Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best way to complain to Bonvoy being Titanium

Best way to complain to Bonvoy being Titanium

Old Dec 28, 20, 7:46 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas, US
Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 230
Best way to complain to Bonvoy being Titanium

Hi all,

Happy holidays!!
Due to certain circumstances I am spending a few days in a Residence Inn and I have a few problems that after talking to the front counter do not seem to fix (I feel the person there is just a young employee to cover during Christmas period).

I checked in and the hotel seems to be under renovation while in the website there was no announcement at all, so:
  • No breakfast due to the renovations, just coffee and pre-packaged muffin - no probs there is a grocery store nearby and I can buy stuff (at the end this is a residence inn and have a kitchen).
  • No elevator - no probs I can walk. The problem is the builders use the stairs too, so they are dusty and with few steps broken with nails popping out, so it represents a kind of hazard.
  • The hallway to get to the room is dusty, there is no paper on the walls or anything else, you clearly see they could be working in the room next to yours. Not a problem, but the hotels under reno I have stayed in, they were done the renovation by floors, so no people were on the floors being worked on and they looked normal.
  • No fitness center - a problem for me. Indeed, they have the reception currently in the former fitness center...
  • No laundry room - this is a problem and one of the reasons I chose a residence inn, I will need to wash few things during my stay, as I packed light for this trip.
My point is; I did not know there were renovations neither the Marriott site is announcing it... I am missing a few amenities I was looking for when I booked a Residence Inn (again, breakfast I can understand it is close due to the pandemic but not the rest without an announcement), otherwise I would have booked the Westin on the city - almost the same price and probably more amenities currently.

What is the best way to complain in my situation? Is there any email or way to do this?
Cheers!!
Circusplaza is offline  
Old Dec 28, 20, 9:05 pm
  #2  
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Posts: 513
Hi Circusplaza,

Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you have come across.

If you could provide your reservation details (your name, confirmation number, hotel name and your contact information) to us via private mail here or by email below, we would like to help forward your feedback to hotel management team.

Best Regards,

Christina Z
Specialist, Social Media
Marriott International

[email protected]
Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II is online now  
Old Dec 28, 20, 9:21 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas, US
Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 230
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II View Post
Hi Circusplaza,

Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you have come across.

If you could provide your reservation details (your name, confirmation number, hotel name and your contact information) to us via private mail here or by email below, we would like to help forward your feedback to hotel management team.

Best Regards,

Christina Z
Specialist, Social Media
Marriott International

[email protected]
Christina - just sent the email.
Thanks
Jiatong likes this.
Circusplaza is offline  
Old Dec 28, 20, 9:29 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Posts: 11,026
When you've been badly Bonv°yed, it is nice to have this helpful resource available.

Bonv°y!
Intl359Widget and Circusplaza like this.
SPN Lifer is offline  
Old Dec 29, 20, 2:31 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seat 2A
Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Posts: 10,468
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II View Post
Hi Circusplaza,

Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you have come across.

If you could provide your reservation details (your name, confirmation number, hotel name and your contact information) to us via private mail here or by email below, we would like to help forward your feedback to hotel management team.

[email protected]
And here lies the problem with Marriott Customer Care. All they do is forward complains to hotels who in turn don't give a damn and just close the file.

The hotel management knows very well about the poor state of their property and how terrible the place is run. What purpose does it serve to forward these matter to the hotel? Corporate needs to deal with such things and compensate the customer.

If I was the OP I'd have checked out early and refused to pay for this stay right there as it sounds absolutely horrible.
skywalkerLAX is offline  
Old Dec 29, 20, 5:23 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 46,537
Wow. This property shouldn't even be open for guests. I would have walked immediately.

Flame on TA is the best way to let other prospective guests know about a problem hotel.
Kacee is offline  
Old Dec 29, 20, 6:10 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta but Washington DC will always be home.
Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Airlines with non-stops to where I'm going
Posts: 1,819
First, your attitude given all of these issues is amazing! Second, my recommendation would be to check out immediately and appeal for either a partial refund or a sizable amount of points for the bait and switch. Then move to a hotel which does have the amenities you desire - even if it is a Hilton or Hyatt property.

Unfortunately, Marriott Customer Care is really for the hotels, not for Bonvoy members. They'll (as Christina noted) forward your complaint to the hotel - which certainly is already aware of the poor state of their hotel. The hotel may or may not even respond before closing the file - but they are not going to suddenly have all of the amenities that are unavailable because of the renovation become available because of your complaint.

I'm not surprised that the website isn't updated, Marriott seems to have no requirement that their hotels inform guests of things going on at the hotels. I stayed in a Courtyard in KY this summer that, like your experience, was under renovation - and not floor by floor - and I never would have stayed there if I had known. Sadly, it was late at night and only a one night stay so I dealt with it.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Circusplaza View Post
Hi all,

Happy holidays!!
Due to certain circumstances I am spending a few days in a Residence Inn and I have a few problems that after talking to the front counter do not seem to fix (I feel the person there is just a young employee to cover during Christmas period).

I checked in and the hotel seems to be under renovation while in the website there was no announcement at all, so:
  • No breakfast due to the renovations, just coffee and pre-packaged muffin - no probs there is a grocery store nearby and I can buy stuff (at the end this is a residence inn and have a kitchen).
  • No elevator - no probs I can walk. The problem is the builders use the stairs too, so they are dusty and with few steps broken with nails popping out, so it represents a kind of hazard.
  • The hallway to get to the room is dusty, there is no paper on the walls or anything else, you clearly see they could be working in the room next to yours. Not a problem, but the hotels under reno I have stayed in, they were done the renovation by floors, so no people were on the floors being worked on and they looked normal.
  • No fitness center - a problem for me. Indeed, they have the reception currently in the former fitness center...
  • No laundry room - this is a problem and one of the reasons I chose a residence inn, I will need to wash few things during my stay, as I packed light for this trip.
My point is; I did not know there were renovations neither the Marriott site is announcing it... I am missing a few amenities I was looking for when I booked a Residence Inn (again, breakfast I can understand it is close due to the pandemic but not the rest without an announcement), otherwise I would have booked the Westin on the city - almost the same price and probably more amenities currently.

What is the best way to complain in my situation? Is there any email or way to do this?
Cheers!!
dcstudent is offline  
Old Dec 29, 20, 6:19 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,757
I think the OP should be transferred to another Bonvoy property in the area (Westin downtown?) at the same rate, perhaps with some credit for a bit of full service laundry at the new hotel.
rdh0924 and cmd320 like this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Dec 29, 20, 6:55 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Haze gray and underway
Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Posts: 1,494
Originally Posted by Circusplaza View Post
Hi all,

Happy holidays!!
Due to certain circumstances I am spending a few days in a Residence Inn and I have a few problems that after talking to the front counter do not seem to fix (I feel the person there is just a young employee to cover during Christmas period).

I checked in and the hotel seems to be under renovation while in the website there was no announcement at all, so:
  • No breakfast due to the renovations, just coffee and pre-packaged muffin - no probs there is a grocery store nearby and I can buy stuff (at the end this is a residence inn and have a kitchen).
  • No elevator - no probs I can walk. The problem is the builders use the stairs too, so they are dusty and with few steps broken with nails popping out, so it represents a kind of hazard.
  • The hallway to get to the room is dusty, there is no paper on the walls or anything else, you clearly see they could be working in the room next to yours. Not a problem, but the hotels under reno I have stayed in, they were done the renovation by floors, so no people were on the floors being worked on and they looked normal.
  • No fitness center - a problem for me. Indeed, they have the reception currently in the former fitness center...
  • No laundry room - this is a problem and one of the reasons I chose a residence inn, I will need to wash few things during my stay, as I packed light for this trip.
My point is; I did not know there were renovations neither the Marriott site is announcing it... I am missing a few amenities I was looking for when I booked a Residence Inn (again, breakfast I can understand it is close due to the pandemic but not the rest without an announcement), otherwise I would have booked the Westin on the city - almost the same price and probably more amenities currently.

What is the best way to complain in my situation? Is there any email or way to do this?
Cheers!!
Staying local?
Dublin_rfk is offline  
Old Dec 29, 20, 11:03 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas, US
Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 230
I am giving the hotel some room to come back (i.e. few items of free laundry, room reallocation at least accesible thru another staircase,...). If not I will move to another property. There is a Hilton closeby that probably is within the same price range and honestly, now I have to pay for the dry cleaning I rather spend the money somewhere else.

if not Westin seems to be a good option too, not in the area however the drive will be 20mins to get where I need to get.

Def a horrible experience here at this Jackson, MS property.
Circusplaza is offline  
Old Dec 30, 20, 12:07 am
  #11  
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Posts: 513
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX View Post
And here lies the problem with Marriott Customer Care. All they do is forward complains to hotels who in turn don't give a damn and just close the file.

The hotel management knows very well about the poor state of their property and how terrible the place is run. What purpose does it serve to forward these matter to the hotel? Corporate needs to deal with such things and compensate the customer.

If I was the OP I'd have checked out early and refused to pay for this stay right there as it sounds absolutely horrible.

Thanks for your feedback.

Please allow me to explain this situation.

As most of the cases happen at hotel, it is best for hotel to investigate the cases and follow up with guest directly.

Guests may contact us if they request further assistance after hotel’s follow up or have not received reply from hotel.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Abbey L
Specialist, Social Media
Marriott International
Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II is online now  
Old Dec 30, 20, 12:37 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,319
Yes, but if the management team of the property is the problem in the first place then they're not going to care or bother to fix the problem once our complaints are forwarded to them. Most likely they're well aware of our complaints and just don't care.

Management teams obviously can act with impunity because Marriott HQ/ customer care doesn't enforce following of brand and program standards. And w covid basically anything goes and can be written off to covid.

What's the point of messaging customer care? There really is none. And Marriott has made clear that individual guests simply don't matter because it has enough properties and corporate accounts to general revenue even if we individual travelers are frustrated.

Ive already switched my company to other brands because it's clear we don't generate enough revenue for anyone at Marriott to care. Maybe if I were the CEO of Apple Marriott would care more but even then...

​​​​​​
​​

QUOTE=Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II;32923017]Thanks for your feedback.

Please allow me to explain this situation.

As most of the cases happen at hotel, it is best for hotel to investigate the cases and follow up with guest directly.

Guests may contact us if they request further assistance after hotel’s follow up or have not received reply from hotel.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Abbey L
Specialist, Social Media
Marriott International[/QUOTE]
SHLTP is offline  
Old Dec 30, 20, 5:53 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,991
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II View Post
Thanks for your feedback.

Please allow me to explain this situation.

As most of the cases happen at hotel, it is best for hotel to investigate the cases and follow up with guest directly.

Guests may contact us if they request further assistance after hotel’s follow up or have not received reply from hotel.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Abbey L
Specialist, Social Media
Marriott International
I am guessing what others are refering to is the problem I have faced many times, specially this year since my dedicated Ambassador no longer exists thus it really is just a back and forth.

Anyone the complaint it sent to the hotel, if the issue is hotel management (or they know about it and don't care) they make some excuse and send the complaint back. If the guest isn't happy with the response the complaint is sent once again to the hotel with the notes from why the guest isnt happy, the hotel can pretty much ignore it and send it back and thus the complaint gets marked closed. If your lucky Marriott CS may throw a few points at you as a goodwill gesture and what the low floor limit that Marriott CS has, but that comes from Marriott not the hotel and the hotel goes on its merry way treating the next guest the same. Marriott holds hotels to very little account, they are the customer to Marriott rather than the guest.
Circusplaza and MSPeconomist like this.
UKTraveller4Fun is offline  
Old Dec 30, 20, 7:18 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas, US
Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 230
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun View Post
I am guessing what others are refering to is the problem I have faced many times, specially this year since my dedicated Ambassador no longer exists thus it really is just a back and forth.

Anyone the complaint it sent to the hotel, if the issue is hotel management (or they know about it and don't care) they make some excuse and send the complaint back. If the guest isn't happy with the response the complaint is sent once again to the hotel with the notes from why the guest isnt happy, the hotel can pretty much ignore it and send it back and thus the complaint gets marked closed. If your lucky Marriott CS may throw a few points at you as a goodwill gesture and what the low floor limit that Marriott CS has, but that comes from Marriott not the hotel and the hotel goes on its merry way treating the next guest the same. Marriott holds hotels to very little account, they are the customer to Marriott rather than the guest.

I believe this is what is happening to me...
Marriott centrally should take accountability of the properties under their name and ensure standards are met and they follow established procedures when acting to situations.

At least this is my thinking, however I am no one for Marriott other than a loyal unsatisfied customer which pretty much won’t come again to Marriott for this type of properties I am now; I rather go to an AirBnB with good rating.
Circusplaza is offline  
Old Dec 30, 20, 7:54 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,991
Originally Posted by Circusplaza View Post
I believe this is what is happening to me...
Marriott centrally should take accountability of the properties under their name and ensure standards are met and they follow established procedures when acting to situations.

At least this is my thinking, however I am no one for Marriott other than a loyal unsatisfied customer which pretty much won’t come again to Marriott for this type of properties I am now; I rather go to an AirBnB with good rating.
I am from the Starwood side originally and the way Marriott deals with complaints and its guests when they have issues is the single biggest reason I am moving away from them bit by bit since the merger. Had issues before this year but thankfully had a great Ambassador who papered over the cracks, but now with the essential discontinuing of the Ambassador program atm they are painfully obvious and frankly I find Marriott CS to be not just a joke but quite insulting at times how they expect us to pay to be treated with such contempt.

Marriott is great, if you find great hotels with great management, if not your pretty much screwed! Unfortunately if someone at Marriott corporate reads this final line, they would stop after reading the 3rd word and pat themselves on the back!
UKTraveller4Fun is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: