Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott didn't return brand standards as claimed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott didn't return brand standards as claimed

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I stayed at the Westin National Harbor and they did not offer a welcome choice. When I brought it up they tried to squirm out of it. Said it would take a few days to investigate. Got a rude email saying I was getting 18K and the matter is closed. NOT the $100 that is supposed to be the guarantee benefit when they fail.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I stayed at the Westin National Harbor and they did not offer a welcome choice. When I brought it up they tried to squirm out of it. Said it would take a few days to investigate. Got a rude email saying I was getting 18K and the matter is closed. NOT the $100 that is supposed to be the guarantee benefit when they fail.
Aren't 18,000 Bonvoy points worth more than $100?
Old May 28, 2021, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Aren't 18,000 Bonvoy points worth more than $100?
About $108.00 but you have to remember that "points" are NOT a cash equivalent. A $100 today is a $100 tomorrow. But a $108 worth of points can be $54 tomorrow!
Old May 28, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
About $108.00 but you have to remember that "points" are NOT a cash equivalent. A $100 today is a $100 tomorrow. But a $108 worth of points can be $54 tomorrow!
If there's inflation, $108 today can be worth a lot less tomorrow too.
cfabar1 and WasKnown like this.
Old May 28, 2021, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If there's inflation, $108 today can be worth a lot less tomorrow too.
That is up to the person, what their $108 is worth tomorrow. Smart people would inflation proof their money.
Old May 29, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stvr
I have an issue with a hotel selling breakfast to guests but refusing elites on account of COVID. A closed restaurant on the other hand, just makes economic sense and public health sense. If you don’t like it book another property!
the Marriott in Tysons Corner earlier this year was selling rooms that came with breakfast and rooms with lounge access even though there was no lounge or restaurant open. And unapologetic.
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:16 pm

Is this compliant with Bonvoy terms ? This is for a Westin resort in Canada:
  • Welcome Gift: For our Platinum, Titanium and Ambassador Elite members, available choice are follow:
    • Choice of points
    • Choice of a local gift
    • Choice of a continental breakfast for 2, delivered to the room only.
The "continental breakfast" is a bag containing juice, bagel, cream cheese and a fruit.

However, their restaurant is open for buffet breakfast at the same time.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
The "continental breakfast" is a bag containing juice, bagel, cream cheese and a fruit.

Assuming the hotel doesn’t have a lounge, I’d say this falls in category 2 in the wiki. Problem is Marriott does not define breakfast except in the breakfast cards they hand out to hotels which do say “continental breakfast”.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...explained.html
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hoipolloi

That's a resort I wouldn't want to visit anytime soon!
Tanic and margarita girl like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I also had this happen at the Sheraton in Brooklyn. Was moved there from the Aloft. Hotel did not offer breakfast as an option at checkin and said they could only offer points. Got to the room and the hotel was selling room service breakfast to guests. Restaurants in the hotel were also open. Inquired with Marriott and was told that the hotel did not need to offer me breakfast because the restaurants in the hotel were third-party restaurants. Asked how the hotel could be offering room service breakfast to guests without an in-house restaurant that would qualify for Platinum breakfast and got no reply.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by steveholt
I also had this happen at the Sheraton in Brooklyn. Was moved there from the Aloft. Hotel did not offer breakfast as an option at checkin and said they could only offer points. Got to the room and the hotel was selling room service breakfast to guests. Restaurants in the hotel were also open. Inquired with Marriott and was told that the hotel did not need to offer me breakfast because the restaurants in the hotel were third-party restaurants. Asked how the hotel could be offering room service breakfast to guests without an in-house restaurant that would qualify for Platinum breakfast and got no reply.
I think that’s the scam the cosmo plays?
Old Sep 21, 2021, 10:32 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I think that’s the scam the cosmo plays?
The Cosmo is exempted from providing elite breakfast
Tanic likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
As a followup, I was told today by Marriott customer care:

The Elite Benefits do not have a breakfast guarantee. The only breakfast offered to Elite guests on a complimentary basis is associated with the lounge access. If the lounge is closed, the hotel has the option to offer breakfast in the restaurant or points in the account. The choice of what they offer is at the discretion of the hotel. The Lounge Access Elite Benefit is also dependent on brand participation. Sheraton brandedproperties are not required to participate or offer compensation if the lounge and associated breakfast is not open.
I can't believe we're still doing this whack-a-mole two years into this program and I have to quote Marriott's terms and conditions to customer care.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by steveholt
I can't believe we're still doing this whack-a-mole two years into this program and I have to quote Marriott's terms and conditions to customer care.
It's actually getting worse, at an accelerating rate.
SPN Lifer, Tanic and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's actually getting worse, at an accelerating rate.
It's one of those things they have no incentive to fix. Property knows it's cheaper to pay for MarriottPesos versus breakfast. Franchisor gets paid on MarriottPesos but not free breakfasts. Win/Win/Lose.

They're training customers to keep their expectations low and deliver just enough below those low standards to not make the hassle of getting what you're owed on the lowered standard worth the time. That behavior has lost Marriott, its owned properties, and its franchisees 100% of my business it had previously, but the McKinsey excel jockey with their history degree from Princeton has assured them I am the anomaly. Time will tell!
SPN Lifer and Tanic like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.