Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Announces Goodwill Elite Qualification for 2021

Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
On 1/11/2021, Marriott announced its elite qualification for 2021.

For 2020 Elite status earners: To help you get to the next Elite level faster, we will deposit 50% of the required Elite Night Credits for your 2020 Elite status into your account by February 5, 2021. We have also reduced the required spend for Ambassador Elite to $14K annual qualifying spend in 2021 only. In 2022, the spend requirement will return to $20K annually.

Marriott Bonvoy™ Members who earned Elite Status in 2020 will receive a onetime deposit of 50% of their tier's annual Elite Night Credit requirement, e.g. those Members who achieved Platinum Elite status in 2020 would receive 25 Elite Night Credits in their Account in February 2021.

Since Members already received an extension of their earned 2019 Elite Status through February 1, 2022, the Elite Night Credit deposit helps Members reach the next tier faster.

In addition, these Elite Night Credits will count towards achieving the 2021 Annual Choice Benefit, as well as achieving Lifetime Elite Status. 50% Elite Night Credits deposit and remaining 2021 Requirements needed to achieve the next tier's Status are based on the 2020 earned Status tier as follows:

Ambassador Elite will receive 50 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 50 Elite Night Credits and US$14,000 in Qualifying spend in 2021 to re-achieve Ambassador Status

Titanium Elite will receive 38 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 62 Elite Night Credits and US$14,000 in Qualifying Stay Spend in 2021 to achieve Ambassador Elite

Platinum Elite will receive 25 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 50 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Titanium Elite

Gold Elite will receive 13 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 37 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Platinum Elite

Silver Elite will receive 5 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 20 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Gold Elite

Member tier will not receive Elite Night Credits and will need a total of 10 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Silver Elite

Example:
A Member who earned Gold Elite Status in 2019 already received an extension of the Gold Elite Status to February 1, 2022. To achieve the next tier up of Platinum Elite in 2021 to enjoy through February 2023, the Member will need to achieve a total of 50 Elite Night Credits by December 31, 2021. This Gold Elite Member will receive 13 Elite Night Credits (50% of the 25 normally needed to requalify for Gold), which means the Member will only need 37 Elite Night Credits to achieve Platinum Elite this year.

Complete FAQs:
Bonvoy Members & COVID-19? (marriott.com)

Annual Choice Benefit Selection:
https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/...arriott-bonvoy

Print Wikipost

Marriott Announces Goodwill Elite Qualification for 2021

Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by RedSun
The FN and all the certificates are another issue Marriott has to handle. With all the pandemic in US and Europe, it is very unlikely that travel can reach 50% of its previous levels by this summer. We may reach 70% by end of year when most of us receive vaccines. Marriott would probably at least extend those FNs again to end of year. It is only another 4 months. Marriott likes to drag its feet and speculate, always late to the dragging game.
In their defense, dragging their feet probably spurs some people to use FN certs now rather than risk expiration. I expect the cost to Marriott for redemptions right now is near zero given that they have tons of inventory.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Right now Marriott offers both cash and point promotions. But we have a lot of those FNs to redeem first. So I just do not see those cash and point promotions worth a lot to quite some people. People in Asia are probably in better situation.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:48 am

How about waiving refund/cancel penalties on prepaid non refundable rates and withdrawing peak redemption rates for 2021 whole year ?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX

If they credit me 25 nights I'm going to call HQ and rip them a new one that's for sure.
Do you have HQ's number ? How will you "rip them a new one" ? What will you say to the other person on the phone?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
This is very good news and I’m glad I pushed for Titanium in 2020.

If any Lurkers are reading this, I would personally be enormously grateful if the healthcare heroes rate was extended past February 2020 and into late 2021. I currently cannot use the healthcare rate in the UK or Europe due to lockdowns, and I don’t see that changing by the end of February.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Whilst I'd like to get half of my 208 nights last year, this is fine .

As mentioned in a number of threads, reducing the threshold for Amb in my opinion is only going to delay the required refresh of the status. I'd suggest no one strive to achieve it unless they were going to hit it naturally as the Ambassador currently does not do anything more than middle-man a call to the hotel, and your24 is rarely accepted.

It is best for Marriott to see a reduced number of Amb so they fix it rather than help push more people into it. A simple increase in earning % would provide it with value, currently it has no benefit above Tit (over than prestige).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
That's not exactly what the article says.

It says these credits are based on the "individual status in 2020". What exactly does that mean?

If someone became Titanium in 2020 with 100+ night how many nights will that account receive as part of this campaign?
Assuming the member started the year either as Base/Silver/Gold/Platinum member.
You get half 75 nights. 2019 I had 101, but only received 38 nights for 2020.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:15 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
So, help me get this straight:

I made Titanium during the 2020 calendar year, so 38 credits there. Chase credit card adds 15 to that: 53 nights credited before my first stay in 2021.

My account currently shows 9 years as Platinum and 970-some lifetime nights. This basically locks me into lifetime Plat, right?

At 53 nights credit, I'll get to pick a gift, as I did when I (unnaturally) hit 50 then 75 nights in 2020. If I do select the 5 nights elite credit, I'm at 58 nights, and just 17 nights from another year of Titanium. (Of course, I'd wait until later in 2021 to select the 5 extra elite credit nights, as I don't know where I'll end up, no reason to waste my pick of 5 elite nights if I hit it organically).

...But in summary, this announcement basically locks me into lifetime Plat as well as only needing, worst case, 17 nights to hit Titanium again?!?!!? Am I understanding this correctly?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
This is very good news and I’m glad I pushed for Titanium in 2020.

If any Lurkers are reading this, I would personally be enormously grateful if the healthcare heroes rate was extended past February 2020 and into late 2021. I currently cannot use the healthcare rate in the UK or Europe due to lockdowns, and I don’t see that changing by the end of February.
A strict reading of the terms makes it look like the ENC deposit will be based on the status held in 2020, thus unless you were Titanium it'd default to what your 2020 status was (Platinum/Gold/Silver) as opposed to what status you earned in 2020.

That's my strict interpretation of it, though they may have worded it clumsily - care to confirm either way Marriott Bonvoy Lurker ?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by justned
ENC needs at least one paid night, so get creative and do 1 paid night and points redemption for the rest of your stay.
Any confirmation this is actually possible?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Marriott
Save up to 40% when you redeem points for Free Night Awards by February 21, 2021
Does this mean you have to travel by Feb 21 or book by Feb 21?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
A strict reading of the terms makes it look like the ENC deposit will be based on the status held in 2020, thus unless you were Titanium it'd default to what your 2020 status was (Platinum/Gold/Silver) as opposed to what status you earned in 2020.
The FAQ actually says "status earned".

Marriott Bonvoy™ Members who earned Elite Status in 2020 will receive a onetime deposit of 50% of their tier's annual Elite Night Credit requirement, e.g. those Members who achieved Platinum Elite status in 2020 would receive 25 Elite Night Credits in their Account in February 2021.
Also this was a nice thing to see:

In addition, these Elite Night Credits will count towards achieving the 2021 Annual Choice Benefit, as well as achieving Lifetime Elite Status.
I just made lifetime Plat, then.

Bonvoy Members & COVID-19? (marriott.com)
renila, SPN Lifer and yule_boy like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Originally Posted by typical
The FAQ actually says "status earned".
You'd think they would be clearer - this is a pretty important distinction for most people who had lower stay activity in 2020 as compared to their rolled-forward status.

Based on the example below, it seems like they are basing it on your actual 2020 status, not what you would have "earned".

Example:
A Member who earned Gold Elite Status in 2019 already received an extension of the Gold Elite Status to February 1, 2022. To achieve the next tier up of Platinum Elite in 2021 to enjoy through February 2023, the Member will need to achieve a total of 50 Elite Night Credits by December 31, 2021. This Gold Elite Member will receive 13 Elite Night Credits (50% of the 25 normally needed to requalify for Gold), which means the Member will only need 37 Elite Night Credits to achieve Platinum Elite this year.
ChurnieEls likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
You'd think they would be clearer - this is a pretty important distinction for most people who had lower stay activity in 2020 as compared to their rolled-forward status.
The FAQ strongly suggests it is the status held at the end of 2020.

e.g. those Members who achieved Platinum Elite status in 2020 would receive 25 Elite Night Credits in their Account in February 2021.
[...]

Example:
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Does this mean you have to travel by Feb 21 or book by Feb 21?
Booking Dates: January 11, 2021 – February 21, 2021
Stay Dates: January 11, 2021 – September 30, 2021

The details are here: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-27591

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.