Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels on the Big Island of Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels on the Big Island of Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
One plus for the Marriott Waikoloa if you're able to upgrade is the Na Hale rooms and suites, as they're in their own separate building a short distance from the rest of the resort. We had booked an ocean view room in the main building, and were quite happy to get upgraded as a Titanium to a Na Hale Suite. Our suite was spacious and updated pretty recently (2018?), feeling more like a modern condo than a hotel. The bathroom was huge too, with a shower with a glass door that opens to a private outdoor shower area.

Food at the Waikoloa was just OK, but I usually don't look to eat at a hotel for more than breakfast anyway. OTOH, the Lava Lava Beach Club is just a short walk along the beach and a great place for lunch and drinks while enjoying the views.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Originally Posted by beachfan
I am going for three nights at the Waikoloa and 5-6 nights at Hapuna.

using my 35k free night feet’s seem d too good to pass up.

beacause suite upgrades are important, I chose Hapuna over Mauna Kea. I also heard swimming for adults is better at the Hapuna pools, is that true?
The lone pool at the Mauna Kea is pretty small by modern standards. Think Halekulani if you've ever been there before.

The Hapuna has a couple pools including an "adults only" pool. Here's the blurb from Hapuna's official webpage:
"Cool off in two swimming pools, including a 6,800-square-foot freeform family pool and an adult-exclusive infinity pool, overlooking Hapuna Beach."

Of course both the Hapuna and Mauna Kea have nice beaches if you wish to forgo the pool.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:27 pm

Hawai’i advice: Mauna Kea v. Westin Hapuna

Hi everyone, new member here and looking for advice. Our family is looking to vacation for the first time since the start of the pandemic on Hawai’i island and are looking for advice. I know this question has been asked in various places, but would love an updated view from the experts here in the context of our family and times.

We are considering Mauna Kea or Westin Hapuna for 5 nights in May/June time period. Specifics:
  • Family of 4 with 2 young kids (4 yr; 1 yr, 5 mo)
  • Ambassador status and happy to use SNAs (not expecting much…)
  • Priorities: Nice ocean view room, general family activities (incl. for young kids), pretty beaches (seems like two are similar)
  • Would book the default room with points and hope for upgrade

My understanding of the pros for each below.

Mauna Kea:
  • “Nicer” property and staff; more stylish
  • Quieter beach (although some reviews say people lock down prime chairs early and don’t use them)
  • No resort fee (so, ~$175?)

Westin Hapuna:
  • Better value (80k pts for Westin; 200k pts for MK - long story short, using a series of expiring FNAs and hoping to use the new top-up option early next year)
  • More likely to get upgrades with status, SNAs (?)
  • Better pools for families

Thoughts? Would be great to get input/experiences here! Thanks, all.

Last edited by Clearfield; Nov 20, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:34 am

Programs: None - previously UA
You pretty much have it down. I think your chances of SNA clearing are marginally better at the Hapuna. But your status should ensure at least the beachfront at MK unless it’s super busy. I think they still don’t technically let you book a points stay for 4 at the MK. But I doubt you will encounter any issues. So you can’t go far wrong with either. I would be inclined to use the certs up, and stay at the Hapuna.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
You pretty much have it down. I think your chances of SNA clearing are marginally better at the Hapuna. But your status should ensure at least the beachfront at MK unless it’s super busy. I think they still don’t technically let you book a points stay for 4 at the MK. But I doubt you will encounter any issues. So you can’t go far wrong with either. I would be inclined to use the certs up, and stay at the Hapuna.
Thank you for the helpful reply, and that’s where I’m leaning as well. Both seem like great properties, so likely no “wrong” answer here, but it’s just been a while since we traveled and want to get it “right.”
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Clearfield
Hi everyone, new member here and looking for advice
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Clearfield !

Originally Posted by Clearfield
Thank you for the helpful reply, and that’s where I’m leaning as well. Both seem like great properties, so likely no “wrong” answer here, but it’s just been a while since we traveled and want to get it “right.”
There's no right or wrong. There's what works best for you. And, specifically, do what works best for you on this trip.

David
Clearfield likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
With 2 kids, I'd seriously consider the MVCI in Waikoloa. Trades off a little bit of "style" for a lot more space plus a partial kitchen.
Clearfield likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Clearfield !

There's no right or wrong. There's what works best for you. And, specifically, do what works best for you on this trip.

David
Thank you, sir! Fully agree and leaning towards Hapuna given it seems more family friendly, although the reports of excellent breakfast at MK are tempting (my wife loooves a good breakfast haha)
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
Kona - where to stay on points

Marriott or Westin? Mauna Key is just too costly for me.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
What property criteria are most important for you?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
The Westin is better in every way IMO. The Marriott is more proximate to additional dining and shopping, but the resorts are only about 10 minutes apart, so it shouldn’t matter much if you have a car.

FWIW, we stayed at the Mauna Kea last year and it was extremely disappointing. Future trips to the Big Island will be at the Westin for us.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Stayed 5 nights at the Westin on points a couple weeks ago. Had a very nice stay and would not hesitate to go back.
dgreen12 and andrewstahl like this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
My gf and I are going for 3 nights in October (we’re island hopping), haven’t been to Hawaii before.
The Courtyard is significantly cheaper than the other options - how does it compare?
I’m having a hard time justifying 70k points or so per night, that’s pretty much Maldives pricing and I doubt the hotels are anywhere near as nice as the St. Regis Maldives for example…
Or would it make sense to pay up for one of the other hotels? We’re also going to Oahu, Maui and Kauai…
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
My gf and I are going for 3 nights in October (we’re island hopping), haven’t been to Hawaii before.
The Courtyard is significantly cheaper than the other options - how does it compare?
I’m having a hard time justifying 70k points or so per night, that’s pretty much Maldives pricing and I doubt the hotels are anywhere near as nice as the St. Regis Maldives for example…
Or would it make sense to pay up for one of the other hotels? We’re also going to Oahu, Maui and Kauai…
Depends. Other options are resorts with beach access. CY not so much. If you're going to VNP or visiting other sites (which is likely since you're touring the other islands), the CY serves its purpose.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
The pricing is because of the demand. The Mauna Kea and Hapuna are each on one of the best beaches in Hawaii, many people just stay in the resort when at these properties. So it largely depends what you want to do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.