Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Essex Chicago [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Méridien Essex Chicago [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:36 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by MarkCron
The concert I was headed to see got cancelled, so I did not make it to LM
Sorry to hear that

Originally Posted by khabah
The reviews I've seen have been mixed - lots of people compliment the staff [a few members in particular have gotten lots of praise], but the walls are apparently very thin, the rooms are a squeeze for more than one person and there are no suites so keep that in mind if you're expecting upgrades. Also consider the location on S Michigan and where you need to be - Chicago is delightfully walkable, there are some sights within your immediate access and the area is safe, but you're on the tail end of the tourism stretch.

khabah
Wrigley is our reason for going, but we like the Grant Park area, so this appealed to us for that reason
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:50 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Meh!

Property is playing shell games with their elite benefits. No choice offered. What they do offer is a voucher for “$15 refund of the destination fee,” which is good towards breakfast (or lunch) in their restaurant as a way to justify the application of a destination fee. This seems to fly smack in the face of the terms and conditions, so I’d like a Lurker to check in on this.

As for other quirks, whilst the room (Deluxe) was small and well appointed, the shower here is the worst. No pressure at all. Also, you can skip the $72 valet and pay $10 for 9 hours of overnight parking right behind the hotel.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by uxb
Property is playing shell games with their elite benefits. No choice offered. What they do offer is a voucher for “$15 refund of the destination fee,” which is good towards breakfast (or lunch) in their restaurant as a way to justify the application of a destination fee. This seems to fly smack in the face of the terms and conditions, so I’d like a Lurker to check in on this. .
That's disappointing.

According to the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions, at Le Méridien (and six other Starwood legacy brands, including resorts), members who are Platinum Elite and above are allowed to choose one of the following as an Elite Welcome Gift:
— 1,000 Points per Stay
— Amenity per Stay
— Breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1

If the Elite Welcome Gift choices are not offered at time of arrival, the member is entitled to U.S. $100 compensation.

A reasonable person staying at a premium hotel brand like Le Méridien would expect “breakfast in restaurant” to mean just that — daily breakfast commensurate with the quality of the hotel. If there’s a second guest in the room, there would be second daily breakfast.

Not a $15 voucher. Not a continental breakfast. Not a discount off a slimy “destination fee.”

Essex Hotel Chicago chose to become Le Méridien Essex Chicago to benefit from Marriott’s marketing. This includes attracting elite guests and providing the published elite benefits.

If enough Platinum Elite (and above) members demand U.S. $100 compensation, Le Méridien Essex Chicago might learn to play by the rules.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 1:51 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by Horace
That's disappointing.

According to the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions, at Le Méridien (and six other Starwood legacy brands, including resorts), members who are Platinum Elite and above are allowed to choose one of the following as an Elite Welcome Gift:
— 1,000 Points per Stay
— Amenity per Stay
— Breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1

If the Elite Welcome Gift choices are not offered at time of arrival, the member is entitled to U.S. $100 compensation.

A reasonable person staying at a premium hotel brand like Le Méridien would expect “breakfast in restaurant” to mean just that — daily breakfast commensurate with the quality of the hotel. If there’s a second guest in the room, there would be second daily breakfast.

Not a $15 voucher. Not a continental breakfast. Not a discount off a slimy “destination fee.”

Essex Hotel Chicago chose to become Le Méridien Essex Chicago to benefit from Marriott’s marketing. This includes attracting elite guests and providing the published elite benefits.

If enough Platinum Elite (and above) members demand U.S. $100 compensation, Le Méridien Essex Chicago might learn to play by the rules.
Well, they refused me the $100, and charged me the $15 after promising they would take it off. I think a Lurker should intervene here as well.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by uxb
Well, they refused me the $100, and charged me the $15 after promising they would take it off. I think a Lurker should intervene here as well.
Contact Marriott Bonvoy Lurker or Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II or email [email protected]

Most Marriott Bonvoy hotels comply with the published benefits. Many make a real effort to treat elite members well, recognizing that it's good business to do so.

There really should be an easier way to get the "bad apples" to change their ways. That's the purpose of the U.S. $100 compensation for non-compliance. It's supposed to be painful for the hotel. Unfortunately, if a hotel can simply refuse to pay the $100 and there's no easy way to make it happen, then the "bad apples" can keep damaging the Marriott Bonvoy program.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:24 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by Horace
Contact Marriott Bonvoy Lurker or Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II or email [email protected]

Most Marriott Bonvoy hotels comply with the published benefits. Many make a real effort to treat elite members well, recognizing that it's good business to do so.

There really should be an easier way to get the "bad apples" to change their ways. That's the purpose of the U.S. $100 compensation for non-compliance. It's supposed to be painful for the hotel. Unfortunately, if a hotel can simply refuse to pay the $100 and there's no easy way to make it happen, then the "bad apples" can keep damaging the Marriott Bonvoy program.
It’s been two weeks and nothing has been done. The resolution I had accepted, since they didn’t refused to pay out on the claim, was that they waive the destination fee, and they did not even do that. I now want the entire stay refunded ($122).
Horace likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 2:13 pm

Does anyone know if the hotel has since improved its elite benefit recognition?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Any 2023(!) reports? At my 60 WOH nights so going to burn some Bonvoy points here (resort fee and all...gag) in a few weeks, given location for where I need to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.