Gratuities for longer term stays?

Old Feb 8, 21, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
Gratuities for longer term stays?

While not entirely a BONVOY question - there is a BONVOY twist on this....
I find myself staying for the next few months on/off (most on) at a Courtyard in a smaller city.... very nice people, friendly staff, making me feel like home away from home.... the place is very bare-bones these days due to COVID and in asking around, some days <20% occupancy.

Since I am BV platinum, I get a $10/d M&B credit that I use for dinner/snacks - not spending much else (cant drink).....
... room laundry is a minimal here - and I have only asked for fresh supplies every once in awhile - and new linens about once a week......

thoughts on gratuities or some appreciation for the staff - even though my expectations and needs from them are kind of minimal?
Old Feb 8, 21, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For a long-term stay, I would come up with something fair which can be spread around. Rather than tipping per day per item. Maybe $10/week for the room.

The exception is food in the restaurant where it's still fair to tip 15-20%.
Old Feb 8, 21, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
This is a tough one. With hotels hurting, I try to tip more.

Normal times $100-$300 USD for 5 days which I give senior mgt to split as they see fit but only if they go out of their way for me. Right now I'm trying to give more.

​​​​I also give $20-$100 USD to individuals who go above and beyond for me.

But these are at high end, high touch properties. In normal times if they don't do anything for me I don't give a tip at all. But most do

For lower properties, $20-$50 a week is a nice gesture at this time
360guy likes this.
Old Feb 8, 21, 11:31 pm

Programs: Hilton LT diamond, Hyatt diamond, Marriott LTte, AA LT plat, Seabourn diamond elite
Longer term Courtyard stay here. ZERO tipping for ZERO service. Every three weeks, I'll bring in pastries or pizza for the crew. For the rate paid, I pass on the $10 food credit. That was during prime Covid time thru October 2020. Returning next week for another eight month gig and paying 5% more per day than last year. Same top shelf suite. Seems management considers my behavior acceptable.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Feb 9, 21, 5:53 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Obviously, this is a very personal decision. In normal times for family leisure stays, we do $5/day for housekeeping or $20/week at RI's where we decline housekeeping most days. In your case perhaps $20/week to each staff member who has been making your stay feel like home away from home. During the pandemic, I have been increasing my tipping levels as much as I can to help support folks who are in a less fortunate position. I am sure whatever you decide to give will be appreciated by the staff.

--Jon

P.S. For business stays, I have tended to only tip in the restaurants. I typically decline housekeeping during business stays. If I happen to be at a property with valet parking (very rare), I will also tip the valet. I haven't travelled for business for almost one year now. Once I resume business travel, I will probably start to tip housekeeping as well even though I don't use their services most of the time.

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Feb 9, 21 at 6:36 am
Old Feb 9, 21, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
Seems management considers my behavior acceptable.
Management is certainly not going to accept/decline reservations - in this environment especially - based on whether a guest tips the staff. Presumably they don't even have a way of knowing whether you tipped.
Old Feb 9, 21, 11:22 am

Programs: Hilton LT diamond, Hyatt diamond, Marriott LTte, AA LT plat, Seabourn diamond elite
The OP asked a question regarding long term stays. So far, he has had a response from one long term stayer. And that long term stayer does not tip any individual.

Not all hotels want long term guests. Even today. Heck, not all hotels want short term guests. All you have to do is check out pricing to prove it.
Old Feb 9, 21, 11:28 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The age old debate about tipping in general is not particularly useful here. Same reasons to tip or not tip for a 1 vs. a 100 night stay. All comes down to how to break it up and do the right thing under the circcumstances.
Old Feb 9, 21, 12:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The age old debate about tipping in general is not particularly useful here. Same reasons to tip or not tip for a 1 vs. a 100 night stay. All comes down to how to break it up and do the right thing under the circcumstances.
I wouldn’t be so dismissive. The OP is asking about a long term stay at a Courtyard, and is asking for thoughts and experiences from other forum members as to what ‘the right thing’ is, in these specific circumstances.
Old Feb 9, 21, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
I wouldn’t be so dismissive. The OP is asking about a long term stay at a Courtyard, and is asking for thoughts and experiences from other forum members as to what ‘the right thing’ is, in these specific circumstances.
I am not so sure about this. Tipping is personal. There is not really the right thing.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Feb 10, 21, 6:56 am

While I've never been a long-term guest, I used to work in hotels. Granted, the places where I worked didn't have a ton of long-term guests. But, none of the staff ever expected tips for non-tipped positions. That fact was true whether the guest was there for one night or 60.

In most hotels, Housekeeping is a non-tipped position. Food and Beverage employees would be tipped. Although not applicable to most Courtyard locations, Bell and Valet staff are tipped.

As far as I'm concerned, the "right thing" is to tip people who are in tipped positions. Everything else is a personal decision.
hedoman, htb and drod like this.
Old Feb 10, 21, 7:59 am
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
I always wonder what the room rate is for if not to pay for the room and related expenses, like making up the room. And having tipped positions in full service hotels seems even worse: the hotel expects you to pay a premium for excellent service, that has to be paid additionally through tips at each interaction :-(
I'm currently staying at a Courtyard (have so for three weeks and will stay another 3 weeks at least) and wouldn't dream of leaving a tip in the room. Moreover, I'd expect any money left lying in the room to be untouched when I come back in the evening.
The OP never stated in which country the Courtyard is located...
HTB.
Old Feb 10, 21, 8:03 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I am not so sure about this. Tipping is personal. There is not really the right thing.
Tipping is also such a North American thing... Tipping in Europe is unheard of personally.
Old Feb 10, 21, 4:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget View Post
Tipping is also such a North American thing... Tipping in Europe is unheard of personally.
Huh? My impression is that you're expected to tip about 10% in decent restaurants in the UK, generally to tip concierges in Europe if they do something nonbasic for you, to round up in restaurants/pubs/etc. in countries like Germany, and to leave 10-15% in restaurants in southern countries like Italy, etc. In addition, Europeans seem to tip for personal requests, but not for anything that's done for the benefit of the hotel, such as showing you to the room and checking that it's OK or delivering breakfast to your room at a small hotel where there's no other option.
Old Feb 11, 21, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
In my experience working in hotels in USA, for long term stays, a good portion of guests would tip. Most frequently:
  • A meaningful cash gratuity coordinated with the Director of Housekeeping for all of the staff responsible for the guestroom over the stay
  • Bell/door staff who were particularly helpful received a personalized gift from the guest, usually a bottle of alcohol or cash tip, as appropriate to the relationship
  • Occasionally front desk staff get a small cash tip but more often personalized letter to management of specific thanks
  • Over the course of the stay, guests would offer any particularly tasty leftovers the guest would not be eating to the front desk - typically things like top-notch restaurants or pizza - while still fresh (i.e. on the way back into the hotel, not from the guest room fridge)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: