Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Protea Hotel Walvis Bay, Namibia {Mastert Thread}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2021, 12:11 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium

Hotel Indongo Walvis Bay

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hotel Indongo Walvis Bay

Walvis Bay, NA

Hotel Indongo Walvis Bay [Master Thread] (3 Photos)

Hotel Indongo Walvis Bay

This is just going to be a stump of a review that I hope someone can add to in the future. During my stay in Namibia I had originally planned on reviewing this hotel, but I ended up leaving it out. This was solely because I enjoyed the nearby Pelican Bay hotel so much.

4CEA6350-D68A-420F-9632-99208EAD3B15.jpeg2FAE4F2A-1498-4601-B55C-B6B27F83C958.jpeg

This hotel is regularly significantly cheaper than the other Marriott option, in the range of 25-40%. I think this is particularly the case on the wekeend.

Name Changed

This hotel was previously called Protea Hotel Walvis Bay, Namibia and was changed to Hotel Indongo Walvis Bay sometime in late 2021. The old name is still being used by many travel providers, so it wil probably be a while until the old name disappears.

Bonvoy Membership

The hotel participated in Bonvoy under the old name which had the Protea brand name (listed as a Marriott brand) and particupates under the new Indongo name which is not (yet?) listed as a Marriott brand.

I will keep a look out if the situation changes and update the review accordingly to keep it current.

Room

I would describe the rooms at this hotel as a comfortable standard with warm, vibrant African colors.

If you are looking for more comfort consider the other Marriott property located directly on the water.

room.jpg

The advantage of this hotel in comparison to the other Marriott property is its location in town. There are shops around, some restaurants fast food outlets, etc. At the Pelican Bay location you have the beautiful views, but beyond some restaurants (the Raft and in around the Walvis Bay Yacht Club), you have no stores for groceries, cosmetics, etc.

Within 1-3 minutes walking from this hotel there are two petrol stations, two supermarkets, a chemist and a liquor store.

The town location also makes it MUCH easier to get a taxi, since they are driving around looking for customers. This never happens at Pelican Bay. This makes it a lot easier and cheaper to get to and from Swakopmund. As a tourist you will probably spend a significant amount of time in Swakop since most of the action is happening there.

I took a couple of pictures of the area and exterior to give potential visitors a taste of the surroundings at the top.

To get to a nice beach you will need to take a taxi or drive. The closest areas with water are the harbour.

Dining

The hotel does offer breakfast, lunch and dinner.

They also recommend other local restaurants such as the Raft (which is right next to the other Marriott hotel), the Spur (a steak restaurant chain) and Lyon des Sable. I tried Raft (good location, comfort food) and Lyon (good food) and can recommend them.

There are also other fastfood options nearby within walking distance.

Hotel Indongo Walvis Bay [Master Thread]

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel Indongo Walvis Bay?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.