Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

2021 Marriott Bonvoy Annual Hotel Category Changes, Effective March 3

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Marriott Bonvoy Annual Hotel Category Changes, Effective March 3

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by christianj
I just don't understand how not a single hotel in NYC went down even a single category!!! I
I suspect this has to do with the strategy for a gradual (or not so gradual) deflation we have seen for many years now. I would guess the overall goal here is to make Marriott Rewards a profit center in its own right.
Originally Posted by swag

But the category changes are done annually. If they lowered the category now, that lower rate would still be in place through February 2022. And since you can lock in a point cost by booking up to 11 months in advance, that means the lower points would be available for stays for all of 2022 and early 2023, well after (we hope) the pandemic has subsided, at least in first-world countries. SO I understand why they didn't.
We won't be able to travel internationally in 21. Most will only get vaccinated late in 21. Tourism is not going to get going until at least late '22. And this is best case scenario, IMO. Feb 22 is more than enough time to raise rates again.
dw likes this.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Feb 5, 2021 at 8:09 am
Old Feb 5, 2021, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jxd
The JW Marriott Gold Coast (Australia) seems to have increased their category before March 3. I tried booking it and it's showing as category 6. The property website is showing as category 6 as well. However on Marriott's category change website, it shows the property as a cat 5 moving up to cat 6. Any ideas?
Have you tried contacting the Lurkers here?
Old Feb 5, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by stuartpig
Pleased to see no changes with our favourites in the UK.
The Langley is being hiked from 6 to 7.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by yurtripper
The Langley is being hiked from 6 to 7.
Maybe they just don’t like the Langley!

Personally I’m amazed that the hotel has gone up two categories in the last 13 months or so, despite not being open to the public for the majority of that time. I’ve had so many stays cancelled over the last few months, and I suspect I won’t get a chance to stay here before both the cash and the points rates become a rip off. I don’t think it will be worth the higher points rates.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
JW Marquis Shanghai Pudong is gong down from cat 6 to 5, excellent.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by stuartpig
Pleased to see no changes with our favourites in the UK.
What are they, out of interest? (looking now to another ‘Great British Summer’....)
Old Feb 6, 2021, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by swag
But the category changes are done annually. If they lowered the category now, that lower rate would still be in place through February 2022. And since you can lock in a point cost by booking up to 11 months in advance, that means the lower points would be available for stays for all of 2022 and early 2023, well after (we hope) the pandemic has subsided, at least in first-world countries. SO I understand why they didn't.
i don't quite agree with that theory....i realise that changes are done annually but the program & all properties reserve the right to make changes mid year....some do as well....

also, i don't think 2021 is going to see travel return to anywhere near pre-covid levels....my guess is things are going to be slow till mid 2022....those booking 11 months in advance are going to be a very small percentage & they will also have to keep in mind that any changes they make to the reservations post march 2022 will be at the new increased rates....i would say the number of people who would stick to a reservation made 11 months out would be even smaller....

either way, it doesn't matter....for whatever reason, marriott felt decreasing category levels was not in their best interest....i'm expecting lots of off-peak & other point saver promos in 2021....maybe some of these will tempt me to use up some points....as of now i'm just sticking to revenue rates....
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
So no Hawaii hotels went down in category? - These hotels are empty!
Old Feb 7, 2021, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by eethan
No, but Sheraton Kauai went from a 5 to a 6.

This also positions Marriott to increase the categories when demand picks up again.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
The Lytle Place Hotel in downtown Cincinnati is going up in category. This is disappointing because this was my go to hotel for a local stay using the 40K Visa certificate.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by eethan
Originally Posted by margarita girl
No, but Sheraton Kauai went from a 5 to a 6. This also positions Marriott to increase the categories when demand picks up again.
The "Sheraton Kauai" in Poipu has been a Cat 6, it's the "Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach" f.k.a. Courtyard Kauai in Kapa'a that's going up. It was a Cat 4 just 16 months ago. Cash prices are also jacked up to insane levels.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
YAY! I can finally use my old 1-4 7 night cert in Moxy Copenhagen (thanks but no thanks - stayed there for 2 months and it's more than enough).
Old Feb 7, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Tanic
The "Sheraton Kauai" in Poipu has been a Cat 6, it's the "Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach" f.k.a. Courtyard Kauai in Kapa'a that's going up. It was a Cat 4 just 16 months ago. Cash prices are also jacked up to insane levels.
They must be anticipating a big demand!
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Conveniently puts it just out of reach of those 35K certs that have been stacking up...
We are headed to Hawaii in a few weeks. Most of our times are in MVC villas, but two nights I am using Bonvoy points. Everything we like conveniently 36K+. Can't use my 35K certs.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
The Langley rising from cat 6 to 7

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Personally I’m amazed that the hotel has gone up two categories in the last 13 months or so
The Langley’s launch category was conspicuously way below par - every other high-end property in the London area is 7 or 8 - so I’m not at all surprised that the Marriott has taken this opportunity to level it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.