Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Points for very long term stay after a fire?

Points for very long term stay after a fire?

Old Mar 14, 21, 7:13 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: BOS
Posts: 1,424
Points for very long term stay after a fire?

My mother may have to stay at a Residence Inn for 6-8 months while her house is being repaired after a fire. She's been unable to find an apartment on a month to month basis, and needs to stay in the general area. (This Residence Inn apparently houses a lot of executives long term.) If the insurance company arranges this with the hotel, I assume my mother won't be entitled to points? Thanks.

Last edited by mareh; Mar 14, 21 at 7:21 am
mareh is offline  
Old Mar 14, 21, 8:03 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta but Washington DC will always be home.
Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Airlines with non-stops to where I'm going
Posts: 1,805
Originally Posted by mareh View Post
My mother may have to stay at a Residence Inn for 6-8 months while her house is being repaired after a fire. She's been unable to find an apartment on a month to month basis, and needs to stay in the general area. (This Residence Inn apparently houses a lot of executives long term.) If the insurance company arranges this with the hotel, I assume my mother won't be entitled to points? Thanks.
It really all depends. If she books a public long-stay rate (available at most Residence Inns on stays of 2+ weeks) and insurance reimburses her, she'll still get points/status. If the insurance company negotiates a rate and pays directly the insurance company could negotiate to not have points credited as part of the rate, but they also could negotiate a rate and not negotiate points in which case she may still get them.

Long story short, as it sounds like she won't have much choice in the matter if insurance is handling the arrangements, she should add her Marriott number no matter what and see what happens.

P.S. Sorry about the fire. Can only imagine that it was devastating. Hope no one was injured.
dcstudent is offline  
Old Mar 14, 21, 8:12 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 3,059
If everything is arranged through the insurance company, the likelihood of getting points is probably low. An insurance company would probably negotiate a special rate. It would be odd to have them specifically ask to have frequent guest perks eliminated in order to get the lowest possible rate.

That said, it's impossible to know without any details.
mareh likes this.
writerguyfl is offline  
Old Mar 14, 21, 8:32 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: BOS
Posts: 1,424
Thank you! I will sign her up, and let her know to at least add the number and see. And thanks for the good wishes dcstudent. Her pets unfortunately didn't make it, but all the people did.
mareh is offline  
Old Mar 14, 21, 8:42 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
Insurance rates are simply a negotiated rate with master billing. In that case, almost certainly no points, but also no hassle or out-of-pocket while invoices are submitted.

On the other hand, if she has some say in which property the insurance company books at, she then has some negotiating leverage with the property's general manager. Forget about the rate, what might they do to earn her business. Perhaps no points, but are there some features which they could offer?
mareh likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 21, 9:13 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DTW
Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Posts: 998
I am currently 6 weeks into what will likely be 10 weeks of hotel stays being paid by my insurance company.
For me, the travel company that the insurance company uses made the reservations, emailed me the confirmation number and details, and I then added my Bonvoy number to the reservation.
All my stays (4 total so far, as I have switched hotels a few times) have posted points and EQN's including the current promotion (one stay that straddled the promo dates required some customer service). I have gone from Bonvoy zero (well Silver) to Platinum, and will be Titanium when I check out this week.
I have even been able to get insurance company to allow me to change hotels for a week at a time, so I am getting 3 free weeks of lodging in the Arizona sun during my home construction.
MarkCron is offline  
Old Mar 14, 21, 9:27 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 403
I can do that

Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
I am currently 6 weeks into what will likely be 10 weeks of hotel stays being paid by my insurance company.
For me, the travel company that the insurance company uses made the reservations, emailed me the confirmation number and details, and I then added my Bonvoy number to the reservation.
All my stays (4 total so far, as I have switched hotels a few times) have posted points and EQN's including the current promotion (one stay that straddled the promo dates required some customer service). I have gone from Bonvoy zero (well Silver) to Platinum, and will be Titanium when I check out this week.
I have even been able to get insurance company to allow me to change hotels for a week at a time, so I am getting 3 free weeks of lodging in the Arizona sun during my home construction.
Cool, you have just given me a great idea..
mareh likes this.
mech11 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 21, 9:32 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DTW
Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Posts: 998
Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
If everything is arranged through the insurance company, the likelihood of getting points is probably low. An insurance company would probably negotiate a special rate. It would be odd to have them specifically ask to have frequent guest perks eliminated in order to get the lowest possible rate.

That said, it's impossible to know without any details.
Insurance companies have travel companies do this. And they don't have time to "negotiate rates."
This is my experience anyway, I am sure this is ymmv
mareh likes this.
MarkCron is offline  
Old Mar 14, 21, 1:35 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 1,407
Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
Insurance companies have travel companies do this. And they don't have time to "negotiate rates."
This is my experience anyway, I am sure this is ymmv
The negotiation is usually done periodically in the same way that any other large corporation will periodically negotiate their travel with airlines/hotels/car rental agencies/other travel related providers. Some companies (usually larger corporations with lots of travel and conservative expense policies) will negotiate away loyalty scheme rewards and many other things. Some will just contract out to Expedia and the like and then since itís a 3rd party booking you wouldnít get any rewards.

Itís not that uncommon.
Often1, writerguyfl and mareh like this.
coleslaw is offline  
Old Mar 14, 21, 2:50 pm
  #10  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Englandshire
Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Posts: 13,290
Originally Posted by mareh View Post
My mother may have to stay at a Residence Inn for 6-8 months while her house is being repaired after a fire. She's been unable to find an apartment on a month to month basis, and needs to stay in the general area. (This Residence Inn apparently houses a lot of executives long term.) If the insurance company arranges this with the hotel, I assume my mother won't be entitled to points? Thanks.
If there's already an active claim with the insurance company, then I would have thought the best way would be to call them and find out exactly how alternative accommodation - be it an apartment or a hotel - is arranged and paid for.
MSPeconomist and mareh like this.
Oxon Flyer is offline  
Old Mar 14, 21, 2:54 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,674
Some insurance companies/policies seem to permit one to make one's own arrangements and be reimbursed.

Note that in many jurisdictions, there's no tax on hotel rooms for stays exceeding thirty days.
mareh and writerguyfl like this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 14, 21, 5:32 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Posts: 11,847
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Some insurance companies/policies seem to permit one to make one's own arrangements and be reimbursed.

Note that in many jurisdictions, there's no tax on hotel rooms for stays exceeding thirty days.
Unfortunately, in many jurisdictions, after 30 days you become a tenant and evictions become extremely difficult and expensive. So some hotels have policies prohibiting long stays.
mareh and SPN Lifer like this.
sethb is offline  
Old Mar 15, 21, 7:36 am
  #13  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,493
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
So some hotels have policies prohibiting long stays.
Which for an RI would be an interesting tack to take considering it is an extended stay brand. And per the OP, there are executives for some local companies already staying there for extended stays. So I doubt there would be a 30 day limit in this case.
mareh and writerguyfl like this.

Last edited by hhoope01; Mar 15, 21 at 10:49 am
hhoope01 is offline  
Old Mar 15, 21, 7:44 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,171
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
If there's already an active claim with the insurance company, then I would have thought the best way would be to call them and find out exactly how alternative accommodation - be it an apartment or a hotel - is arranged and paid for.
And FWIW, no amount of points / elite status credit will compensate for the aggravation of funding a long hotel stay yourself and then getting the insurance company to reimburse. If the insurance co. will pay direct, jump on it!
mareh and SPN Lifer like this.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Mar 15, 21, 8:34 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by mareh View Post
Thank you! I will sign her up, and let her know to at least add the number and see. And thanks for the good wishes dcstudent. Her pets unfortunately didn't make it, but all the people did.
My condolences to her on the loss of her fur babies!
JMorgana is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: