Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hartford Marriott Downtown, CT [Master Thread]

Old Oct 11, 20, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

(Mods - I did not find a thread specifically related to this property. If I missed it, please merge.)

I am writing this review with a bit of a different tone after finding this article: https://www.courant.com/coronavirus/...574-story.html.

Me - Platinum, solo, 1 night (Wednesday).

Background - before I made the reservation, I called the hotel to determine the parking and breakfast situations and received clear statisfactory answers.

Check-in: no recognition of status, was given what I believe was a standard room (mid-level), was handed a 4 page document - rules/a dinner menu/a breakfast menu, and a baggie of amenities. I did ask about the room and she said "you have a good city view room". She also advised that all of the property's restaurant venues were closed.

Went to the room, fairly new, no significant pluses or minuses. I read over the 'rules' and the breakfast menu. I did ask for a coffee maker to be delivered; it appeared promptly. I returned to the front desk for two purposes. First, as told to me on the phone, breakfast was available for Platinums and above from the (extensive) menu on a pre-order basis, and I would be able to pick it up from the front desk at a time of my choosing. (The property's website confirmed this after the fact.) I asked the front desk agent what menu items a Platinum was eligible for. She informed me 'whatever you'd like, it would be charged to the room'. I relayed my earlier conversation and she said 'well, I'm sorry that you were misinformed'. Second, I asked her for dinner recommendations, within walking distance. She provided to specific names (Capital Grille and Bear's Smokehouse) or 'you can turn right and then left and you might find something'. (I do like Capital Grille, but the bar menu has been eliminated, so not a great place for a solo dinner; Bear's was actually quite good.) Not having some sort of list of restaurants available is not great service.

She also mentioned in passing that the M Lounge had coffee, tea, and water available, and maybe some snacks. I did go to the lounge in the morning, and the espresso-type machine was operational, and tea, water, juice, and soda were available. There were also small boxes of cereal (the kind where you turn the box into a bowl and pour milk in and hope it doesn't leak). The lounge has the river view, and while the view is in the eye of the beholder, the river view, especially from the 'concierge' floor, is much better than a mid-floor city view.

All seating in the lobby was closed off, but no seating was closed off in the lounge. In fact, there was a group of guests doing some sort of project in the lounge. I am OK with that; I just thought that was interesting - a double standard. Also, the amenities and the coffee maker were no longer in the rooms for 'sanitary' purposes. Again, something in the eye of the beholder, but when I am handed amenities and a coffee maker with bare hands (vs. gloved hands), it defeats the purpose. (And I am not too concerned about surfaces anyway.)

I did have an e-mail exchange with the GM. While he addressed the recognition issue, he did not acknowledge either way what the breakfast situation should have been. The property will post a satisfactory number of points for compensation in the next couple of business days.

Per the article, the property is having a difficult time, so I can cut it some slack. The property is in a very walkable area of Hartford, and was otherwise a decent property.

Last edited by lamphs; Oct 11, 20 at 7:52 pm
Old Oct 11, 20, 6:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum and Southwest A list
I don't see how recognizing your loyalty members at check in and even a small upgraded room hurts your hotel? Does it cost the hotel money to give you 1,000 bonus points as a welcome gift and to give you a room with a view? I understand that food, beverage, and staffing affect the hotel's money. I recently stayed at a JW Marriott for one night (first stay since covid started). They recognized my platinum elite status. We got the bonus points as a welcome gift. Since the lounge was closed for food/beverage service we got a $10 credit toward food at the restaurant AND a free drink and sandwich at the starbucks in the lobby. We got to visit and sit in the lounge for the views but they weren't servicing it.
Old Oct 15, 20, 2:01 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Did the phone agent tell you that Platinums would receive free breakfast items from the menu, or did you make this assumption?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: