Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Osaka, Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:10 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

The website for this property just went live on Marriott's directory and can be accessed at the link below. Still light on info and only has the W brand placeholder images - as well as a curious "W Osaka City Japan" name so I suspect that more updates are coming soon to get the page in line.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ka-city-japan/

Opening February 2021 with 337 rooms, at least three restaurants and an indoor pool. I reckon this one will be at least a Category 6, if not 7.

khabah
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Cat 7 for sure.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I'd guess 6 to be in line with the Westin, Marriott, and nearby JW, versus 7 to match the Ritz and St.R in town, but wouldn't be surprised either way. Might try to stay next summer, looks like it'll be in a great spot.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
To be fair, the Ritz in Osaka is probably the worst in the system of the Ritz I have stayed at. I wouldn't be surprised if the W is above it (although given Marriott's brand definitions, it is unlikely to be the case). It is insane how Osaka and Okinawa Ritz used to be the same Cat level back in the day. I think the Osaka Ritz needs to be notched back to level 6.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:03 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
deleted

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Oct 22, 2020 at 3:52 am
Old Oct 22, 2020, 3:53 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by khabah
The website for this property just went live on Marriott's directory and can be accessed at the link below. Still light on info and only has the W brand placeholder images - as well as a curious "W Osaka City Japan" name so I suspect that more updates are coming soon to get the page in line.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ka-city-japan/

Opening February 2021 with 337 rooms, at least three restaurants and an indoor pool. I reckon this one will be at least a Category 6, if not 7.

khabah
It should be an interesting addition in Osaka but would be nice to see some artist renderings of the hotel itself. Not a fan of the supposedly edgy Miley Cyrus-like tongue-in-your-face pose wearing a lamp shade.....looks high on something.....UUUGGGHHH, you'd think they could find a better promo photo for Japan. I understand that they're trying to appeal to youth, but really!?

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Oct 22, 2020 at 9:40 pm
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Nagasaki Joe I have a treat for you: I managed to get these renderings after a lot of patience on my part. Images are computer generations of the exterior, a room, the Woobar and a ballroom.

So far, I'm supremely underwhelmed by the room design - boring conventional layout, the wood and white walls come off as a boggo Marriott, and the silver-purple shag rug/bar stools look like an early 2000s bachelor pad. Can you believe this is the same firm that designed W London and W Amsterdam? I had the highest hopes they'd turn their ideas up to 11 for the first W in freaking Japan - but yikes. I think the bar is awesome - nice to have a bright one for a change, although I'm sure it'll be color- and brightness-adjustable. Ballroom looks pretty good too.

I'd expect to see more renderings of different spaces crop up soon, especially as the opening is four months away.

khabah

Old Oct 22, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Agree, the room looks boring.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
Agree, the room looks boring.
It looks like a room from an Element Hotel.

Ron.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by khabah
Nagasaki Joe I have a treat for you: I managed to get these renderings after a lot of patience on my part. Images are computer generations of the exterior, a room, the Woobar and a ballroom.

So far, I'm supremely underwhelmed by the room design - boring conventional layout, the wood and white walls come off as a boggo Marriott, and the silver-purple shag rug/bar stools look like an early 2000s bachelor pad. Can you believe this is the same firm that designed W London and W Amsterdam? I had the highest hopes they'd turn their ideas up to 11 for the first W in freaking Japan - but yikes. I think the bar is awesome - nice to have a bright one for a change, although I'm sure it'll be color- and brightness-adjustable. Ballroom looks pretty good too.

I'd expect to see more renderings of different spaces crop up soon, especially as the opening is four months away.

khabah

Thanks for the renderings. Kind of an odd juxtaposition of an austere plain black exterior (kind like the black monolith in "2010, A Space Odyssey" movie) with a Las Vegas-style (even disco-style?) interior. I'm not sure that the interior is a good match for the Japanese market.
Just my thoughts, but thanks for digging this up. I've never stayed at a W Hotel, but probably worth a visit, though not sure it warrants a stay based on what I see.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 3:16 pm

Compared to W Xi'an, this one looks sooooo boring...
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Cat 6.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Cat 6.
That's more appropriate. After all, St Regis is Cat. 7.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:35 am
Original Poster

New renderings are up on the hotel's page. Looks nice, but I personally expected more from Japan's first W [i.e. more color, more edges, more textures - this just looks like a nice hotel anywhere].

Opening date is March 16th, 2021. Reservations opened up November 18th, and you're looking at north of 86K yen for a two-night stay the first two weeks after opening, and then over 100K for a few weeks thereafter.

khabah
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Considering burning 100K points for two night stay. Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.