Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How long to get points back or free night certificate?

Old Nov 18, 20, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott

I could not find in a search the answer, I thought it would have been in a sticky, but with the way things are changing so often and so fast, I can understand.
How long after you cancel a points reservation, does it take for the points to go back into your available account balance?
How long after you cancel a Free Night Certificate reservation, does it take for the certificate or points to go back into your available balance?
Does a FN stay or points stay count as a stay during this COVID time?
Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 20, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Lightbulb

So the points are automatically returned immediately to the ACCT upon Cancellation (as long as it was before stated CXL policy)

The certificates are ALSO supposed to do the same, and automatically release from reservation upon Cancellation
Depending on how close the date of arrival is, sometimes they can get stuck on the reservation and wont automatically go back into the member account.
A loyalty member needs to go in an manually release it back to the account if that happens.

If you cancelled a redemption (or FNA Cert) and they aren't showing - call in and ask to speak with someone in Loyalty.
They'll be able to look into it and see why they're being held up.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by ann.gMARRemp; Nov 18, 20 at 10:38 am
Old Nov 18, 20, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler View Post
I could not find in a search the answer, I thought it would have been in a sticky, but with the way things are changing so often and so fast, I can understand.
How long after you cancel a points reservation, does it take for the points to go back into your available account balance?
How long after you cancel a Free Night Certificate reservation, does it take for the certificate or points to go back into your available balance?
Does a FN stay or points stay count as a stay during this COVID time?
Thanks.
If you want your free night cert back immediately, you need to detach it from the reservation before cancelling it. See the wiki in this thread to find out how.

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate Discussion Thread

Points will be returned immediately.
Old Nov 18, 20, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC 25K, BA Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
If you want your free night cert back immediately, you need to detach it from the reservation before cancelling it. See the wiki in this thread to find out how.

Marriott Branded Credit Cards Free Night Certificate Discussion Thread

Points will be returned immediately.
I cancelled a booking yesterday with 50K certs attached and they came back immediately. I know there can be issues but IME it behaves pretty well now and I wouldn't say you need to detach before cancel. I guess if you want a rule that will definitely keep you off the phone with Marriott it's a good rule though
Old Jan 27, 21, 7:49 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
FYI, Tried to follow the work around to detach the certificate and switch to points -- and of course, my point balance was charged immediately but my certs have not been returned.

Sigh, the work around was just as bad as the original problem for me. So now to call Marriott to get the certs reinstated.
Old Jan 27, 21, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
FYI, Tried to follow the work around to detach the certificate and switch to points -- and of course, my point balance was charged immediately but my certs have not been returned.

Sigh, the work around was just as bad as the original problem for me. So now to call Marriott to get the certs reinstated.
That's unfortunate. I've never seen that happen before.
Old Jan 27, 21, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
That's unfortunate. I've never seen that happen before.
I get to be the first! Calling Marriott Bonvoy at 800-399-4229 it was resolved pretty quickly, but still frustrating that this problem exists. I guess next time I'll just cancel it directly and hope the cert goes back.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 27, 21, 9:09 am

I've used the Marriott twitter team to fix the problem in the past. They've always resolved the issue within a couple hours. A good alternative to spending time on the phone.
Old Mar 10, 21, 9:44 am

Well, looks like my certs or my account is cursed, because I just cancelled two award reservations and again, certs did not return to my account. I guess I'll try the twitter team rather than calling this time. But annoying that they can't just fix the system so the award returns.
Old Mar 10, 21, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
I guess I'll try the twitter team rather than calling this time.
Does Marriott Bonv°y also have a Facebook Messenger account? If so, is it responsive?
Old Mar 10, 21, 3:44 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Yes and yes (and Twitter). We're constantly monitoring social spaces. You can message any of the brands on their official Facebook pages, or Marriott Bonvoy directly on Facebook. Twitter is @marriottBonvoyAssist (or any of the official brand pages on Twitter). All paths take you to the same place in the same relative amount of time; so feel free to choose your adventure.
Old Mar 10, 21, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
That is good, because I didn't want to have to open a Twitter account solely to be prepared if I needed to seek special assistance from Marriott Bonv°y, which I have never required during over two decades as a Marriott guest.

Beaucoup Bonv°y!
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 21, 8:21 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Well, looks like my certs or my account is cursed, because I just cancelled two award reservations and again, certs did not return to my account. I guess I'll try the twitter team rather than calling this time. But annoying that they can't just fix the system so the award returns.
You're not alone. If I attach more than one free night certificate to a reservation and later cancel, I always have to call in to get them returned. They have never been automatically returned, no matter how many days I've waited for it to happen.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: