Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Now Extended: Eligible Free Night Awards & Point Expirations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now Extended: Eligible Free Night Awards & Point Expirations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Alternatively, the safe choice might be to plan a local staycation, if possible.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by agjil
Hopefully Marriott will agree and grant us another extension...I think it is really fair to expect another extension when the end of the tunnel is still nowhere to be seen.
Agreed! More than fair to expect this again. They’ve set a precedence with their previous extensions
Old Feb 16, 2021, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by agjil
While I appreciate that Marriott extended our certificates till the end of July this year, I think we can all agree that the global situation won't be significantly better by then for most of us to be able to travel safely and economically.
Hopefully Marriott will agree and grant us another extension...I think it is really fair to expect another extension when the end of the tunnel is still nowhere to be seen.
It is too early to say at this point, especially for domestic travel. Based on supply projections, we'll likely celebrate Memorial Day with at least 200 million Americans effectively vaccinated (2 weeks past first dose for Pfizer/Moderna, 4 weeks for J&J). COVID rates have been going down fairly quickly, and I think domestic leisure travel will be in full swing this summer.

I could see one last extension, but at this point I don't think it is eminently necessary like the past 2. If anything, it wouldn't shock me if they do what IHG did and wait until early summer to announce it in hopes more people use the certs early.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:21 pm

I can't seem to find the answer to this so sorry if already posted: is the expiration for the certificate a "book by" or "stay by"? For example if I have a July 2021 expiration, can I book a stay for September?
Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by erics2356
I can't seem to find the answer to this so sorry if already posted: is the expiration for the certificate a "book by" or "stay by"? For example if I have a July 2021 expiration, can I book a stay for September?
Stay by.
tbm13 and erics2356 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by erics2356
"Stay by", It wont let you attach the cert if the stay is after the certificate expiration. What I don't know the answer to is if we can use points to lock rate and then swap in the cert if/when they get extended?
erics2356 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Stay by. So no, you won't be able to use a cert that expires in July for a stay in September.

And to answer escapefromphl's question, I've been able to swap a cert in for an existing points reservation before (even when the hotel's points rate went up.)

Last edited by hhoope01; Feb 18, 2021 at 12:38 pm
Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:31 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
Originally Posted by dkerr
The problem is that by the time COVID-19 is over a member may have accumulated two or three years worth of one-nighters from credit cards, and maybe more from attaining Titanium status, potentially 4-6 nights. I don't think Marriott, or the member, had expectations of banking up that many one-nighters that could be rolled together into an extended stay.
I think Marriott will not extend these nights because of people having multiple nights. I am supposed to receive another free night the end of this month. I would have 3 nights then. So Marriott's position is cut the previous nights use to August, so no accumulating more nights.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
There likely will be a back log, I currently have 4 50k FNC ( 2x RC card, 2x Brilliant - yes I get more the AF in benefits) plus one 75 night 40k FNC likely another one this year since I passed 75 a month ago. I used 4 35k FNCs in early January when the Harbor Beach Marriott was 35k.

The problem is if they don’t extend them they’ll be a wave of cancellation particularly if the Chase cards since after a period you can get a new signup bonus. For the most part especially the 35k FNC are used for rooms properties wouldn’t rent anyway and thus it really doesn’t cost either the property or Marriott much (to reimburse the property) when there used
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Ripley62
The problem is if they don’t extend them they’ll be a wave of cancellation particularly if the Chase cards since after a period you can get a new signup bonus. For the most part especially the 35k FNC are used for rooms properties wouldn’t rent anyway and thus it really doesn’t cost either the property or Marriott much (to reimburse the property) when there used
Agreed, plus the ‘liability’ of a further FNA to sit on will be a drop in the ocean. I think we will see another final extension through to the year end, and possibly a little beyond...
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:00 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Agreed, plus the ‘liability’ of a further FNA to sit on will be a drop in the ocean. I think we will see another final extension through to the year end, and possibly a little beyond...
I hope you are right. I would prefer not to burn them just so they don't expire on August 1.

LAX
tbm13 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
I hope you are right. I would prefer not to burn them just so they don't expire on August 1.

LAX
Extensions are usually given with some, albeit not a lot, advance notice. Unless the situation has significantly improved come sayJune, it would be contradictory of Marriott not to extend again based on the situation at the time of the previous extensions back in December, June and March of last year
Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:53 pm
soy

Programs: various
I think there is a reasonable chance, at least for the credit card certs, would be less confident about the pre-merger TPs. I actually think MRR screwed themselves with their mean-spirited extension to Aug 1. If they had went to Sept 30th, then they could much more easily hold the line on any further extensions. Going by recent reports everyone in the US who wants a vaccine will be able to get one by June. UK is probably on a similar timeline. International travel however will likely to remain restricted for some time but once domestic is back I think they will stop extensions
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by soy
I think there is a reasonable chance, at least for the credit card certs, would be less confident about the pre-merger TPs. I actually think MRR screwed themselves with their mean-spirited extension to Aug 1. If they had went to Sept 30th, then they could much more easily hold the line on any further extensions. Going by recent reports everyone in the US who wants a vaccine will be able to get one by June. UK is probably on a similar timeline. International travel however will likely to remain restricted for some time but once domestic is back I think they will stop extensions
the ones that are getting screwed are the credit card holders that traditionally get one courtesy extension but got the automatic extension that may have counted as the one courtesy extension.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:18 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by myperks
the ones that are getting screwed are the credit card holders that traditionally get one courtesy extension but got the automatic extension that may have counted as the one courtesy extension.
The credit card holders have some leverage. If they get a raw deal then Chase and Amex lose out and by extension Marriott. I think there is much less downside for marriott with the TP's, especially those originally issued pre-merger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.