Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Do you spend $375 to $436 for Marriott hotel rooms often?

Old Nov 22, 20, 5:34 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT

I was just looking at the recent buy Marriott Bonvoy Points with a 60% bonus promotion. And I was contemplating on buying a few as I have lots of cash this year as I haven’t been travelling using my points. (Weird but another topic of discussion is how much I am not spending and cash I am saving now by not travelling with my free points… but I will switch back to topic at hand)

That works out to 0.78 cents per point. Many of the Marriott properties that I stay at are Category 6 or 7 hotels where I often use my points, and I often use the points for 5 nights to get 5th night free. So to do the math that works out to

4 x 60 = 240k ÷ 5 nights at .78 cpp is $375

or 4 x 70 = 280k ÷ 5 nights at .78 cpp is $436

That got me thinking, do I really spend about $400 a night for a hotel room. Wow. I like luxury hotel stays as much as the next guy, but I cannot believe how much I am willing to pay for a hotel room. I remember when I was in my 30’s I would splurge and maybe consider a $200 hotel room to experience a luxurious vacation. Now that I am older, do I really value my hotel nights at $400.

Anyhow, once I got thinking about the price of the points, I am now sitting on the fence trying to decide if I should buy more Marriott points or not.
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Nov 22, 20, 5:42 pm
formerly damnyourefine

Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
I’d also take into account elite status and relationships with hotel management.

I have almost always booked base rooms, especially with points, and usually end up with suites, even Luxury Suites. At destination hotels these base rooms at 40-60k per night are a great value when they are going for $1k per night.

It all depends on the end value you can obtain with the points.
Old Nov 22, 20, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by smilee View Post
I was just looking at the recent buy Marriott Bonvoy Points with a 60% bonus promotion. And I was contemplating on buying a few as I have lots of cash this year as I haven’t been travelling using my points. (Weird but another topic of discussion is how much I am not spending and cash I am saving now by not travelling with my free points… but I will switch back to topic at hand)

That works out to 0.78 cents per point. Many of the Marriott properties that I stay at are Category 6 or 7 hotels where I often use my points, and I often use the points for 5 nights to get 5th night free. So to do the math that works out to

4 x 60 = 240k ÷ 5 nights at .78 cpp is $375

or 4 x 70 = 280k ÷ 5 nights at .78 cpp is $436

That got me thinking, do I really spend about $400 a night for a hotel room. Wow. I like luxury hotel stays as much as the next guy, but I cannot believe how much I am willing to pay for a hotel room. I remember when I was in my 30’s I would splurge and maybe consider a $200 hotel room to experience a luxurious vacation. Now that I am older, do I really value my hotel nights at $400.

Anyhow, once I got thinking about the price of the points, I am now sitting on the fence trying to decide if I should buy more Marriott points or not.

Pre Covid, I travelled for work about 140 nights per year. I tend to redeem points for any personal travel to avoid having to pay anything out of pocket. However, several of my personal stays have been at the Ritz New Orleans between Christmas & New Years, the JW Essex House during Thanksgiving, La Concha in February and the Westin Annapolis during Commissioning Week. Each of these stays were during high demand with expensive room rates. Most likely, these rooms cost $400 per night but I don’t care because I got what I wanted by using points.
Dublin_rfk and Kevin Weldon like this.
Old Nov 22, 20, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
In normal times it's worth it - not anymore w covid, price decreases and across the board reductions in benefits.

Points also helpful if you have kids and want that 3rd person free.

Worse, are the constant devaluations. I never minded them particularly under Starwood as one could always seem to redeem. But under Marriott and low high etx it is too complicated and time consuming for my little brain to figure out.

I wouldn't buy
Old Nov 22, 20, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by andrewstahl View Post
[ S]everal of my personal stays have been at . . . the Westin Annapolis during Commissioning Week. Each of these stays were during high demand with expensive room rates. Most likely, these rooms cost $400 per night but I don’t care because I got what I wanted by using points.
Beat Army, Sir! 🇺🇲 ⚓

I have way too many points — mostly from Chase Marriott Bonv°y Visa (primary) spend, not stays.

I try to save them for good values, but I am happy with a couple of nights worth $300 each, such as the L.A. Sheraton Grand.
andrewstahl and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Nov 22, 20, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Hmmm, let's see. If I look at the 2,000 nights I've spent at Marriott and SPG over the last 20 years, count up those where I spent over $375 a night, divide that my the total number of nights, I get the rate at which I spend over $375 a night.

Which is zero.

Buying points is rarely worth the cost. Those who do the "math" to show that it's worth it have to ask the same question - yes, if you are replacing regular $4-500 cash stays out of your own pocket, it might be. Does anyone do that? (Especially true with a 2M+ balance)
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Nov 22, 20, 8:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I personally don’t see it that way.

sure I typically wouldn’t spend more than $250-300 USD per night for a “typical” hotel room (e.g., courtyard, Marriott, Sheraton, or Renaissance) but I use points for “inspirational” properties.

For example I have redeemed points for St Regis Maldives, St Regis New York, Ritz Carlton Kyoto.

Lets take RC Kyoto as an example, a typical night in the base room would cost $1200-2000 USD depending on the season. Points? 85K. Would I have spent $650 USD cash per night instead for a hotel of this caliber? Yes. I would. Point redemption made me just do that.

However, I wouldn’t spend $600 or even $400 USD per night on a “typical nice hotel”.

So it’s not really a fair comparison when you redeem points at very high end properties while thinking, but I wouldn’t pay over $300 anyway!

Point redemption allows me to experience hotels that otherwise would be out of my reach (well, my rational reach)
Old Nov 22, 20, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Gold, WN A-List, Hiltn Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Before March 6, 2020 it was pretty common for me to spend $375 or more on a hotel room. Traveling frequently to DC, NYC, Chicago, Tokyo, and Singapore makes that relatively easy.

I would not buy points right now, no matter how good the value. But I am fairly conservative with my money and I would consider buying points right now closer to gambling than investing. There are too many unknowns. There are also some good bargains on cash rates to be had if you are even a little bit flexible with travel plans.
Old Nov 22, 20, 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
The most I spend is $600 - $700/night. I do this 1 - 2 weeks per year. Usually $200 - $250.
Old Nov 23, 20, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Some many hotel points and no where to use them
(where I would like to go)
Old Nov 23, 20, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Great thread.

There's lots of value in buying Marriott points for conversion to certain airline miles. There is also reasonable value sometimes from fifth night free stays. I tend towards the bargains at the low award category end, but I can also see where somebody taking a once-in-a-lifetime trip to a super high-end hotel might want to buy points.

What I think is a joke is those people who do MS for points or have a big balance, then say that they received "$400 in value" when they would have never actually paid that...
Old Nov 23, 20, 5:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
I would only buy points if I am short of a good value redemption that I am doing now, not a future one.

When you do the math, also consider that a stay paid with cash earns points. As Titanium I get 17.5 points per $, which at the same 0.78 cents per point metric you are using is over 13% “rebate” in the form of earned points.
Old Nov 23, 20, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I do relate this. It wasn't so long ago I cringed paying over $250/night. Now I'll regularly go over $500 in quite a few locations, without a second thought. It's really kind of insane when I think about it.
Old Nov 23, 20, 7:43 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I do relate this. It wasn't so long ago I cringed paying over $250/night. Now I'll regularly go over $500 in quite a few locations, without a second thought. It's really kind of insane when I think about it.
Yup same here, $500 is the new $250. If it's at all a busy period in a major city or popular vacation spot you're just not going to get quality lodging for much less than this price point unless you book months and months in advance or find a BRG etc.
Kevin Weldon likes this.
Old Nov 23, 20, 10:05 am

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Tit/LT Gold, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Enterprise Gold, UA*S, Accor Gold, Hz 5*
I tend to find that when the rates are high the experience is bad (at typical properties, not aspirational properties).

​​​​I don't want to stay in full hotels or resorts. If I go when rates are low, I've tended to get better upgrades and a better overall experience. So for me I'd say less than 10% of my nights are higher than 200 USD.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: