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort; The Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach; Sheraton Waikiki; Sheraton Princess Kaiulani or Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa Between October 8, 2018 to November 27, 2018

Your Rights Could Be Affected

A class action Settlement has been reached with Marriott International, Inc. and Kyo-ya Hotels & Resorts (“Defendants”). The lawsuit claims that Defendants violated Hawaii law by charging Plaintiffs amounts they were unfairly and/or deceptively required to pay for their room at the above Hotels during the strike that commenced on or about October 7, 2018 and ended on or about November 27, 2018 (“Strike”). Plaintiffs allege that Defendants did not inform guests of the Strike before they arrived at the Hotels and that the Strike would impact the Hotel’s services and amenities. Defendants deny they did anything wrong, deny that any damages were incurred, do not admit any fault, wrongdoing or liability and do not concede any defenses. The proposed Settlement does not suggest that Defendants have or have not done anything wrong or that Plaintiffs would or would not win their case if it were to go to trial.

Are you included?

You are included in this Settlement as a Class Member if you are a US or Canada resident:

1. Who booked and paid for a stay;
  2. At one or more of the following Hotels: The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort; The Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort & Spa; Waikiki Beach; Sheraton Waikiki; Sheraton Princess Kaiulani or Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa; and
  3. For a stay that took place on one or more dates between October 8, 2018 through and including November 27, 2018.

What Can I Get from the Settlement?

Defendants will pay $1,825,435.48 (the “Settlement Fund”) to cover: (1) payment to Class Members; (2) an award of attorneys’ fees and costs to Class Counsel; (3) service awards to the five Class Representatives; (4) the costs of notice and administration of the Settlement; and (5) under certain circumstances, charitable contributions to Visitor Aloha Society of Hawaii. The Long Form notice and Settlement Agreement, available at www.hawaiihotelsettlement.com describes the circumstances in detail.

Class Members are expected to receive a gross payment of $24.90/night, $51.29/night, $12.45/night or $25.65/night, depending on which Hotel you stayed at and how you booked your stay, subject to potential reduction for costs for administering the Settlement, any service awards to the Class Representatives, any award of attorneys' fees and costs to Class Counsel and other reduction under certain other circumstances.

How Can I Get a Payment?

You must submit a valid Claim Form by mail or online at www.hawaiihotelsettlement.com/Online-Filing.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Nice rebate. I was there 6 nights at $51.29/night.

I haven’t received a claim form. Has anyone else?

Thanks OP.

Edit: I got an email with a PIN about 30 mins ago.

Last edited by margarita girl; Apr 2, 2021 at 5:06 am
Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Thanks OP.

There is an ad about this in this morning's Globe and Mail. Funny, I thought about you when I saw it.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: Yes
I’m not sure how much merit is behind the suit because when I contacted the hotel I was informed about the strike and its impact.

Can sue for anything these days.. 😜
Old Apr 2, 2021, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Thanks OP.

My reading of the OP is that a share of attorney's fees, etc. will be deducted from this amount. I hope you'll report back when you see the final amount.

BTW, I'm surprised that Canada (and no other foreign countries) are included in a USA class action case.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Interesting - I've not seen a single mention of this on the local Honolulu news - ever. Not that it hasn't been reported locally and may have missed this - but strange this hasn't gotten more attention.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Defendants will pay $1,825,435.48
Who comes up with those figures??
Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Who comes up with those figures??
The plaintiff’s accountants who also get a portion of the settlement for their services

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.