Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott didn't return brand standards as claimed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2021, 10:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Recall that Marriott said it was lifting its suspension of brand standards, including Bonvoy elite status benefits. Recall that Marriott also never actually told customers that supposedly guaranteed benefits were suspended for much of the last year.

But it seems like Marriott didn't do this. Or some properties haven't gotten the memo.

I reached out to customer service with questions about a handful of Orlando properties that I'm considering for later this month. Orlando, as well as Florida as a whole, are fully open, including indoor dining. So any property that claims COVID as an excuse for a closed restaurant is lying. Closed restaurants in Florida are about cutting costs, not the pandemic or complying with state or local orders. Yet, three Marriott properties are not providing a breakfast benefit as required by Bonvoy's terms and conditions.

1. Castle Hotel, Autograph Collection
No food-and-beverage service whatsoever. Everything closed. Elites receive points as the welcome gift upon check-in.

This is not compliant. This property is only offering the 1,000 elite welcome points. Depending on how you read the Bonvoy terms and conditions, a guest should receive an additional 750 points or $100 compensation since this property has no lounge, no open restaurant and no alternative breakfast.

See section 4.3.c(iv)(a) of the terms and conditions:

In the United States and Canada: When a Participating Property's Lounge is closed, or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, the property will offer a daily continental breakfast in the restaurant for the Member plus one (1) guest, or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay.
See also section 4.3.c(iv)(c):
Pursuant to section 4.1.c., if Lounge Access (or alternatives or exceptions as outlined above) is not available, Platinum Elite Members will be compensated $100 U.S. dollars for the inconvenience. Participating Properties outside the United States will pay the equivalent in local currency. This guarantee is offered at the following brands: JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection Hotels and Renaissance Hotels.
It should be noted that the Castle is owned and operated by Kessler, which was notorious before the pandemic for cheating elites out of breakfast. One property was providing a $10 voucher that didn't cover the cost of anything on the menu.

2. Four Points By Sheraton Orlando Convention Center

They have no open bar or restaurant and no grab-and-go breakfast.

As a legacy Starwood brand, platinum and higher elites get a choice of 500 points, an amenity or breakfast in the restaurant. Failing to provide that choice is supposed to get a guest $50 per section 4.3.c.(iii) of the Bonvoy terms and conditions.

3. Courtyard Orlando International Drive/Convention Center

Marriott says the restaurant at this property is closed. While breakfast isn't an elite benefit at Courtyards, eligible elites do get a choice of a $10 F&B voucher that can be applied toward breakfast.

Yet, this property is SELLING rooms at package rates that include breakfast for two in the restaurant. That's fraud. But at least you get 5,000 bonus points.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by user48640
Recall that Marriott said it was lifting its suspension of brand standards, including Bonvoy elite status benefits. Recall that Marriott also never actually told customers that supposedly guaranteed benefits were suspended for much of the last year.

But it seems like Marriott didn't do this. Or some properties haven't gotten the memo.

I reached out to customer service with questions about a handful of Orlando properties that I'm considering for later this month. Orlando, as well as Florida as a whole, are fully open, including indoor dining. So any property that claims COVID as an excuse for a closed restaurant is lying. Closed restaurants in Florida are about cutting costs, not the pandemic or complying with state or local orders. Yet, three Marriott properties are not providing a breakfast benefit as required by Bonvoy's terms and conditions.

1. Castle Hotel, Autograph Collection
No food-and-beverage service whatsoever. Everything closed. Elites receive points as the welcome gift upon check-in.

This is not compliant. This property is only offering the 1,000 elite welcome points. Depending on how you read the Bonvoy terms and conditions, a guest should receive an additional 750 points or $100 compensation since this property has no lounge, no open restaurant and no alternative breakfast.

See section 4.3.c(iv)(a) of the terms and conditions:

See also section 4.3.c(iv)(c):

It should be noted that the Castle is owned and operated by Kessler, which was notorious before the pandemic for cheating elites out of breakfast. One property was providing a $10 voucher that didn't cover the cost of anything on the menu.

2. Four Points By Sheraton Orlando Convention Center

They have no open bar or restaurant and no grab-and-go breakfast.

As a legacy Starwood brand, platinum and higher elites get a choice of 500 points, an amenity or breakfast in the restaurant. Failing to provide that choice is supposed to get a guest $50 per section 4.3.c.(iii) of the Bonvoy terms and conditions.

3. Courtyard Orlando International Drive/Convention Center

Marriott says the restaurant at this property is closed. While breakfast isn't an elite benefit at Courtyards, eligible elites do get a choice of a $10 F&B voucher that can be applied toward breakfast.

Yet, this property is SELLING rooms at package rates that include breakfast for two in the restaurant. That's fraud. But at least you get 5,000 bonus points.
So claim your money!! I just received $200 for both lounge and the restaurant being closed. It was painful, the Ambassador desk didn’t side with me but in the end the hotel understood the policy and paid out.
clarkef and skywalkerLAX like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: Yes

Marriott not being forthcoming nor customer friendly? I’m shocked!

Last edited by anteater; Feb 5, 2021 at 4:56 pm
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I only see an issue if Marriott didn't pay a claim - and it appears no claim was made, so I'm not understanding the point of the thread
EdV and msp3 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
As with the Best Rate Guarantee, the various hotel properties know that most guests will not hold them to strict compliance with the Marriott Bonv°y Terms and Conditions.

So do yourself, and all of us, a favor and make your claim!

In the long run, that is much more effective than merely complaining on FlyerTalk — though doing both is okay. ​​​​​​

Beaucoup Bonv°y!
msp3 and Pocatello like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Just file a claim. /thread
Old Feb 5, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
So claim your money!! I just received $200 for both lounge and the restaurant being closed. It was painful, the Ambassador desk didn’t side with me but in the end the hotel understood the policy and paid out.
The OP hasn't yet stayed at any of these hotels. Was calling around to see what hotels were offering what benefits for a future stay. But, yes, I agree, if the OP chooses to stay at any of these hotels the OP should make a claim.
SPN Lifer, jaejaez and DC9 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 4:12 pm

The Cadillac hotel in Miami is only offering 1,000 points even though there restaurant is open for breakfast. No point in arguing with the front desk staff here, claim filed.
SPN Lifer and Thysk like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 4:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
The Cadillac hotel in Miami is only offering 1,000 points even though there restaurant is open for breakfast. No point in arguing with the front desk staff here, claim filed.
Not my experience.

Just stayed here. I was given a choice of breakfast voucher or points. Chose breakfast, which worked for anything in the restaurant. Both buffet or ala carte. They said it didn't include tax, which I thought was cheap. I complained about the resort fee since some of the things aren't available. I was given a $15 voucher for a free drink each day. General manager is good to deal with but the hotel is very short-staffed. I saw some of the workers doing 12-hour shifts. Housekeeping is provided daily upon request only. In-room amenities removed unless you request them. Supposedly because of COVID but most likely to reduce housekeeping and laundry costs. I had dinner one night in the hotel restaurant, Donna Mare. Food was okay. Service was a little off in part because most of the staff don't seem to speak English as a first language. Also, everything is a little pricey because the hotel imposes a mandatory 20% tip in the lobby bar and both restaurants, which is a bit much if you're just ordering a cocktail. Restaurant manager offered me a free drink if I left a positive TripAdvisor review. That was tacky. I second someone else's comment about happy hour at the poolside restaurant and bar. They sell bottles of Moet & Chandon Imperial champagne at half-off.
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 5, 2021, 4:58 pm

Not my experience.

Glad to see you got breakfast. I was there last week so perhaps after all the complaints they finally adjusted their offerings.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Numerous Marriott properties are also selling rooms that include lounge access, Mlife club access etc even though all lounges are closed. This has been going on for the last year. The room rates are higher than the basic room so I wonder what they provide when you show up after booking a lounge access rate.
cfabar1, strickerj and Pocatello like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by houstr8male
Numerous Marriott properties are also selling rooms that include lounge access, Mlife club access etc even though all lounges are closed. This has been going on for the last year. The room rates are higher than the basic room so I wonder what they provide when you show up after booking a lounge access rate.
Deplorable. How do properties get away with this? When will state attorney generals investigate this?
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
(That didn't post...imagine some form of a "shocked cat" meme)
AsiaTraveler and EuropeanPete like this.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Feb 6, 2021 at 5:17 am Reason: no image
Old Feb 6, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I have an issue with a hotel selling breakfast to guests but refusing elites on account of COVID. A closed restaurant on the other hand, just makes economic sense and public health sense. If you don’t like it book another property!
Old Feb 6, 2021, 10:07 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It's going to be hard to say whether this is actually a matter of their temporary halt on brand standards or is just part of hotels doing what they want and Marriott ignoring it, which they've been doing for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.