Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson has passed away

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2021, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter

https://marriott.gcs-web.com/news-re...passing-arne-m

After stepping back from the company earlier this month for additional pancreatic cancer treatment, Arne Sorenson has died. Rest in peace, Arne.
SPN Lifer and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy

After stepping back from the company earlier this month for additional pancreatic cancer treatment, Arne Sorenson has died. Rest in peace, Arne.
Awful News. He had been suffering from Pancreatic Cancer for almost 2 years. RIP.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 6:44 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Awful News. He had been suffering from Pancreatic Cancer for almost 2 years. RIP.
Pancreatic cancer is a horrible way to go. Amazed he made it two years. RIP.
strickerj and IBJoel like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
RIP. There will be a lot of loving tributes to him across the industry today, Having interacted with him multiple times I can report he was unusually thoughtful, empathetic and forward thinking, and personally humble for a CEO. He was also obviously an extremely driven businessman who grew Marriott to the top of the industry when several years ago that wouldn't have been thought of as the obvious outcome. Will be hard to replace within Marriott and the industry. Again, RIP.
Spiff, SPN Lifer, 360guy and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 6:59 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This is indeed sad news. As other members related, he had accomplished so much in his brand, and the lodging industry. Earnestly hope that a widespread cure for this dreaded disease will be available soon.
SPN Lifer and nacho like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
So sad...wrote him once to compliment someone and he personally called me to thank me and discuss my experiences with Marriott. We talked almost an hour....I was shocked that there was a CEO who would talk with customers so freely. I think we exchanged Holiday cards a few times.....RIP for a job well done.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Very painful cancer. RIP
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy

Condolences to the entire Marriott Family as well as to his family and friends!
RatherBeOnATrain likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 11:25 am

Sad news. Condolences to family. RIP.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I read his bio for the first time today. Very interesting life. Born in Japan - moved to US at 7. Became a partner at a law firm. Marriott family recruited him where before CEO was CFO and head of Sales. You don’t have a career like that by accident
SPN Lifer and svo242 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:00 pm

I live locally to Marriott HQ; here is the local article:
Marriott International President and CEO Arne Sorenson dies (bethesdamagazine.com)
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I read his bio for the first time today. Very interesting life. Born in Japan - moved to US at 7. Became a partner at a law firm. Marriott family recruited him where before CEO was CFO and head of Sales. You don’t have a career like that by accident
I know several people of western heritage born in Japan (and even more in born in Asia), also with successful careers. Not suggesting you implied a positive or negative relation; pointing out it is not so uncommon.

Anyway, whatever I might think of what he did with Marriott, condolences to his family, and sympathy for his illness. I've also known a couple people go out with pancreatic cancer, and I can't feel anything but sorry.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:34 pm

My condolences to families and relatives.

Could Marriott make a one category decrease for all their hotel properties as an act of mourning ?
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Could Marriott make a one category decrease for all their hotel properties as an act of mourning ?

IMHO that question is a little too glib at this juncture.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 1:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
A terrible way to die. RIP Arne. Thoughts and prayers for your friends and family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.