Search

Travel with Peace of Mind

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Travel with Peace of Mind

Hello,
And sorry as I'm sure the answer exists somewhere on the forum but I can't find it.
Reading Marriott "Travel with Peace of Mind" T&Cs it sounds like non refundable rate remain non refundable (cf quote below)?
So what's the point of it?
Thanks!
  • For guests with reservations made on or after July 6, 2020, for arrival dates through December 30, 2020, we will allow the reservation to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before the scheduled arrival date. Reservations with pre-paid rates and other limited exclusions* will be subject to the rate offer rules communicated at the time of reservation. Please note that changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Unlike Hilton and Hyatt, Marriott is allowing properties to do whatever they like with cancel policies. The "travel with peace of mind" stuff is complete marketing bs.

Vote with your wallet.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Unlike Hilton and Hyatt, Marriott is allowing properties to do whatever they like with cancel policies. The "travel with peace of mind" stuff is complete marketing bs.

Vote with your wallet.
Agreed. I used to split purchases between Marriott/Hilton/Independent. I had a dreadful experience with a Courtyard over the summer that had me leaning toward doing more business with Hilton. I have an upcoming stay and my preferred hotel was a Marriott hotel part of the Autograph collection, but reading the T&C, the rate was not refundable, nor were any of the Marriott properties, whereas every Hilton rate was refundable. I found an equally nice Hilton property at a refundable rate, so it would have been stupid not to book it. Add in the program changes that will allow me to reach Hilton Gold and perhaps Diamond, and I don't see any Marriott stays in my future other than to use up my points.

Vote with your wallet. I did!
Old Oct 30, 2020, 5:41 am

For the most impact, you'll vote with your wallet and let the Marriott property know that you wanted to stay with them but didn't because their reservations policies were too restrictive. I'm afraid that most hotels won't know they're losing business because of this issue unless people take the time to tell them.

That said, It's not the (potential) guest's job to act as an unpaid consultant to any hotel. I personally wouldn't contact any hotel about this issue unless I really wanted to stay there. I also might do it if I had a long history as a frequent guest of that property and therefore already knew some of the management team.
SPN Lifer, Jon Maiman and hedoman like this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:27 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond

Vote with your wallet.
Completely agree! As long as there are fine prints that allow a nonrefundable reservation to remain nonrefundable, there is absolutely no "peace" in that.

LAX
SPN Lifer and JJuice like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:29 am

So Marriott stopped allowing refunds for non-refundable prepaid rates for new reservations even if the stay date is before or on December 30th ? Laaaaame!
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21

Vote with your wallet.
I agree. I was looking for a hotel in Wash DC and saw that one property had prepaid rates that was favorable, except it stated cancellation policy was within 1 day of MAKING THE RESERVATION. I did not book and found a different chain. Forward two week, just a couple of days before my travel, DC area had upped the quarantine requirement to 40 some states, these same hotels once again began to offer prepaid rates identifying cancellation policy one day prior to travel.
Sorry Marriott. Your changes were too late to capturing my business.

Jiburi
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
Hello,
And sorry as I'm sure the answer exists somewhere on the forum but I can't find it.
Reading Marriott "Travel with Peace of Mind" T&Cs it sounds like non refundable rate remain non refundable (cf quote below)?
So what's the point of it?
Thanks!
  • For guests with reservations made on or after July 6, 2020, for arrival dates through December 30, 2020, we will allow the reservation to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before the scheduled arrival date. Reservations with pre-paid rates and other limited exclusions* will be subject to the rate offer rules communicated at the time of reservation. Please note that changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
I think part of the point is that normal non prepaid "refundable" rates used to have 48 or 72 hour cancellation policies, sometimes much more for resorts; 24 hours was becoming increasingly rare. For these rates, a uniform 24 hour policy is a big improvement.

Nonrefundable/prepaid rates are lower because they're less flexible. If you want a flexible policy, don't pick a prepaid/nonrefundable rate, before, during, or (hopefully) after COVID-19.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For these rates, a uniform 24 hour policy is a big improvement.
Except Marriott has no such policy. Many Marriott properties are imposing more restrictive cancel policies even on their so-called flexible rates.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:56 am

I had a nonrefundable rate refunded by Courtyard Green Hills Nashville last week for this weekend. I called, spoke with a manger, explained why and within two days after cancelling saw a credit posted back on the CC. How many actually call the hotel and ask what is possible?
Old Nov 8, 2020, 1:49 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by ords
I had a nonrefundable rate refunded by Courtyard Green Hills Nashville last week for this weekend. I called, spoke with a manger, explained why and within two days after cancelling saw a credit posted back on the CC. How many actually call the hotel and ask what is possible?
What if the GM said, "sorry, no refund?" The point is that Marriott is trying to claim "peace of mind" with bookings, including nonrefundable ones. To me, that comes with certainty that I can cancel at any time (or as least as specified on the policy), not "'let's see if the GM would be generous enough to let me off the hook."

LAX
SPN Lifer, hedoman and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 7:57 pm

How many actually call the hotel and ask what is possible?
Not really the point, because many of us are simply going to choose a different property. That's what I've been doing.

Note though for those who do get jammed with a restrictive policy, I've been told by Ambassador desk that a cancel up to 24 hours should still be possible if you contact them. Not sure if that's also still available for Titanium and/or Plats.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by LAX
What if the GM said, "sorry, no refund?" The point is that Marriott is trying to claim "peace of mind" with bookings, including nonrefundable ones. To me, that comes with certainty that I can cancel at any time (or as least as specified on the policy), not "'let's see if the GM would be generous enough to let me off the hook."

LAX
I'd bite the cost and kick myself for being stupid in the first place for making a non refundable reservation.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 10:57 pm
LAX

I'd bite the cost and kick myself for being stupid in the first place for making a non refundable reservation.
This has always been the "gamble" with nonrefundable reservations and I, too, would have to eat the cost if I end up making such mistake. However, Marriott's marketing gimmick is trying to make you think it's no longer a gamble. You will have the "peace of mind" to book and not worry about eating the cost if you can't make it. That's really the point of this thread.

LAX
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.