Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Am I justified in being dissappointed with zero upgrade and poor room conditions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I justified in being dissappointed with zero upgrade and poor room conditions?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver

Booked a two night stay Mon-Wed (March 22-24, 2021) at the Westin La Paloma in Tucson. Submitted Suite Night upgrade request for the stay, and I was notified the day of that none were available. I checked online and both king bed corner room master suite and king bed mountain view deluxe rooms were still advertised as bookable. I again asked politely at the front desk if any upgrade was available and told "no". I was given a two queen room with an interior view of the pool bars roof, and the beds completely looked disheveled (see pics I took below). I called down and asked if there was something better as this room didn't feel as if it had been properly cleaned. The desk staff agreed to move me to a king bed interior facing room with a great view of the back of the other building blocked by a palo verde tree. I asked the bellman what he thought of the room condition and he stated it looked right to him. I've staid at this property a few times before and the room conditions were much better. What aggravates me about this is the apparent (at least to me) lack of any effort and overall decline in hotel quality. Am I expecting too much, or am I justified in being annoyed?
Background: booked the rooms at the advertised full rate, and I'm a Titanium Bonvoy member. I was staying with my wife, which makes this more disappointing to me as I had built this resort up to her and it was her first time in Arizona. Thanks for all the feedback.

Updated Response From Hotel Manager:
Response from @@@@ @@@@, General Manager at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa
Responded 5 days ago
It is always an honor when our guests return and bring their families, and we are very sorry to hear you were not fully pleased with your recent stay. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback so we may address your disappointment. We apologize for missing your expectations for your guestroom and regret the negative impact it had on your overall enjoyment. We appreciate your mention of our associates for excellent service. It is our hope to have a chance to welcome you for a more memorable experience in the future.
Sincerely,
@@@@@@@—General Manager

This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC

Disheveled Bed

Disheveled Beds

Second bed

Amazing view of the back of a building, through a tree.

Last edited by lrbenko; May 4, 2021 at 1:50 pm Reason: Updated
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Of course you can be disappointed - your recourse is to stay at another property - alternatively, ask to speak to the General Manager.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Of course you can be disappointed - your recourse is to stay at another property - alternatively, ask to speak to the General Manager.
True. I chose this location based on past experiences and just didn't want to go through the hassle (and probable charge) of changing hotels once I had checked in. It was between this property, the JW Star Pass and the Hilton El Conquistador, both of which have given me nice rooms in the past as well.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by lrbenko
Yes, you should have been disappointed with the shameful condition of the beds.

Lies about room availability have also been my experience with Marriott recently.

Besides FT, you should post this review on Marriott, Google Maps and Trip Advisor.

SNA and Complimentary upgrades have been rare for me, which is why I am staying much more with Hilton during Covid.

This weekend will be my first SNA upgrade in months.

Some hotels blame everything on Covid, saying there is little or no housekeeping available.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just because a suite is available to book for cash does not necessarily mean it is available for an upgrade. The photos of the 2 Queen room you posted does indeed look poorly made, I would have asked to be moved. How was the King arranged?
JBa and Guate87 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Post as mentioned and also send pictures to marriott cust service. I'd even go as far as contacting corporate and let them know of your experience along with the pictures.

Blaming everything on covid is way past unacceptable at this point. It looks like they just threw the sheets and pillows on there, so I'd be concerned about what else was skipped or not cleaned.
Spiff, Indo-flyer, clarkef and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Indeed. I’ve sometimes found short and curly hairs in a bathtub and asked to be moved.
lrbenko and Guate87 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Just because a suite is available to book for cash does not necessarily mean it is available for an upgrade. The photos of the 2 Queen room you posted does indeed look poorly made, I would have asked to be moved. How was the King arranged?
The King bed wasn't much better, but at least the pillows in the king weren't so run down.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Post as mentioned and also send pictures to marriott cust service. I'd even go as far as contacting corporate and let them know of your experience along with the pictures.

Blaming everything on covid is way past unacceptable at this point. It looks like they just threw the sheets and pillows on there, so I'd be concerned about what else was skipped or not cleaned.
Exactly our concerns too. The impression of not being cleaned was a huge concern for us.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Am I expecting too much, or am I justified in being annoyed?

Disheveled Bed

Disheveled Beds

Second bed
Originally Posted by Guate87
Yes, you should have been disappointed with the shameful condition of the beds.
Exactly our concerns too. The impression of not being cleaned was a huge concern for us.
You were carelessly and thoughtlessly Bonv°yed!
Old Mar 29, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Keep in mind that suite upgrades, whether with SNA's or as Plat or higher status are very rare in North America.
To get the most out of these benefits, one must travel in Asia.
lrbenko likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'd be disappointed as well. Titanium should get a better room and the bed condition totally unacceptable. Looks like the room was already rejected by someone else, and not refreshed.

This place gets pretty poor reviews and the most common comment is "run down." I didn't consider for recent Tucson visit. Wasn't that impressed with the product at Starr Pass, either, though we liked the location and the breakfast.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, those beds look like they might have been "used".
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I've used late checkout before and returned to a made up room with the intention still using the room before leaving. Could have been what happened here.

This property was better under SPG.
lrbenko likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
Is there even a duvet cover or is it just a regular sheet on top? There's definitely nothing "heavenly" about those beds!
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.