Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Accidentally booked a room on the app and cancelled immediately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb

So... This is an embarrassing one...

I was browsing with the app for fun, and accidentally booked a room (same day check-in) by accident, cancelled it within like 5 seconds. Of course it was a Ritz Carlton too and since it's well past the cancellation deadline the cancellation fee was like almost $600CAD.

I called Marriott customer service and explained my dumb dumb mistake. The lady said she will put a note and sent it to the hotel and I should hear back in a few days.

So question... anyone made a similar mistake before?
360guy and momoflyingguy like this.

Last edited by etkuo; Feb 10, 2021 at 3:49 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Lots of people make similar types of mistakes in booking what amounts to non-refundable purchases.

Whether you can get this one refunded will be entirely up to the individual property.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 12:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I've done this before - called up the property and had them cancel it. The US Grant in San Diego had no issues with waiving any fees.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Yes, I have done this before, with hotels, car rentals and airlines.

Calling the hotel directly worked once for me. Other times I have been charged, though I once negotiated a lower price.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
So I also just called the hotel directly. Sounds like they got the note/message from Marriott (and they didn't even ask for my name or reservation number) and said they wouldn't charge..So I guess I should be "safe"...

Stupid mistake on my part. I blame it on the new app interface lol. Hopefully no one makes a same mistake as me!
Old Feb 9, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by etkuo
So I also just called the hotel directly. Sounds like they got the note/message from Marriott (and they didn't even ask for my name or reservation number) and said they wouldn't charge..So I guess I should be "safe"...

Stupid mistake on my part. I blame it on the new app interface lol. Hopefully no one makes a same mistake as me!
Good the property did the right thing. I always call the property directly for mistakes like this. I've found CS has to go to the property anyway for the decision
etkuo, Ryno1234 and Guate87 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Good the property did the right thing. I always call the property directly for mistakes like this. I've found CS has to go to the property anyway for the decision
I figured by going through CS

1) Might create a "record" of my request in case I need to follow-up
2) Might have slightly more bargaining power if it's Marriott CS asking the hotel to waive the fee than me asking them directly
3) Might make Marriott become aware if there are more than a few people making reservations accidentally since the app interface update

But then I thought more about it and that's why I also called the hotel later on during the day to follow-up.
SPN Lifer and momoflyingguy like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
I have done it, though on a booking three months hence. You have 24 hours to cancel usually. Most hotels will be lenient as they won’t have had chance to take the money.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:17 pm

No better time like the present to make these kinds of mistakes. Even though officially the cancellation policies are what they say they are, I recently had a forced short notice change of plans on the day of arrival, called the hotel directly and they did not even ask why I have to cancel.

Agree with others that calling the hotel directly, either right after or instead of calling CS is the way to go.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:30 pm

I've done it and always call the hotel directly. Glad you got this resolved.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Regardless whom you call, keep a record of names (with titles, phone numbers and email addresses if they're hotel personnel) and times of the call. Try to get a follow-up email if possible or a cancellation confirmation with a time stamp as close as possible to the time the reservation was erroneously made. Better documentation will make it easier if there's a mistake and you're charged for the night/deposit/stay.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Regardless whom you call, keep a record of names (with titles, phone numbers and email addresses if they're hotel personnel) and times of the call. Try to get a follow-up email if possible or a cancellation confirmation with a time stamp as close as possible to the time the reservation was erroneously made. Better documentation will make it easier if there's a mistake and you're charged for the night/deposit/stay.
Good advice.

The system generated confirmation email and cancellation emailed showed the exact same timestamp (same minute) since I literally pressed cancel right after I accidentally booked the reservation. I am assuming the Marriott CS and the hotel could see what time the reservation was created and cancelled, but if they didn't I knew I at least had the system emails to try to help my case (even though it's my own mistake...).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by etkuo
So... This is an embarrassing one...

I was browsing with the app for fun, and accidentally booked a room (same day check-in) by accident, cancelled it within like 5 seconds. Of course it was a Ritz Carlton too and since it's well past the cancellation deadline the cancellation fee was like almost $600CAD.

I called Marriott customer service and explained my dumb dumb mistake. The lady said she will put a note and sent it to the hotel and I shoukd hear back in a few days.

So question... anyone made a similar mistake before?
I made a similar mistake and canceled it within seconds but the hotel still charged me the no show fee. I called them today and they were understanding enough to refund me my $ back.

The GM strongly suggested calling the hotel directly next time instead of Marriott Reservations because at that point inside 24h the hotel’s internal systems take over.
SPN Lifer and Guate87 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 8:44 pm

Had once booked a STR property in Asia several months before my trip. Ended not taking that trip but forgot to cancel hotel. Didn't realize until few days after when I saw no-show charge on CC. Rather than going through my Ambassador, decided to call hotel directly and made humble request to reverse charge which they did right away. Would have been my first stay at that property and they could have said no. Maybe it was my status or my approach, not sure. Definitely appreciated.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 3:55 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I've cancelled lots of hotels within an hour of booking on same day reservations. Definitely call the property directly.

Once in Hanoi I had a fight with my GF, and booked an extra room at the Sheraton (was staying at the JW with the GF). GF and I decided to stay together and I no showed the Sheraton. They proactively emailed me and offered to rebook me for another date within a year, which worked out for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.