Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott - 2021 Elite Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2021, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
Oh? I didn't hear anything about it. I guess there's precedent then.
It frankly made no sense what they did early 2020. It was a frantic move to respond locally to the situation.

I would agree that for 2021 we'll likely see a uniform adjustment and no regional solutions.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
When the virus first appeared, Marriott quickly made some modifications in early 2020 for residents of China to help them deal with the pandemic. I tried to find the relevant thread but had no luck. Maybe someone else can.
Originally Posted by lsquare
Oh? I didn't hear anything about it. I guess there's precedent then.
Here are couple FT threads:
Marriott membership extension - FlyerTalk Forums
Ideal Bonvoy status qualification for 2021 - Page 5 - FlyerTalk Forums

This Loyaltylobby Feb 22 2020 article had all the details including PDF for MR Mainland China members
Marriott Bonvoy Announces Elite Status & Points Expiry Extension For Greater China Members - LoyaltyLobby
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
It frankly made no sense what they did early 2020. It was a frantic move to respond locally to the situation.
Although back in Jan/Feb 2020 there was no certainty on what the overall impact would have been on the pandemic.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:24 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Originally Posted by mileageking
Although back in Jan/Feb 2020 there was no certainty on what the overall impact would have been on the pandemic.
Indeed, but loyalty programs are (at least in theory) about brining peace of mind and trust, which are more relevant in Eastern than Western world. Also uniform actions matter - basically all programs, airline and hotel ones in Greater China region issued them in the early days.

In spring I kept a spreadsheet following what airlines and hotels are doing with booking policy changes and loyalty extensions. In hotel world, Hilton and Hyatt were most active first responders.

In 2020: Accor offered 1 year status extension only to Chinese, others just got 50% reduction in requirements (done as 50% points/nights being credited to the account). IHG gave Ambassador extension 3 months longer to Chinese vs the rest of the world. Marriott extended Chinese first and globally was the very last one to announce a policy change. Marriott took basically the weakest offer (of Accor) and made it a bit worse - while Accor gave 50% status boost (of nights/points) and offered all nights in Q3/Q4 2020 to count double - also in 2021, then Marriott just gave that 50% boost. Finally they still gave that year extra extension.

I assume that in 2021 Marriott will be last one to announce anything after Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Accor, Radisson, Best Western, Wyndham etc will be all announced what they do.

If feels like that Marriott, biggest of chains, knows well that they have the biggest footprint and thus the least motivated to offer anything. Smaller ones are thus finding their strength not in size, but better service or loyalty approach.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Well that’s why I’m staying at the Hyatt tonight for my first ever stay after joining World of Hyatt this week. If / When Marriott announces something, I’ll mix and match but until then, no more spending on Marriott.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:54 pm

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in this thread......but all the hotels I stay at normally are half price right now. That includes paying extra for the 5k point package. How in the world are most people going to reach 20k spend for ambassador with hotels charging half prices. I almost wanted to ask the front desk agent today if they could charge my company credit card with a increased date. I hope that we hear something middle to later this week.
mileageking likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Marriott15
Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in this thread......but all the hotels I stay at normally are half price right now. That includes paying extra for the 5k point package. How in the world are most people going to reach 20k spend for ambassador with hotels charging half prices. I almost wanted to ask the front desk agent today if they could charge my company credit card with a increased date. I hope that we hear something middle to later this week.
Good point. Maybe they expect business travel to pick up and rates to double in Q4 this year compared to Q4 last year? Or maybe they will maintain rates at current level and expect AMB to double down on nights to hit $20k? Would love to know their strategy.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
The personal ambassador that supposedly the biggest benefit of ambassador tier currently gone.

At current stage $20k spending for no ambassador tier is way overpriced.

Maybe the tier name could be changed to Your24 member instead🤣
innerspace, MSPeconomist and xexs like this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:30 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by kaizen7
The personal ambassador that supposedly the biggest benefit of ambassador tier currently gone.

At current stage $20k spending for no ambassador tier is way overpriced.

Maybe the tier name could be changed to Your24 member instead🤣
Ambassador Elite with Ambassadors is just Titanium, which is no more than Platinum with more bonus points, UA Silver and RC suite eligibility.

Marriott should do us all a favor by cutting the crap and renaming it Titanium until/if they ever reintroduce the service... although it would literally kill the DYKWIAs out there who thrive on their Ambassador Eliteship. That’s a sight I’d pay to see!

khabah
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by khabah
Ambassador Elite with Ambassadors is just Titanium, which is no more than Platinum with more bonus points, UA Silver and RC suite eligibility.
You meant to say Ambassador Elite with NO Ambassadors is just Titanium?

Marriott should do us all a favor by cutting the crap and renaming it Titanium until/if they ever reintroduce the service... although it would literally kill the DYKWIAs out there who thrive on their Ambassador Eliteship. That’s a sight I’d pay to see!

khabah
I think you will find most Amb like to keep a low profile and don't exhibit DYKWIA attitude. There is still Your24 benefit which I must say I have used a lot. But $20k requirement is a joke.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:54 am

edited
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver

I think you will find most Amb like to keep a low profile and don't exhibit DYKWIA attitude. There is still Your24 benefit which I must say I have used a lot. But $20k requirement is a joke.
Agree on the $20k requirements. Bonvoy should suspend that part until they reintroduce the so called personal ambassador.

Even you who used Your24 alot stil think its not worth the $20k requirements.
mileageking likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Marriott15
Honestly it isn’t that hard. I feel like the 100 nights is the harder achievement.

The trick to spend is not just on the rooms. I am of an age where I may or may not have spent a week at the W in Barcelona racking up poolside drinks and food on my room. This may or may not have contributed to almost a quarter of my 20k...

Generally however, as I am not staying at the JW or RC on every stay, get a drink at the bar before you head out. If you’re a glutton for punishment get some dry cleaning done. And if you happen to travel at all for work, on occasion events may be held at a Marriott, if so you’re in luck for expenses.

If you’re trying to get Amb on personal stays only, unless you stay at the JW or RC by default, it’ll take some extra curricular spend such as the above.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by khabah
Ambassador Elite with [no] Ambassadors is just Titanium, which is no more than Platinum with more bonus points, UA Silver and RC suite eligibility.

Marriott should do us all a favor by cutting the crap and renaming it Titanium until/if they ever reintroduce the service... although it would literally kill the DYKWIAs out there who thrive on their Ambassador Eliteship.

DYKWIA is more common with Tits.

Even though I will never spend $20K, I am happy with the current Marriott Bonv°y Elite requirements — though I wouldn't turn down more free nights.
kaizen7 and jjLDNY like this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
DYKWIA is more common with Tits.
Hahaha. Subtle. Hear! Hear!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.