Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Will Marriott Reopen Lifetime Titanium Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Marriott Reopen Lifetime Titanium Status?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by lsquare
You got a link to the specific Hyatt thread?

I think I'm already maxed out on Hyatt and Marriott through its promotions this year. I currently have 151 nights with Hyatt, 184 nights with Marriott, and only 35 nights with Hilton. So I'm going to focus and concentrate on Hilton since it makes sense to. I don't think Marriott Ambassador is worth it so I won't pursue it.
70 - 80 - 90 - 100 Nights: Suite Upgrade or Points - Page 3 - FlyerTalk Forums

Starting around post 100 the discussion converted to this topic.

I've actually been musing about the logistics of maintaining Globalist and Titanium (the 48-hour force-in at Marriott is useful and Marriott has the broader footprint, as are the scads of points, but otherwise Globalist seems to have somewhat better benefits).
lsquare and cfabar1 like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I too have been struggling....

In 2022, you only need 20 nights to reach Marriott platinum, whereas you’ll need 55 nights to reach globalist.... But, I keep going back to how quickly Marriott is reducing benefits, and have to wonder if Hyatt Explorist would still be more enjoyable, and consistent than Marriott Platinum.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You got a link to the specific Hyatt thread?

I think I'm already maxed out on Hyatt and Marriott through its promotions this year. I currently have 151 nights with Hyatt, 184 nights with Marriott, and only 35 nights with Hilton. So I'm going to focus and concentrate on Hilton since it makes sense to. I don't think Marriott Ambassador is worth it so I won't pursue it.
With 184 Marriott-Bonvoy nights, are you close to AMB at $14,000 spend this year.....not that AMB status is worth much without an Ambassador?
Old May 17, 2021, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hyatt Globalist night requirement has been cut in half years, so only 25 needed w/ a CC...you just wouldn't get the full TSUs unless you did the 55. That should make the comparison much easier
Old May 17, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by uanj
Respectfully I am not following your point. Marriott was much larger than Starwood which is why they could buy Starwood. Marriott management interviewed senior executives at Starwood for roles in the newly merged company and most were made redundant. Survival rate of Marriott executives was much higher. I do not see how "Starwood Culture", good or bad, could have had much influence on the larger merged company.
Sorry, I wasn't clear - when two organizations come together - even if a larger organization buys a smaller organization, there's a culture change. It's inevitable. Having suffered through many acquisitions and "mergers" both on the side of the big fish gobbling the smaller fish and the smaller fish being gobbled, I know well that, at the end of the day, despite any "corporate speak" of "bringing the best of the two organizations together" or "finding synergies that maximize value" or any other BS, the usual result is a bunch of petty little power struggles, masked in whatever the PC dialog of the era is and a new culture that is a random amalgamation that results from the different "winners". Nothing more and nothing less. And I'm sure the Marriott we know today really is no different. The only way this doesn't happen is if a behemoth absorbs something minuscule. Say Apple dropping a couple hundred million for a company that has some novel technology they want (Siri anyone )
And I was absolutely wrong on Moxy - I stand corrected. It was an experiment by Marriott to be "hip" in Europe and launched well before the Starwood merger. My bad.
Old May 17, 2021, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Happened to me at the RC Kuala Lumpur, RC Koh Samui (Villa) and RC Bali.

But I agree, the way that Marriott excludes Ritz Carlton properties while St. Regis provides all benefits is ridiculous. I have yet to see and RC that is better than a StR so not sure why these properties are so sheltered. Sounds a bit like SQ Suites that were always the holy grail, not accessible to other programs and at one point nobody cared anymore.
This is likely an artifact of the fact the legacy SPG properties did suite upgrades across all their high-end brands (Element and Aloft excluded, but they're not high end), including the St Regis and even the boutique Luxury Collection hotels, whereas suite upgrades in the legacy Marriott program were much more hit-or-miss per hotel. Some went above and beyond but suite upgrades weren't part of the brand standard and RC was always stingy on Marriott status benefits. That's why the legacy SPG brands tend to be more consistent about status benefits than the legacy Marriott brands.

I've gotten a suite upgrade at RC once (RC Marina Del Rey), out of dozens of stays at various RCs. The upgrade and elite treatment at St Regis and LC properties (and even Westins and Ws) is generally much more consistent than the legacy Marriott brands (though some individual legacy Marriott hotels within a brand do well).
Old May 17, 2021, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
70 - 80 - 90 - 100 Nights: Suite Upgrade or Points - Page 3 - FlyerTalk Forums

Starting around post 100 the discussion converted to this topic.

I've actually been musing about the logistics of maintaining Globalist and Titanium (the 48-hour force-in at Marriott is useful and Marriott has the broader footprint, as are the scads of points, but otherwise Globalist seems to have somewhat better benefits).
I don't deny the fact that it's going to be tough once the pandemic is in the rearview mirror. I don't think I can maintain both Marriott Titanium and Hyatt Globalist even though I put in more than 60 butt in bed nights at both chains. I'll probably stay with Marriott just because of its footprint. In terms of service and elite recognition, I haven't noticed any difference in my stays in the Greater China Region. I would say it's a tie.
WasKnown likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfabar1
I too have been struggling....

In 2022, you only need 20 nights to reach Marriott platinum, whereas you’ll need 55 nights to reach globalist.... But, I keep going back to how quickly Marriott is reducing benefits, and have to wonder if Hyatt Explorist would still be more enjoyable, and consistent than Marriott Platinum.
Again, it depends on where you're staying. I haven't noticed any difference between Marriott Titanium and Hyatt Globalist in the Greater China Region.
Old May 18, 2021, 2:16 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by r415
I've gotten a suite upgrade at RC once (RC Marina Del Rey), out of dozens of stays at various RCs. The upgrade and elite treatment at St Regis and LC properties (and even Westins and Ws) is generally much more consistent than the legacy Marriott brands (though some individual legacy Marriott hotels within a brand do well).
In a broad sense, I strongly agree. I think region also impacts things. For example, I have been upgraded to a very nice suite every time I visit the Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong and Ritz Carlton Xi’an whereas the St. Regis Tianjin has been much more of a coin flip. Outside of Asia, there’s no competition. RCs won’t upgrade.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown
In a broad sense, I strongly agree. I think region also impacts things. For example, I have been upgraded to a very nice suite every time I visit the Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong and Ritz Carlton Xi’an whereas the St. Regis Tianjin has been much more of a coin flip. Outside of Asia, there’s no competition. RCs won’t upgrade.
Agree in Asia, although must also say I have been upgraded few times in NA (eg in Montreal) but probably more as a repeat guest and possibly rate vs. Ambassador status.
WasKnown likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel like we have to remind people every day that elite recognition still exists. It's just not in the US but in Asia.
SPN Lifer and WasKnown like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I feel like we have to remind people every day that elite recognition still exists. It's just not in the US but in Asia.
If everybody is elite then nobody is...

There's obviously the cultural difference, but I wonder how long that would last if Unionpay cards came with Diamond, Globalist or Titanium status...
DJ_Iceman and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Indeed, it's true!

There's obviously the cultural difference, but I wonder how long that would last if Unionpay cards came with Diamond, Globalist or Titanium status...
I don't think credit card programs are that lucrative outside of the US. Even Japan is pretty bad. I don't know how China will be better than Japan. Besides, I don't think China is going to go through the credit development process the same way that it happened in the US. The mobile payment revolution with Alipay and WeChat Pay isn't based on credit (at least that's how I understand it).

I guess enjoy it while it last? Seems like Asia and the Middle East have fantastic elite recognition. I haven't had any bad experiences at all. Who knows what will happen as Asia gets rich and home to the biggest economies of the world?
SPN Lifer and WasKnown like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 4:01 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif

If a union pay card came out with Globalist or Titanium status, I would wager they would see more *proportional* sign-ups from expats vs. locals. WeChat Pay and Alipay are far too convenient and many places (ie many non-chain restaurants) don’t even have the capability to accept credit cards.

Regardless, agree complete with lsquare in that Chinese CCs are quite weak.

I would be more curious to see how credit cards play out in the UAE (where co-branded Marriott CCs are offered) and Thailand (where local versions of CCs like the Citi Prestige are all over the place).

I’m not convinced the better treatment in Asia is purely due to higher scarcity of elites (though it probably helps). In the Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park Bangkok, every person I saw check-in was platinum elite or higher. I just think labor is much more of a commodity in Asia so the hospitality teams have higher expectations to deliver satisfactory experiences.

My experience at top US hotels has been comparable to my experience at Asian hotels. It seems that the drop off comes at Premium/Upscale US hotels (Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, etc).

Last edited by WasKnown; May 18, 2021 at 4:08 am
Old May 18, 2021, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If a union pay card came out with Globalist or Titanium status, I would wager they would see more *proportional* sign-ups from expats vs. locals. WeChat Pay and Alipay are far too convenient and many places (ie many non-chain restaurants) don’t even have the capability to accept credit cards.
WeChat Pay and Alipay are indeed very common, but it's not built on a credit model. My understanding is that the Chinese person credit market is underdeveloped. The Chinese terminals probably don't accept credit cards especially foreign ones probably due to the interchange rate? I find that my credit cards are mostly accepted at higher-end Chinese restaurants and hotels.

Regardless, agree complete with lsquare in that Chinese CCs are quite weak.
Just look at Hong Kong as an example. It's one of the richest city anywhere in the world. It's a global financial center. Yet, for whatever reasons, HK card lineups are quite weak. Nothing really compares to the US.

I would be more curious to see how credit cards play out in the UAE (where co-branded Marriott CCs are offered) and Thailand (where local versions of CCs like the Citi Prestige are all over the place).
I think Hong Kong also has a Citi Prestige. I recalled seeing an advertisement when I was there.

I’m not convinced the better treatment in Asia is purely due to higher scarcity of elites (though it probably helps). In the Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park Bangkok, every person I saw check-in was platinum elite or higher. I just think labor is much more of a commodity in Asia so the hospitality teams have higher expectations to deliver satisfactory experiences.
I agree. Thailand and Mainland China seem to have an endless supply of cheap labor.

My experience at top US hotels has been comparable to my experience at Asian hotels. It seems that the drop off comes at Premium/Upscale US hotels (Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, etc).
Most people complain about elite recognition in North America and Europe. I rarely hear anything negative in Asia.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.