Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Accidentally booked a room on the app and cancelled immediately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Accidentally booked a room on the app and cancelled immediately

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2021, 3:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I've cancelled lots of hotels within an hour of booking on same day reservations. Definitely call the property directly.

Once in Hanoi I had a fight with my GF, and booked an extra room at the Sheraton (was staying at the JW with the GF). GF and I decided to stay together and I no showed the Sheraton. They proactively emailed me and offered to rebook me for another date within a year, which worked out for me.
That's a funny story. I hope it worked out - I can relate to my much younger days
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
shoukd??

Originally Posted by etkuo
So... This is an embarrassing one...

I was browsing with the app for fun, and accidentally booked a room (same day check-in) by accident, cancelled it within like 5 seconds. Of course it was a Ritz Carlton too and since it's well past the cancellation deadline the cancellation fee was like almost $600CAD.

I called Marriott customer service and explained my dumb dumb mistake. The lady said she will put a note and sent it to the hotel and I shoukd hear back in a few days.
When you do contact the property, tell them you make mistakes...........all the time! "shoukd"??
Old Feb 10, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I've cancelled lots of hotels within an hour of booking on same day reservations. Definitely call the property directly.

Once in Hanoi I had a fight with my GF, and booked an extra room at the Sheraton (was staying at the JW with the GF). GF and I decided to stay together and I no showed the Sheraton. They proactively emailed me and offered to rebook me for another date within a year, which worked out for me.
“Impulsive Hotel Bookings Rarely Work Out”.

I hope the relationship is stronger for it and still rocking!
Nitehawk likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Customer service agents are generally only empowered to enforce the rules you agreed to. It is up to the property. Thus, call the property.
SPN Lifer, etkuo and Guate87 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:42 am

1) Might create a "record" of my request in case I need to follow-up
Calling the chain will definitely create a record. Unfortunately, it's not necessarily a record that the hotel will see immediately.

All hotel groups have proprietary software to communicate complaints/compliments to their hotels. When you call Central Reservations or the Corporate Office with a hotel-related issue, the agent creates a record in that software. The hotel will have X hours (typically 72) to respond.

Most hotels limit access to that software to a small number of managers. It wouldn't be unusual for no one at the hotel to see the request to cancel without penalty until the following morning. At that point, you would have already been charged a no-show fee.

I agree with other folks that wrote that the best way to resolve this issue is to call the hotel directly.

2) Might have slightly more bargaining power if it's Marriott CS asking the hotel to waive the fee than me asking them directly
I used to work in hotels. In one of my jobs, I was responsible for the software described above. I would read each case and distribute it to the appropriate department within the hotel.

While I can only speak for my own chain, I never once felt any pressure to decide a case in one direction just because it came through Central Reservations or the Corporate Office. Where I worked, the case was deemed a complaint, a compliment, or neutral whether it was resolved in the guest's favor or not. So, we weren't swayed.

(All hotels have benchmarks for annual complaints. This type of scenario would be "neutral" in terms of how it affects the hotel in those benchmarks.)

3) Might make Marriott become aware if there are more than a few people making reservations accidentally since the app interface update
Maybe Marriott is extraordinary (but I doubt it). Where I worked, it would take years for someone to connect guest complaints to something like an app interface update.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:54 am

Good advice.

The system generated confirmation email and cancellation emailed showed the exact same timestamp (same minute) since I literally pressed cancel right after I accidentally booked the reservation. I am assuming the Marriott CS and the hotel could see what time the reservation was created and cancelled, but if they didn't I knew I at least had the system emails to try to help my case (even though it's my own mistake...).
I dpn't see a difference between 5 seconds later or 10 hours later. T-24 is T-24 is T-24.

Just curious - what exactly was the mistake? how does the app interface cause you to accidentally book a 6000 USD hotel?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Happened to me twice already. Hopefully it'll be better with this new app they rolled out.
etkuo likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
I dpn't see a difference between 5 seconds later or 10 hours later. T-24 is T-24 is T-24.

Just curious - what exactly was the mistake? how does the app interface cause you to accidentally book a 6000 USD hotel?
There can be a difference if you call the hotel early enough for them to resell the room to someone else. There can also be minor costs if the hotel provides anything special in advance for your room, such as a welcome note or amenity or feather-free pillows. I also suspect that the hotel is more likely to approve the cancellation without penalty if it looks like you made a best faith effort to contact them as soon as you were aware of the error, flight cancellation, weather problem, etc.

Sometimes the hotel is more willing to give you a credit toward a future stay at the property than an outright refund, especially if the night has already been charged to you. It's better than nothing, although this obviously doesn't work in all circumstances.

I make a point to try to return to hotels that have treated me well in waiving cancellation penalties. To me, this is a signal of good customer service, although they obviously can't always waive penalties regardless of the reason for the request.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
When you do contact the property, tell them you make mistakes...........all the time! "shoukd"??
Thanks. Typo fixed. See? Wasn't a smooth day for me yesterday lol

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Calling the chain will definitely create a record. Unfortunately, it's not necessarily a record that the hotel will see immediately.

All hotel groups have proprietary software to communicate complaints/compliments to their hotels. When you call Central Reservations or the Corporate Office with a hotel-related issue, the agent creates a record in that software. The hotel will have X hours (typically 72) to respond.

Most hotels limit access to that software to a small number of managers. It wouldn't be unusual for no one at the hotel to see the request to cancel without penalty until the following morning. At that point, you would have already been charged a no-show fee.

I agree with other folks that wrote that the best way to resolve this issue is to call the hotel directly.

I used to work in hotels. In one of my jobs, I was responsible for the software described above. I would read each case and distribute it to the appropriate department within the hotel.

While I can only speak for my own chain, I never once felt any pressure to decide a case in one direction just because it came through Central Reservations or the Corporate Office. Where I worked, the case was deemed a complaint, a compliment, or neutral whether it was resolved in the guest's favor or not. So, we weren't swayed.

(All hotels have benchmarks for annual complaints. This type of scenario would be "neutral" in terms of how it affects the hotel in those benchmarks.)

Maybe Marriott is extraordinary (but I doubt it). Where I worked, it would take years for someone to connect guest complaints to something like an app interface update.
Thanks for the super valuable insights.

Originally Posted by momoflyingguy

I was playing with the app, pricing out some stays. When I made the mistake it was a 3 night stay at a Ritz-Carlton, hence the higher late cancellation fee. I honestly don't know how I made the mistake, now that I have a chance to go back into the app and revisit it. The page actually looked pretty similar to before the app interface update. But somehow yesterday morning (maybe I pressed too quick) I thought there was another confirmation page (I should have scrolled instead of press to see the breakdown of the charges) when I press that big fat button at the bottom that actually do say "Book Now XXXX.XX CAD"

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Happened to me twice already. Hopefully it'll be better with this new app they rolled out.
So I guess I am not the only one? 😅
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was there a line with the cancellation policies, perhaps with a checkbox to indicate agreement, before the book/reserve button?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was there a line with the cancellation policies, perhaps with a checkbox to indicate agreement, before the book/reserve button?
It does show the cancellation policy for sure, but if you are asking whether there is a check box one needs to physically click to acknowledge that before booking, then no.

Anyways, it's my mistake. Lesson learnt. Now whenever I go back into the app I leave my finger off the screen, scroll carefully, and and think 3 times before I press anything lol.
margarita girl and Guate87 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:53 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Tip: To avoid this from happening, don't save your credit card information in your Marriott profile.
sunil, yule_boy and Often1 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniellam
Tip: To avoid this from happening, don't save your credit card information in your Marriott profile.
And... I actually did that too after yesterday lol
SPN Lifer, 360guy and yule_boy like this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by daniellam
And... I actually did that too after yesterday lol
Brilliant! I'm going to do this too. I use my credit cards so much online these days that I have the numbers memorized anyway. And one less thing to worry about if Marriott gets hacked!
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A couple years ago I made an erroneous reservation that was nominally not cancellable and called central reservations immediately. I think this was Marriott but it could have been Hyatt. The rep cancelled the reservation for me. Told me it had likely not yet been confirmed on the property side, and that there shouldn't be any problem. There was not. So it's not totally useless to call central reservations if you do so immediately.
SPN Lifer and etkuo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.