Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gratuities for longer term stays?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2021, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a difference if the food comes from the hotel's own F&B operations, such as leftover buffet food (not half-consumed food from someone's plate) that hasn't been out too long.
SPN Lifer, 360guy and htb like this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I'm at an extended stay (2 months so far) and I usually just leave $10 in the sink for the housekeepers. They know it's not money just lying around (why would it be in the sink lol). Right now because of Covid there's just grab and go bags (not worth it honestly), so easier to get something at the store since I have a full kitchen.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I'm surprised that this comment was so surprising to everyone... I assure you, from a guest that the hotel staff trusts, I have personally watched (and partaken in) the leftovers numerous times during pre-COVID years.

Now these were not sloppy boxed leftovers in general. I'm referring to a particularly expensive cut of meat or cleanly cut, boxed gourmet pizza.

I have never seen such an offer turned down and never seen it thrown away.

Obviously, if you're not comfortable making the offer, you shouldn't. But I've never worked in a property that prohibited it and never seen it less than enthusiastically appreciated.
I personally think it's insulting to them, I wouldn't offer them leftovers. It would feel like I'm degrading them, plus I'm sure they'd much prefer cash since that's why they have a job in the first place.
SPN Lifer and clarkef like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.