FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Experiences Discussion Thread (2021 / 22 / 23 -) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2032410-marriott-bonvoy-ambassador-elite-experiences-discussion-thread-2021-22-23-a.html)

jjLDNY Jan 8, 2021 9:28 pm

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Experiences Discussion Thread (2021 / 22 / 23 -)

So having made Amb for the first time this year I've never experienced the personal ambassador, though the person that reached out to welcome me etc seemed friendly and informed. He also managed to get me some additional points for missing the vouchers that were sent out for Ambs in Nov as I should have made it in time but my last stay took 14 days to log.

Anyway, I just attempted to use the Amb line for the first time, I'm trying to get the email for a GM at a hotel. Called up the main line, through within about 15 seconds and the person that answered took the request and although they couldn't find it, said they will email me back directly(or have them email me directly?). Let's see what happens, and see how long it takes?!

HHQX888 Jan 9, 2021 1:16 am

Originally Posted by jjLDNY (Post 32952792)
So having made Amb for the first time this year I've never experienced the personal ambassador, though the person that reached out to welcome me etc seemed friendly and informed. He also managed to get me some additional points for missing the vouchers that were sent out for Ambs in Nov as I should have made it in time but my last stay took 14 days to log.

Anyway, I just attempted to use the Amb line for the first time, I'm trying to get the email for a GM at a hotel. Called up the main line, through within about 15 seconds and the person that answered took the request and although they couldn't find it, said they will email me back directly(or have them email me directly?). Let's see what happens, and see how long it takes?!

Really ??? If I remember in the past at SPG, I don't need Ambassador status to do this things as you wrote.

jjLDNY Jan 9, 2021 7:28 am

Originally Posted by HHQX888 (Post 32953021)
Really ??? If I remember in the past at SPG, I don't need Ambassador status to do this things as you wrote.

Don't get me wrong, I know this is probably(?) one of the least interesting use cases for an Ambassador, I before hitting it would just call myself. However, as I was enquiring about a hotel I haven't stayed at before, I figure a referral may yield a different answer to my enquiries. And as an update, the hotel did reach out to me within 2 hours, which isn't bad. No GM at the moment so the manager reached out.

Anyway, open to hear of more exciting things I can put it to use for if you have some suggestions?

anteater Jan 9, 2021 9:06 am

Originally Posted by jjLDNY (Post 32952792)

welcome to the club! :)

Interesting data point as whenever I have asked for a hotel GMs email the AMB team always said they cannot disclose it due to “privacy”. Then, I hang up and call the hotel front desk and the hotel gives it out without a care.

kaizen7 Jan 9, 2021 11:42 am

Originally Posted by jjLDNY (Post 32953551)

Anyway, open to hear of more exciting things I can put it to use for if you have some suggestions?

Those General Ambassador Service did have fast response time as they handled by multiple people across different time zones.
While personal ambassador usually works during certain working hours in their time zone.

As for exciting things you can use your ambassador team, most I can think is contact the hotel concierge to make a dinner/theatre reservation for you. :D

HHQX888 Jan 9, 2021 1:54 pm

@kaizen7: If I try too book LaPerle tickets in Dubai using Ambassador office, I had answer it is not possible, pls. go to web site and book by yourself. :td:

UKTraveller4Fun Jan 9, 2021 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by HHQX888 (Post 32954505)
@kaizen7: If I try too book LaPerle tickets in Dubai using Ambassador office, I had answer it is not possible, pls. go to web site and book by yourself. :td:

Not sure this is something the Ambassaodr team would be able to help with for several years, back in the early days of the scheme withing SPG they would be able to no issue at all but once it went official even withing SPG would be less likely. What would have happened would be if you had a hotel booked within SPG they would contact the concierge locally of the hotel your booked into and ask them to get you a prace and thus tickets for it and to be fair I assume you have a reservation for a Marriott property in Dubai and is very dissapointing they could not reach out to that concierge to arrange. Disappointing to say the least, but hey this is Marriott remember!

HHQX888 Jan 10, 2021 3:57 am

Yes, I know what was under SPG umbrella. My booking was in old W Dubai /this same building as LaPerle show/, yess this is now Marriott - but I have now bookings on Hyatt till end of January that I have top tier.

Wozza2404 Jan 12, 2021 2:04 am

Originally Posted by HHQX888 (Post 32955782)
Yes, I know what was under SPG umbrella. My booking was in old W Dubai /this same building as LaPerle show/, yess this is now Marriott - but I have now bookings on Hyatt till end of January that I have top tier.

The old W hotel where La Perle is held is now a Hilton, and has been for a couple of years. So if you're not staying in a Marriott in Dubai for the local Concierge to help, I'm not surprised AMB were unable to assist.

HHQX888 Jan 12, 2021 5:51 am

I had this situation in the past when hotel was still in Marriott network, you thing 'couple of years' but this is a reminder rebranding Habtoor hotels took place in Aug.2018

kaizen7 Jan 12, 2021 12:45 pm

W Dubai and St Regis Dubai that reflagged to Hilton I believe ?

Anyway, back to ambassador experience topic, what everyone think about reduction ambassador threshold for 2021 to $14k?
With 50 nights will be deposited in Feb if members currently an ambassador, it will only require 50 nights stay.
at average $280/ night

Worth the value? meh? definitely not worth the value?

jjLDNY Jan 12, 2021 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7 (Post 32962492)
W Dubai and St Regis Dubai that reflagged to Hilton I believe ?

Anyway, back to ambassador experience topic, what everyone think about reduction ambassador threshold for 2021 to $14k?
With 50 nights will be deposited in Feb if members currently an ambassador, it will only require 50 nights stay.
at average $280/ night

Worth the value? meh? definitely not worth the value?

Stupid decision that will delay the much needed revamp of the status. As it currently stands, the mass majority of Ambs will say that the Ambassadors are middle-men that are slower than calling the hotel directly, and Your24 is rarely useful, and rarely accepted. The only reason to go for the status is for its prestige (which is why we're all here really isn't it :p).

But on a serious note, people should not strive for just prestige. The status needs to be revamped or simply have its % increased over and above Titanium, even if it were to 80%. It at current delivers no real value over Titanium.

Marriott needs to see the number of Ambs dwindle to speed up the revamp. Not inflate it with discounted entry requirements to make themselves feel like it's a worthwhile status.

HHQX888 Jan 13, 2021 2:57 am

@kaizen7 definitely not worth the value for me. You will see again in 2022 more members as Ambassador and Marriott will hire again external call center staffs as Ambassador staffs w/o any experience - and you will have as member 'very good' support :).

raunow Jan 13, 2021 4:37 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7 (Post 32962492)
at average $280/ night

Or for US Credit Card holders (up to 30 status nights) and choosers of 2*5 status nights as Annual Choice "gift", Ambassador requlification will only require 10 status nights or 5 actual nights under the double nights promotion in 2021 at average of $2800 (pre tax).... Even at Manhatten or San Francisco rates that will require quite a bar tab...

Seriously though, since the same math applies to US Titaniums with Credit Cards, these will requalify with only 1(!) night and no spending requirements in 2021, so Ambassador status may actually be needed to get any kind of priority in a year where everybody in US will be Titanium !

UKTraveller4Fun Jan 13, 2021 6:11 am

Originally Posted by raunow (Post 32964267)
Or for US Credit Card holders (up to 30 status nights) and choosers of 2*5 status nights as Annual Choice "gift", Ambassador requlification will only require 10 status nights or 5 actual nights under the double nights promotion in 2021 at average of $2800 (pre tax).... Even at Manhatten or San Francisco rates that will require quite a bar tab...

Seriously though, since the same math applies to US Titaniums with Credit Cards, these will requalify with only 1(!) night and no spending requirements in 2021, so Ambassador status may actually be needed to get any kind of priority in a year where everybody in US will be Titanium !

While I do think Marriott have made things to easy overall and especially announcing it so early in the year, which means there could be very little incentive to stay at Marriott later in the year if they don't have great promos.
​​​​​​It is worth remembering the numbers you quote are to qualify for a status they already held (so not an increase in membership from 2019/20), the bigger question is how many Golds / Plats will it inspire to push on for Plat/Titanium and if that's a lot that could help Marriott later in the year, but indeed make 2022 the year status with Marriot really gets diluted due to sheer volume!

The only plus I can see is by announcing they still have a spread threshold for Ambassador it seems like they intend to keep the status around and I don't think even Marriott can believe they can run it how it currently is once Covid eases and they no longer have the excuse to hide behind.