Platinum vs Titanium Status

Old Feb 12, 21, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Marriott Bonvoy
Platinum vs Titanium Status

Hello,

I'm new to the site and new to the Marriott Bonvoy program, I couldn't find a previous thread with my question so I'll post it here.

As a Titanium and past Platinum member, have you found any valuable differences between the 2 statuses?

I'm wondering about room upgrades in particular. I have Gold status through my credit card, and with the current promotion of double elite nights I'm going for Platinum this year. What I'm really wondering if it's worth going to the next tier to Titanium.

I've heard mixed stories about room upgrades and using your Suite Night Awards, I've heard upgrades/SNAs are hardly upheld by Marriott properties in the US.

I'd like to hear any feedback from people here, thanks!
Old Feb 12, 21, 8:56 pm
formerly damnyourefine

Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
Platinum seems to be the sweet spot.

Time and again Marriott has demonstrated that they donít value their customers, even at the top. So, my recommendation is don't chase the status and minimize the dollars you spend with Marriott - direct it to good hotels within Marriott if you can, but the status isnít what it used to be.
Old Feb 12, 21, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
I will be the first to admit that I'm in love with my Titanium status. I don't know for use it "opens doors" for me when it comes to upgrades, but I will say this though. As a frequent visitor to a few hotels, I'm greeted by name, sometimes before I arrive via email letting me know that I've been upgraded. And when I've applied SWA, my upgrades tend to be for the higher end suite selected. There have been a few times that my SWA was returned but I still received upgrades to nice suites.

If Titanium is "within striking distance", I will make it a point to "go for it". But in the end, I have enjoyed being Plat as well as Titanium knowing that the room selected is the type I want and any upgrade is well appreciated...
Old Feb 12, 21, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
It's one of those things that you'll never really know. Part of it is property-dependent, part of it is occupancy for the nights you're staying, part of it is dumb luck--maybe a wedding party booked all the suites in an otherwise empty hotel.

When you get an amazing upgrade, is it because of your status? Repeat visit history? Rate you booked? Total luck of the draw?

Likewise, if you get no upgrade at all, would it be different if you had higher status? There's just no way to know. In general, I think you've got a better shot with a higher status, but there is literally no way to do a cost-benefit analysis to determine if it is worth spending more nights and dollars in a Bonvoy property to move up in status based on guaranteed improved future treatment.
Old Feb 12, 21, 11:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
Originally Posted by sfflyer415 View Post
Hello,

I'm new to the site and new to the Marriott Bonvoy program, I couldn't find a previous thread with my question so I'll post it here.

As a Titanium and past Platinum member, have you found any valuable differences between the 2 statuses?

I'm wondering about room upgrades in particular. I have Gold status through my credit card, and with the current promotion of double elite nights I'm going for Platinum this year. What I'm really wondering if it's worth going to the next tier to Titanium.

I've heard mixed stories about room upgrades and using your Suite Night Awards, I've heard upgrades/SNAs are hardly upheld by Marriott properties in the US.

I'd like to hear any feedback from people here, thanks!
I believe by now most if not all hotel will already know that Titaniums are higher than Platinums. So being Titanium might give you slight advantage on upgrade priority.
Another benefit of Titaniums will be possibility of suite upgrade at Ritz Carlton hotels. (Not sure if this matter because even as an Ambassador member, I pretty much never get any meaningful upgrade at Ritz Carlton hotels)

As for SNA, I don't think your current tier matter on SNA application.
I was lucky as most of my stays are in APAC and EMEA region, so I manage to get all my SNA approved so far.
Old Feb 13, 21, 12:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Platinum is the sweet spot and worth going for. Just get 30 nights from holding 2 credit cards. Stay only 20.

Titanium is nice and might have incremental benefits but I would never recommend doing a mattress run to achieve. Maybe 1-2 night mattress run so you can get a free night and higher points earning.

The material differences between platinum, Titanium and Ambassador are negligible.

I'd recommend 30 nights from credit card, 20 from stays and then switch to a different program when the properties are cheaper or better and stay at Marriott as needed if it is the better option. But mattress runs for Titanium aren't worth it
Old Feb 13, 21, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
Platinum is the sweet spot and worth going for. Just get 30 nights from holding 2 credit cards. Stay only 20.

Titanium is nice and might have incremental benefits but I would never recommend doing a mattress run to achieve. Maybe 1-2 night mattress run so you can get a free night and higher points earning.

The material differences between platinum, Titanium and Ambassador are negligible.

I'd recommend 30 nights from credit card, 20 from stays and then switch to a different program when the properties are cheaper or better and stay at Marriott as needed if it is the better option. But mattress runs for Titanium aren't worth it
What's the point of doing Platinum if you only stay 20 nights, but then switch to a different program where you will also presumably have to chase status? Except the OP already appears to suggest that Titanium might be a stretch - i.e. 25 nights wouldn't be easy from regular travel patterns - so you wouldn't earn status organically elsewhere.

For the OP, NO there isn't any substantial benefit to Titanium above Platinum. The free night at 75 nights and some bonus points in 2022.
Old Feb 13, 21, 2:53 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
What's the point of doing Platinum if you only stay 20 nights, but then switch to a different program where you will also presumably have to chase status? Except the OP already appears to suggest that Titanium might be a stretch - i.e. 25 nights wouldn't be easy from regular travel patterns - so you wouldn't earn status organically elsewhere.

For the OP, NO there isn't any substantial benefit to Titanium above Platinum. The free night at 75 nights and some bonus points in 2022.
Re_read what I wrote. I am pretty clear

"then switch to a different program when the properties are cheaper or better and stay at Marriott as needed if it is the better option. But mattress runs for Titanium aren't worth it"

I said to stay at Marriott if it is the better option but not to go out of way for mattress runs

​​
hedoman and YariGuy like this.
Old Feb 13, 21, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
Re_read what I wrote. I am pretty clear

"then switch to a different program when the properties are cheaper or better and stay at Marriott as needed if it is the better option. But mattress runs for Titanium aren't worth it"

I said to stay at Marriott if it is the better option but not to go out of way for mattress runs

​​
So a "cheaper or better" with no status is preferable to just staying at a Marriott as a Platinum? Then just be a free agent and skip the whole credit card, status merry-go-round that only plays into the hands of the big chains / banks.
Old Feb 13, 21, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
As an ex-Tit, current-Plt I agree with most of the opinions, that while Tit is very nice, but it's not worth to go out of your way to achieve it. Short a couple of nights - sure thing, do it. Short 10-15 nights? Only if you can get very cheap rates somewhere - already at $ or €100/night it's a waste of money, you'll never get value of 1-1,5k worth over Plt.

In SEA & EMEA I got excellent suite upgrades both as Tit &Plt with a very good hit rate (90%-ish I reckon)
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Feb 13, 21, 4:27 am

Does Marriott have a soft landing policy? If I achieve titanium in 2021 (valid to Feb 2022) am I guaranteed to be Platinum through to Feb 2023 regardless of the nights in 2022?
Old Feb 13, 21, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR View Post
Does Marriott have a soft landing policy? If I achieve titanium in 2021 (valid to Feb 2022) am I guaranteed to be Platinum through to Feb 2023 regardless of the nights in 2022?
No more soft landings.

Otherwise as you say this would be a compelling, yet unwritten, benefit of Tit.
8420PR and JfromTheBay like this.
Old Feb 13, 21, 5:28 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum and Southwest A list
As a platinum, I have almost always received a room upgrade including some amazing suites. Iíve stayed at JW, W, Marriott, Westin, Sheraton, Resistance Inn, and Courtyard. Usually have the best experiences at W, Westinís, and Sheratons.
Old Feb 13, 21, 6:22 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Silver
The biggest difference is more points. Second biggest difference is United Silver, which can be useful if you donít otherwise qualify for it
Old Feb 13, 21, 6:53 am

I have a very tough time justifying making an effort for Titanium. The difference between Plat and Titanium is minimal in my opinion. I have never really gotten an upgrade that made me think being Titanium is worth it versus Plat. It does matter what properties you travel to of course. Not all Marriott's or RC's handle the various levels the same so the properties matter. If a person normally stays at Fairfield Inn's etc.......it really doesn't matter.
Points Scrounger likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: