Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Two bookings on Big Island, my benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:11 am
Original Poster

I'm planning a a 6 night trip to the Big Island with my family (2 adults, 2 kids) + grandparents (2).
For the grandparents, I'm booking 6 nights at the Mauna Kea.
For the 4 of us, I'm using certs for 3 nights at the Westin Hapuna Beach and then we will join the grandparents and stay 3 nights on points at the Mauna Kea.

Can I use my Bonvoy account when making the reservation for the grandparents (they have no Bonvoy status)? I'd like to book them at the Senior (or AAA) rate and would like to get them benefits of my Platinum status (free breakfast and SNA) and I would be paying for this on my card and ideally earn Marriott points/nights.

Any advice on how to best navigate this?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Billy Bandit

Any advice on how to best navigate this?
Technically it's against Marriott rules. In most scenarios you would get away with it and get the benefits and points at both properties, the problem is if the points fail to post automatically you will likely be denied a claim. One complicating ripple is the Hapuna and MKBH are sister properties with signing ability at the other property, so they may know if you have a room booked at each.

If you want to do it by the book so you at least guarantee earning points at the Mauna Kea then I would recommend gifting the award to the grand parents for the Hapuna and have them check in for that stay (you wont get the elite nights if done properly, and wont get elite benefits) You don't need to be present at check-in. Then just create second points reservation under their name for the 3 nights at the Mauna Kea. You can check in at the MK for the 6 paid nights.

There's a whole thread on this:

Benefits and Bonvoy credits if I have Simultaneous Stays at Different Hotels?
Billy Bandit and anteater like this.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Mar 21, 2021 at 8:13 am
Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:36 am

Are you sure Mauna Kea will even accept you with 4 people? I thought they were really strict about their three person maximum, regardless of age.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I ended up booking the 6 night stay using points (purchased just now via multiple accounts which makes the cost better than the Senior or AAA rate) so it won't matter much whether I get points for incidentals during stay. If I'm able to upgrade their room using SNAs, that would be great. We'll take whatever Plat benefits they give us.

Yes, Mauna Kea is frustrating when trying to book a room with 2 adults and 2 young kids. Some people are comfortable just showing up and taking a chance on an awkward situation or conversation (might not be awkward for them). I've always booked it as 2 adults and called them well beforehand and let them know I have 2 young children. We haven't needed extra beds but I imagine if you are 2 adults and 2 teens it might be a different story.
The Plat breakfast amenity has been all over the place in our previous visits too -
This property has so much potential but it is quite poorly run. Yet, we keep returning to it because the beach is simply amazing, especially for younger kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.