Amex Marriott Bonvoy Card Survey

Old Dec 16, 20, 8:15 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC
Amex Marriott Bonvoy Card Survey

I originally posted this in the Amex card forum, but I think more will see this on the Marriott forum, so I'm reposting.

I just completed an online Amex survey of Marriott Bonvoy cardholders. I received an email from Amex with a link to the survey and even got a $20.00 iTunes gift card for participating.
The survey asked many questions about desired perks and how important they are to you for a range of Marriott cards including Boundless and Brilliant. For the Brilliant card, it specified that the card options shown would be a replacement for the existing Brilliant card. It asked you to choose among a number of cards you might sign up for based on the perks of each card as well as AF and point bonus after spending on the card.

It was very revealing about the potential future of Amex Marriott cards and it appears that Platinum membership is very much in the mix as a standard feature on upcoming cards. However, it appears there is a likely trade-off between getting Platinum membership or a free night award. With Platinum membership as a standard benefit, you would likely not get an FNA (but not in all cases), but would only get it after $50,000 annual spend on the card. Other interesting benefits offered were 50% off a second room reservation and one option was even a second room free (one-time use only). FNAs options were either unrestricted (could be used at any Marriott property as well as Marriott's Homes & Villas) or any Marriott property up to 80,000 points. There was also various point earning options that included 4 points for groceries, 4 points for all purchases, but I can't remember them all. Also included as standard on one option of the Brilliant card was 5 suite upgrade awards annually, but another option had a spending requirement of $50k on the card to receive it. The AF for the Briiliant cards ranged from $450 to $750, but the $650 card had an amazing array of benefits including (IIRC) free Platinum status, 5 free upgrade awards annually, FNA at any Marriott without point limit, second room free (one-time only) or 50% off (I'm not sure which it was), $300 statement credit, 5,000 points gift per stay, Priority Pass (??) and on and on.

I'm sure I've forgotten or misremembered some of the other benefits, but I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else took the survey and what people's thoughts are about these various Brilliant replacement card options.
Nevsky likes this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 8:22 pm
formerly damnyourefine

Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
Oh boy.. the potential devaluation of the BonVoy program if Platinum is obtainable with holding a CC.

I suppose it won’t matter much until elite benefits are no longer internally suspended.
Old Dec 16, 20, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
They would be wise to continue to look into their options with the card....

I think the $450 AF does demand more than 15 Elite Qualifying Nights.... Perhaps giving the full 25 nights for Gold would be awesome and perhaps a nice compromise.... Maybe even gold with 30 nights built in, still requiring 20 nights paid stay.

The $300 credit is awesome. I hope they keep it, it is so easy to use, and helps feel compelling. I think they should eliminate Priority Pass, but instead offer 1-2 nights free no point limits. Honestly, with 1 or 2 nights free, people are going to stay where they can for longer periods of time anyways.

Also, more earning redemption rates would be better too.
lsquare and anteater like this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 9:13 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
What I found most interesting was the distinct possibility that with certain credit cards, the much-loathed resort fees might be waived. That alone would be a reason for me to upgrade my card.
SPN Lifer, 360guy, lsquare and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC
I had planned to apply for the Amex Bonvoy Business Card (I already have the Brilliant) so I can get 30 nights through cards only, but after taking the survey, I think I'd better wait to see what the replacement card for the Brilliant will be, as it will probably offer Platinum status (and a slew of other benefits) without having to get 50 nights. Even if Marriott winds up offering Platinum status with the card, it still falls short of Hilton's offering of top-tier status with the Aspire Card. But, in the long run, this may be the start of Platinum becoming the new Gold.
Old Dec 16, 20, 10:03 pm

I did the survey. I like the Brilliant the way it is. Yes it would be great to get a free 80k night (or one with no point limit) instead of 50k, but the fee was higher or required $50k spend to get the night. They did present one card option that looked better all around. To me the main problem with the current Brilliant is 2x on everyday purchases.
Old Dec 16, 20, 10:04 pm

Programs: AC 25K, BA Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe View Post
I had planned to apply for the Amex Bonvoy Business Card (I already have the Brilliant) so I can get 30 nights through cards only, but after taking the survey, I think I'd better wait to see what the replacement card for the Brilliant will be.
I think you're reading too much into this. AMEX and other issuers run these kinds of surveys all the time, and it's not necessarily indicative that they plan to replace or change the product in the end, and even if they do, such benefits end up being a negotiation between AMEX and the partner program and could take a long time to be put in place.
SPN Lifer and JackE like this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
I think you're reading too much into this. AMEX and other issuers run these kinds of surveys all the time, and it's not necessarily indicative that they plan to replace or change the product in the end, and even if they do, such benefits end up being a negotiation between AMEX and the partner program and could take a long time to be put in place.
I understand that these are negotiated between Amex and Marriott, but Amex wouldn't be putting this out without Marriott's approval. Also, it did state that all the different options for the Brilliant card would be replacements for that card, but they did not state the same for the other cards. I also understand that the process takes time and the final product may not exactly reflect what we saw in the survey, and I'm OK with waiting it out. I think anyone in business knows that this is how product planning works. So, I don't think I'm reading much into it other than to say that it looks like these benefits are being planned and to ask what others think about them. If you have any thoughts on the benefits, please share them, if you like.
clarkef likes this.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Dec 16, 20 at 11:27 pm
Old Dec 16, 20, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
I don't think I'm reading much into it other than to say that it looks like these benefits are being planned and to ask what others think about it.
It looks like these benefits are being considered. Big difference.
Kacee, TGLoyalty and nexusCFX like this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 11:29 pm

I understand that these are negotiated between Amex and Marriott, but Amex wouldn't be putting this out without Marriott's approval. Also, it did state that all the different options for the Brilliant card would be replacements for that card, but they did not state the same for the other cards. So, I don't think I'm reading much into it other than to say that it looks like these benefits are being planned and to ask what others think about them. If you have any thoughts on the benefits, please share them, if you like.
I'm just telling you they've run this same sort of thing many times over many years for many cards that ultimately didn't change, or changed in ways that had very little to do with the surveys. Chase has done the same.

In particular, the surveys for the airline cards always ask if you'd be more likely to sign up or pay this fee, etc etc if the card gave you the entry level status with said airline. It never materializes because there is no intent of ever giving that away regardless of the survey responses. It's a market research tool to figure out what bits and pieces consumers find most valuable, and what their threshold of "value" is to pay a given AF and keep paying it instead of closing or downgrading.

In fact, it's just as useful as a tool to figure out what you can take away from a card without losing customers as it is a tool to figure out how you can gain customers.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
It looks like these benefits are being considered. Big difference.
I was also going to say this. The "planned" part is the reading too much into it. This kind of market research is so far removed from any plans to make concrete changes to product offerings.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 20, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

I'm just telling you they've run this same sort of thing many times over many years for many cards that ultimately didn't change, or changed in ways that had very little to do with the surveys. Chase has done the same.

In particular, the surveys for the airline cards always ask if you'd be more likely to sign up or pay this fee, etc etc if the card gave you the entry level status with said airline. It never materializes because there is no intent of ever giving that away regardless of the survey responses. It's a market research tool to figure out what bits and pieces consumers find most valuable, and what their threshold of "value" is to pay a given AF and keep paying it instead of closing or downgrading.

In fact, it's just as useful as a tool to figure out what you can take away from a card without losing customers as it is a tool to figure out how you can gain customers.

I was also going to say this. The "planned" part is the reading too much into it that I was pointing out. This kind of market research is so far removed from any plans to make concrete changes to product offerings.
I've worked in marketing, I understand how this kind of thing works. Many of the proposed benefits are interesting, whether they get in the final product is another matter. Thanks for the background story, I got it, but that's not what my post is about. I thought it might be an opportunity to discuss some of the proposed benefits and what we think of them, whether "planned" or "considered," and their value.

I was also going to say this. The "planned" part is the reading too much into it that I was pointing out. This kind of market research is so far removed from any plans to make concrete changes to product offerings.
OK, so during product planning, market research is conducted and various benefits are considered. Does that make you happy? I think you're reading a little too much into my post.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Dec 16, 20 at 11:53 pm
Old Dec 17, 20, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfabar1 View Post
They would be wise to continue to look into their options with the card....

I think the $450 AF does demand more than 15 Elite Qualifying Nights.... Perhaps giving the full 25 nights for Gold would be awesome and perhaps a nice compromise.... Maybe even gold with 30 nights built in, still requiring 20 nights paid stay.

The $300 credit is awesome. I hope they keep it, it is so easy to use, and helps feel compelling. I think they should eliminate Priority Pass, but instead offer 1-2 nights free no point limits. Honestly, with 1 or 2 nights free, people are going to stay where they can for longer periods of time anyways.

Also, more earning redemption rates would be better too.
Isn't it more like it that getting 15 EQN just by holding the basic card is way too generous?

The Hyatt Visa from Chase gives you 5 (!!) EQN.
Old Dec 17, 20, 12:51 am

I think you're reading a little too much into my post.
I had planned to apply for the Amex Bonvoy Business Card (I already have the Brilliant) so I can get 30 nights through cards only, but after taking the survey, I think I'd better wait to see what the replacement card for the Brilliant will be, as it will probably offer Platinum status (and a slew of other benefits) without having to get 50 nights.

The only reason I replied to begin with was because there's probably nothing imminent here that is going to make the extra 15EQN not worth having. I think I'm reading exactly what's being posted. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Dec 17, 20, 12:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW Leaders Club, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP Gold 75K
As I remember, one point that was on a couple of the screens, but was not mentioned too often was 3X points for regular spend, and, as I remember had a higher fee, which detracted from the benefit. This would not necessarily affect my card retention, but it might affect my spend, especially with another targeted bonus. The SPG cards used to be my main cards, but not anymore.

The $50,000 spend for a free night might with Platinum status cause me to drop the card, as I am lifetime Titanium and am not going to spend $50,000 at 2x or even 3x given the other cards I have with full mileage value points and double at that. My wife might want it though. In fact, the current FNA on her card is not that useful to us as she is just gold and prefers to get my benefits when we travel together.

In fact, one thing that the survey might have missed is that I have both the Bonvoy and the Brilliant (as well as the Ritz Carlton). It did ask at the end what my current status was, as that is key to understanding my answers. Some benefits that might be useful to many are of little use to me as a Titanium

Last edited by Nevsky; Dec 17, 20 at 12:57 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 17, 20, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Nevsky View Post
As I remember, one point that was on a couple of the screens, but was not mentioned too often was 3X points for regular spend, and, as I remember had a higher fee, which detracted from the benefit. This would not necessarily affect my card retention, but it might affect my spend, especially with another targeted bonus. The SPG cards used to be my main cards, but not anymore.
This is also true for me. I put nothing on this card except for Marriott spend and even then it's a toss-up between it and something 3x travel like AMEX Green or CSR. Nothing AMEX adds in terms of perks is going to drive any additional spend from me, unless it's a threshold I can hit easily by a bit of tax overpaying or paying rent. It would need to be a bump in the base earn to get me using it the way I used my SPG card.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: