Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels on the Big Island of Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels on the Big Island of Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by magendim
Staying at a friends house in Kona for a week in Sept (not beachfront) and have additional time and Marriott points to kill so looking at tacking on another week at Mauna Kea or Westin Hapuna to just relax and hang out. MK is 75K per night, Westin 50K for partial Ocean View. Can add $700 cash for full ocean view but not sure if that's worth it or what my chances are for an upgrade (LT Titanium). Older couple here, no kids with us. Have been to the big island before years ago staying down by Puako and did like Hakuna beach. Already been to the other islands and being lazy so don't really feel like hopping to another island...

Thoughts?
Fundamentally it is a question of what you (and your spouse) intend to do at these resorts/hotels versus what you'd have already done/explored when staying at your friends place. If you're going to sit watching the ocean and the $700 cash isn't a concern, get the full ocean view. How much beach time do you need? Golf? Tennis? Rolfing? Simply spend Marriott points? Drive to and from one or more volcanoes? Hike around and get bitten by mosquitoes? Run/bike/swim the Ironman? Protest on Maunakea?

David
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magendim
Staying at a friends house in Kona for a week in Sept (not beachfront) and have additional time and Marriott points to kill so looking at tacking on another week at Mauna Kea or Westin Hapuna to just relax and hang out. MK is 75K per night, Westin 50K for partial Ocean View. Can add $700 cash for full ocean view but not sure if that's worth it or what my chances are for an upgrade (LT Titanium). Older couple here, no kids with us. Have been to the big island before years ago staying down by Puako and did like Hakuna beach. Already been to the other islands and being lazy so don't really feel like hopping to another island...

Thoughts?
MK is one of my favorite hotels in the world. Not because it’s ultra lux, but because it is a decently upscale hotel that is on one of the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen. Hapuna is a small step below MK service wise (breakfast pales in comparison for instance) but since Westin took over the difference is narrowing quite a bit. The beach at Hapuna is great as well, just not as “perfect” as the MK one. Westin also has better pools than MK, although I’m a 100% beach/ocean guy in Hawaii.

Basically, you can’t go wrong either way!
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
MK is one of my favorite hotels in the world. Not because it’s ultra lux, but because it is a decently upscale hotel that is on one of the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen. Hapuna is a small step below MK service wise (breakfast pales in comparison for instance) but since Westin took over the difference is narrowing quite a bit. The beach at Hapuna is great as well, just not as “perfect” as the MK one. Westin also has better pools than MK, although I’m a 100% beach/ocean guy in Hawaii.<br /><br />Basically, you can’t go wrong either way!
<br />Post May 1 2022, the Plat+ breakfast are more or less identical between the two properties. Same continental breakfast at both. Can’t speak to the upgraded breakfast though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.