Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard: Elite Benefits Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold

I have a long stay coming up a CY soon.....I am doing a status match to get Platinum elite, so humor be for being new at this.
According to the benefits - as a PE, I am eligible for free breakfast every day (since no lounge access), but is this different than or in addition to the "welcome gift"?

-m
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Depends on where in the world you are. Domestically, Courtyards are considered limited service properties....while there is a "bistro" that serves breakfast (and converts into a bar at night), there is no formal Platinum breakfast offering. Instead, for your Platinum welcome gift, you can choose $10 daily F&B credit, that you can choose to use toward breakfast if you want (or any other on-property consumption). But my understanding is that the properties prefer that you select bonus points as your welcome gift, as the F&B credit will cut directly into their revenues. (I've sometimes had to mention the $10 credit proactively when the front desk just offers the bonus points at check-in.)

Overseas, Courtyards might have a restaurant or different deal, but I still doubt it will be a full breakfast offering for elites. I've stayed at the one in Isla Verde, Puerto Rico, which has a full hot breakfast in the main restaurant every day, but it's expensive, so $10 wouldn't be enough to cover it. But, there is also a coffee shop and two bars on site, so there are plenty of ways to get your money's worth out of the $10.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Courtyards in Asia typically offer proper breakfast, although the extent of options has been receding.

In the US, Courtyard offers fairly little (detailed above).

Where are you staying?
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:52 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Overseas, Courtyards might have a restaurant or different deal, but I still doubt it will be a full breakfast offering for elites. I've stayed at the one in Isla Verde, Puerto Rico, which has a full hot breakfast in the main restaurant every day, but it's expensive, so $10 wouldn't be enough to cover it. But, there is also a coffee shop and two bars on site, so there are plenty of ways to get your money's worth out of the $10.
Overseas, particularly in Asia, many Courtyard properties do have full breakfast for elites. Outside US/Canada, if the CY property has a lounge, they have to offer breakfast in the lounge, or if the lounge is closed, breakfast in the restaurant. Same lounge access guarantee as brands like JW.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by mfirst
I have a long stay coming up a CY soon.....I am doing a status match to get Platinum elite, so humor be for being new at this.
According to the benefits - as a PE, I am eligible for free breakfast every day (since no lounge access), but is this different than or in addition to the "welcome gift"?

-m
Ethical or not. If you are traveling alone....when you check in say you are traveling with another guest. You will get (2) $10 vouchers for a total of $20 daily. If you are staying 10 days. Big difference between $100 and $200.
reggiekush likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:05 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Marriott15
Ethical or not. If you are traveling alone....when you check in say you are traveling with another guest. You will get (2) $10 vouchers for a total of $20 daily. If you are staying 10 days. Big difference between $100 and $200.
Don’t try that at Oxford UK. When we stay we book two rooms as Mr SP has health conditions that mean he needs his own room. I was told I could only have 1 F&B voucher per day as he was in another room. So I paid a lot more to get a lot less!! I managed to get them to do it for two in the end.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by stuartpig
Don’t try that at Oxford UK. When we stay we book two rooms as Mr SP has health conditions that mean he needs his own room. I was told I could only have 1 F&B voucher per day as he was in another room. So I paid a lot more to get a lot less!! I managed to get them to do it for two in the end.
That's a different scenario, and is the correct application of the benefit. If you book multiple rooms, then the breakfast benefit only applies to one (your) room. If you had 'another guest' in your own room, then you would get 2 vouchers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:36 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
That's a different scenario, and is the correct application of the benefit. If you book multiple rooms, then the breakfast benefit only applies to one (your) room. If you had 'another guest' in your own room, then you would get 2 vouchers.
Not when we are in a room together and he just sleeps in the other. I could have lied and said there were 2 people, but I explain the situation and they think that it is fair to tell me that my husband can’t have anything. We only go for leisure stays and pay for everything ourselves but seemingly someone on expenses sees it as fair to pretend there are two people to get some freebies. Not on.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:57 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Not?
ExArkie likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Staying in a Wisconsin courtyard
web site lists a bistro
no lounge
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Staying in a Wisconsin courtyard
web site lists a bistro
no lounge
It will be $10 F&B credit per day which translates to one snack and one non-alcoholic beverage basically.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:56 am
Original Poster

I am ok with $10/day - sure beats a sharp stick in the eye... just want to understand how this is handled because the "rules" imply that the benefit is both a "welcome gift" (which could include breakfast) and "breakfast" (which could include a voucher if there is no lounge or if the lounge is closed) - and since CY dont have lounges (right?).....

thank you

-m
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I am ok with $10/day - sure beats a sharp stick in the eye... just want to understand how this is handled because the "rules" imply that the benefit is both a "welcome gift" (which could include breakfast) and "breakfast" (which could include a voucher if there is no lounge or if the lounge is closed) - and since CY dont have lounges (right?).....

thank you

-m
Keep in mind that Marriott Bonvoy elite benefits vary by brand.

There are some brands where you get breakfast (in the lounge or in the restaurant if there's no lounge) plus a welcome gift. But Courtyard (outside of Asia) is not one of those brands.

At Courtyard (also AC Hotels and Moxy), if you're Platinum Elite or higher, you can choose a daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as your welcome gift option (NOT in addition to it). This credit can be applied toward breakfast or toward another F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. The credit does not accrue over a multiple-night stay, which means, for example, on a two night stay, if you fail you use your $10 credit the first morning, you don't have $20 available to you the second morning.

You can read all the details at the Marriott Bonvoy Terms & Conditions, or you can look at the wiki at the top of the following thread for an overview (but not for all the gory details): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...explained.html

Also, some locations have adjusted the benefits during COVID-19 mitigation.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Jan 11, 2021 at 10:45 am
Old Jan 12, 2021, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by stuartpig
Not when we are in a room together and he just sleeps in the other. I could have lied and said there were 2 people, but I explain the situation and they think that it is fair to tell me that my husband can’t have anything. We only go for leisure stays and pay for everything ourselves but seemingly someone on expenses sees it as fair to pretend there are two people to get some freebies. Not on.
I always book for 2 people. I am never asked upon check-in how many people I am traveling with. Always receive the 2 $10 vouchers per day.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:01 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I always book for 2 people. I am never asked upon check-in how many people I am traveling with. Always receive the 2 $10 vouchers per day.
Not sure where you're traveling but there's quite a few countries where it's standard, often required by law, that you provide identification for the occupants of your hotel room. In some cases they may specifically require a passport copy for non-residents. I don't think this would work in that situation. Unless, I suppose, if it was just applied digitally as a credit and they didn't amend your stay based on the guests at check-in.

Also some countries or properties have higher rates/service charges/taxes for double occupancy, something to look out for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.