Wiki Posts
Search

Status for an extended stay

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Status for an extended stay

Hi, so not usually a big Marriott person but I will be spending several months in TownPlace Suites. Not my first choice but we are relocating and the only pet friendly place close to my new office.

I’ll likely get at least Titanium if not Ambassador depending on how many months we stay at the end. When I check in I’ll be probably Silver, but will I get the bonus points for elite status when I check out retroactively added or will I just get the Silver 10% bonus for the entire stay?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Silver. I strongly strongly suggest you 1) get a Marriott credit card that grants platinum status (the deadline is soon to apply).
​​​​​​
2) if you miss it, book enough nights for Plat then check out and stay elsewhere for 1 night. Get silver bonus points. Then check back in

I've been very critical of Marriott but their point earning for Plat/ Titanium is extremely generous. Extremely. So it is worth getting the plat or even Titanium bonus points especially if you will earn for months of stays.

The points add up shockingly quickly w Marriott. Get the credit card ASAP. Like within 10 seconds of reading my message. It's worth it for plat
​​

Originally Posted by DG206
Hi, so not usually a big Marriott person but I will be spending several months in TownPlace Suites. Not my first choice but we are relocating and the only pet friendly place close to my new office.

I’ll likely get at least Titanium if not Ambassador depending on how many months we stay at the end. When I check in I’ll be probably Silver, but will I get the bonus points for elite status when I check out retroactively added or will I just get the Silver 10% bonus for the entire stay?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by DG206

I'd also recommend making the reservation in 2-4 week blocks (whatever the minimum is to get the long-stay rate). You can check-out/in without changing rooms, but it will make sure you get the bonus points for your level without having to check-out and stay somewhere else. I've relo-ed multiple times and that's how I've always handled it. Keep in mind TownePlace is only 5pts per dollar instead of the 10, but all of the extended stay brands are at the reduced level so no real way to avoid it if you need the kitchen and extra living space.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Silver. I strongly strongly suggest you 1) get a Marriott credit card that grants platinum status (the deadline is soon to apply).
​​​​​​
The points add up shockingly quickly w Marriott. Get the credit card ASAP. Like within 10 seconds of reading my message. It's worth it for plat
​​
I know that really crossed my mind but we’re trying to find a house to buy so I don’t want to mess with the credit inquiries. I’m paying out of pocket so that would be a very nice way to rack up some points
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SHLTP
​​​​​​
2) if you miss it, book enough nights for Plat then check out and stay elsewhere for 1 night. Get silver bonus points. Then check back in

I've been very critical of Marriott but their point earning for Plat/ Titanium is extremely generous. Extremely. So it is worth getting the plat or even Titanium bonus points especially if you will earn for months of stays.

​​
Originally Posted by dcstudent
I'd also recommend making the reservation in 2-4 week blocks (whatever the minimum is to get the long-stay rate). You can check-out/in without changing rooms, but it will make sure you get the bonus points for your level without having to check-out and stay somewhere else. I've relo-ed multiple times and that's how I've always handled it. Keep in mind TownePlace is only 5pts per dollar instead of the 10, but all of the extended stay brands are at the reduced level so no real way to avoid it if you need the kitchen and extra living space.
thanks I think this is what I have to do sadly. It’s fine I guess just need to keep track.

I think Hyatt House is the only brand tofu extended stays that gives the full points accrual but Marriott seems to have quite a monopoly in their Bethesda home turf. But yeah, it’s me, wife, toddler, dog and a cat so need that space and amenities
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
@DG206 have you gone to checkout the property in person? TownePlace Suites are highly variable in quality (much more so than any other of the Marriott brands). I have stayed at some newer ones which are quite nice and can be a bargain at the typical price point. On the other hand, I had stayed at some older ones that were so bad, I swore off the entire brand for a few years. So especially for an extended stay like you're planning, if you haven't already, go tour the property including a sample of the room type you plan on booking.

--Jon

Residence Inn's are a step up from TownePlace Suites for extended stay with more spacious rooms and a better breakfast (at least in non Covid times). They are also variable in quality; however, I have had far fewer bad experiences with RI's. Element is also a MR extended stay brand from the Starwood acquisition. I don't have any experience with them so can't provide any guidance for them.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:59 pm

I would suggest doing a status challenge request; this will get you to Platinum in 15 nights, and since it’s based on nights, not stays, you don’t have to check out and go elsewhere - just have a reservation that starts on night 16. You may have to phone to get the bonus points, but you are entitled to them regardless of whether the status has updated at check-in - what matters is that you’re qualified
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:37 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Most extended stay properties do a pre-settlement on the credit card each week or so. Ask the FD to report the nights and points to bonvOY when they run the bill. There shouldn't be a need for separate reservations.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 5:19 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
The other thing you can do is stay enough to get plat status, check out and then put the hotel room in your wifes name for 1 night, then check back in the next day in your name

IME - doing a check out/in the same day in your name has a 50/50/90 shot of giving you the status/bonus etc

Originally Posted by Tanic
Most extended stay properties do a pre-settlement on the credit card each week or so. Ask the FD to report the nights and points to bonvOY when they run the bill. There shouldn't be a need for separate reservations.
This also IME has a better shot, but not always - I personally think it comes down to the hotel and their system, because it really seems hotel dependant on how this works. I don't know if they can change it on the fly
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Hotels in most states will refund some or all of the taxes paid on long term stays (often 30+ nights). So don't make separate reservations, or if you do, make sure all of them exceed the threshold for the state you'll be in. The hotel should be able to provide that info.

Once you have you reservation in place, I'd call Marriott to inquire about a status challenge. I think the current published version requires status in another chain, but even without that, if they can see your 100+ night booking, they may offer you something (that's how I forst got status, albeit many years ago).

If that fails, then talk to the hotel and see if they can post your nights to Bonvoy whenever you settle up your bill, which will likely be every week or two.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VibeGuy
I would suggest doing a status challenge request; this will get you to Platinum in 15 nights, and since it’s based on nights, not stays, you don’t have to check out and go elsewhere - just have a reservation that starts on night 16. You may have to phone to get the bonus points, but you are entitled to them regardless of whether the status has updated at check-in - what matters is that you’re qualified
AFAIK this has been discontinued when the recent status match promotion was rolled out.

I would book the reservations in blocks as others here have suggested this way the OP can gradually upgrade his status and not miss out on bonus points. Checking in somewhere else in ebtween will be difficult because of the pet. It's no longer necessary anyway since Marriott doesn't do stay qualification vs night qualification anymore and doesn't have a limit of 30 days for points credit like SPG did.

Also the blocks might help with facilitating payment and possible argument with hotels how to pay (in advance/in between/at the end). This is often an issue with multi month stays. Hotels don't like customers to rack up huge bills they could potentially default on, especially in times like these.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Dont forget that if your stay falls between February 16th & April 27th, 2001 you will earn double Elite Qualifying Nights & double points.

"You can also earn rewards faster with our Better Two-gether promotion. Get double points and double ENCs for stays of two nights or more between February 16 and April 27, 2021. Keep an eye out — registration starts soon."

James
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Tanic
I was trying to get a Moxy in Europe to do that and it's impossible. My 2 month stay gave me 50k points as a Plat - parking doesn't give points and sale tax in Denmark is 25%, yeah I got 50k points instead of staying at airbnb.

If it's a remodelled TPS you should be fine, I really don't understand the non-existence of hotels like RI and TPS in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.