Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Fleecing Customer on Rewards Rates

Old Dec 23, 20, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire

I am a Titanium Member (LTP) looking to make a reservation at a St Regis Property for Feb, on Sunday the rates were off peak at 60k per night, after booking my travel they have since gone up there next day to 100k per night without any warning.

I was also looking to use some 50k certs at a nearby property, that has since also gone up to peak pricing all overnight without warning or any communication.

This is so annoying! Is there any thing that can be done about this?

I am Hyatt Globalist and do have other options however Marriott are being so tight, Hyatt have great promos encouraging members to burn their points (25% off) whilst Marriott continues to fleece loyal customers during a difficult time for travel.
Old Dec 23, 20, 10:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Marriott has been offering discounted award rates for stays thru Feb 28, 2021, in a promo which was scheduled to end on Dec 14 :

More Joy for Fewer Points (discounted redemption rates for stays to 28 Feb 2021)

Would this explain what you are seeing ?
Brendan and margarita girl like this.
Old Dec 23, 20, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Why would Marriott notify you of price increases? I don’t quite follow your post, you say rates went up after your booking? If you booked, why would it matter. But to my original point, prices of anything change all the time. It’s a dynamic model.
kennycrudup, CO-PLAT and Smiley90 like this.
Old Dec 23, 20, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
Marriott has been offering discounted award rates for stays thru Feb 28, 2021, in a promo which was scheduled to end on Dec 14 :

More Joy for Fewer Points (discounted redemption rates for stays to 28 Feb 2021)

Would this explain what you are seeing ?

No! - Off Peak to Peak Redemption rates changed overnight without any warning this Sunday / Monday - I am peeved cos I booked travel and selected SNA's to use for this trip as my 75 night choice benefit.

In contrast Hyatt has waived off peak pricing / peak pricing changes and is also offering 25% of all reward nights, (I have redeemed 20 nights in last 6 months), Marriott are trying there utmost to send their loyal customers to other properties brands due to crazy reward price increasing during COVID.

I know which chain I would rather give my business too!

Last edited by navatwal; Dec 23, 20 at 11:19 am
Old Dec 23, 20, 11:47 am

Programs: AA; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-P
Hi Navatwal. Apologies, I'm a bit confused with the details you provided and wondered if you could clarify.

When you say you booked travel, do you mean air or hotel or both? You also say you were looking to make the hotel reservation at 60k per night, so did you actually make the reservation at 60k or did you mean that you intended to make a reservation but waiting a day resulted in a jump to 100k? If you actually did book the hotel at 60k per night and have a confirmation of such, it should be honored.

As frustrating as price fluctuations are, it does happen with hotels just as it does airfare.
Old Dec 23, 20, 11:50 am

Oh good, another Iím going to hyatt thread.

If St Regis is a cat 8. At best, off peak pointsaver is 65k so there must have been a glitch or you are recalling incorrectly.

Last edited by myperks; Dec 23, 20 at 12:54 pm Reason: Removed park city reference. Not sure where I got that.
Old Dec 23, 20, 11:51 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by navatwal View Post
Off Peak to Peak Redemption rates changed overnight without any warning
Seems it's exactly what @Oxon Flyer was saying, Marriott was offering Off-Peak redemption rates on behalf of hotels during the promo period.
What you're seeing is rates reverting back. The hotels adjust peak dates based on historic data.

Should have booked first since redemptions are cancellable and points get credited back to your acc instantly when you do.
Happy, margarita girl and ExArkie like this.
Old Dec 23, 20, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Just stick with Hyatt - Marriott isn't worth the hassle. Plus Hyatt actually honors its written benefits (and has been enhancing them as of late too).
Tanic, Happy, houstr8male and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 20, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miloworld View Post
Seems it's exactly what @Oxon Flyer was saying, Marriott was offering Off-Peak redemption rates on behalf of hotels during the promo period.
What you're seeing is rates reverting back. The hotels adjust peak dates based on historic data.

Should have booked first since redemptions are cancellable and points get credited back to your acc instantly when you do.
This is in Mexico St Regis Punta Mita off peak x 5 nights were 280k on 12/20 as of 12/21 it is now 400k, after booking flights and selecting SNA 75n choice benefit the redemption rises unexpectedly, what a piss take!
Old Dec 23, 20, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Silver, Marriott Platinum, TK Gold
As I said in the other thred I'm seeing the same things. Months that had 10 days off-peak are now having one day off-peak if any (and I'm talking about October-November 2021 - so nothing to do with the promo).

Over this weekend it seems that there was a lot of bumping off-peak to regular, and regular to peak.
Old Dec 23, 20, 12:58 pm

This is in Mexico St Regis Punta Mita off peak x 5 nights were 280k on 12/20 as of 12/21 it is now 400k, after booking flights and selecting SNA 75n choice benefit the redemption rises unexpectedly, what a piss take!
how is this different than airlines price fluctuations? You book hotel and then go book flights and prices go up significantly whether itís revenue or awards.
Or any price fluctuations for that matter.

book first decide later should be the motto. You snooze you lose.

why are you not booking Hyatt as a globalist?
Old Dec 23, 20, 1:07 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
It sounds like you didn't lock it in and just made a points advance reservation. The change Marriott made to points advance which let points fluctuate on existing reservations really is the biggest devaluation Marriott has made in a while. I try to avoid making these reservations at all and only ones I can lock in with a points deduction.
Happy and Eagle_traveler like this.
Old Dec 23, 20, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
It sounds like you didn't lock it in and just made a points advance reservation. The change Marriott made to points advance which let points fluctuate on existing reservations really is the biggest devaluation Marriott has made in a while. I try to avoid making these reservations at all and only ones I can lock in with a points deduction.
sounds like the OP was rate browsing and saw 280k and didnít book. Went to book flights and select SNAs first and came back to book hotel a day or two later and the rates went up. Painful as it is, thatís the game.

If op made a reservation and a glitch made it as if it was a points advance reservation and had enough points to cover the reserved pricing at the time of the 280k pricing, Marriott should made it right.
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by myperks; Dec 23, 20 at 1:26 pm
Old Dec 23, 20, 1:35 pm

Programs: Airline Kettle, SPG, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
To me, this is one of the most useless "benefits" of the program. I get that if you don't have the points to book a room you shouldn't necessarily be able to lock in a low redemption rate, but if that's the company position then why offer the points advance benefit at all? It isn't as if you're guaranteed a room by doing that, which would actually be of some use even if the points required change.
Happy and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Dec 23, 20, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by DallasEsq View Post
To me, this is one of the most useless "benefits" of the program. I get that if you don't have the points to book a room you shouldn't necessarily be able to lock in a low redemption rate, but if that's the company position then why offer the points advance benefit at all? It isn't as if you're guaranteed a room by doing that, which would actually be of some use even if the points required change.
should have been renamed ďAvailability AdvanceĒ
DallasEsq likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: