Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Globalist vs Marriott Titanium Injury Experience

Old Oct 6, 20, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum

Moderators, if this is the wrong place to start this thread, please excuse me and move thread for me or put into an existing thread comparing the 2( I couldn't find one). Many of you have known me for years as super loyal to SPG so I just wanted to share why I've switched to Hyatt most of the time.

Just wanted to give a brief experience I had as a Hyatt Globalist (I took only after SPG destruction where I was lifetime Plat) vs Marriott as Lifetime Titanium.

I had a pretty bad accident a few months ago. I posted on social media. The day I got back to the office several weeks later, Hyatt's head of loyalty in my region had sent me a bouquet of flowers to welcome me back. I hadn't stayed in a Hyatt for months because of Covid.

Marriott? For the 100th time, I got an email today not in my native language trying to push me to stay and telling me of a 2500 point promotion. No matter how often I adjust my preferred language both via online settings and via phone calls, Marriott keep sending me ads in my 3rd or 4th best language I guess based on where my main home is😬 or where I log into the app last? It's bizarre.

Hyatt cares about me as a human. Marriott doesn't.
Old Oct 7, 20, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT GLD, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Pretty sure your Hyatt Concierge doesn't stalk your social media so how did they learn about your situation?

Hyatt gives the concierge after qualifying the regular way for Globalist while Marriott requires 100 nights and $20k in annual spend.
Old Oct 7, 20, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX View Post
Pretty sure your Hyatt Concierge doesn't stalk your social media so how did they learn about your situation?

Hyatt gives the concierge after qualifying the regular way for Globalist while Marriott requires 100 nights and $20k in annual spend.
I don't even know who my concierge is. I've never actually spoken to the 1 they first assigned. I have found that their regular concierge line (and even regular line) and on property service great. I never much liked Ambassador status at SPG. I haven't had it at Marriott so can't directly compare. I've always found a call to club lounge head or GM in advance of a stay makes the difference at any property, Marriott or Hyatt but especially Hyatt.

How they found out about my accident? I have no idea. But I do think the heads of Hyatt do follow me on social media or hear about what's happening to me in other ways.

For that matter, I know SPG used to follow me. When I arrived at properties after a special public success, they often had things prepared. Custom cakes or chocolates in the shape or emblazoned w something very specific to my public event. They told me they often did Google searches for me before I arrived and I often found later guest service folks followed me on various platforms.

I literally had to argue for an extra bottle of water at my last Marriott stay after a 12 + hour flight with a stopover at the hotel for a few hours before being able to return to my country during beginning of Covid. My family was thirsty, it was after the lounge had closed, and we were in a coutry where water is not potable.

​​​​
Old Oct 7, 20, 6:29 am

Sorry for your injury. In reality, neither company cares about you as a "human". But definitely stay with the hotel group that gives you "warm fuzzies".
Old Oct 7, 20, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Someone stalking me on public media would probably not be met with any enthusiasm.
Old Oct 7, 20, 6:55 am

I have a fairly common name. Any hotel doing a pre-arrival Google search of my name might think I am a former Quarterback, an actor or well known guitarist. I am none of those but will gladly accept their upgrades or other perks!
AsiaTraveler and Fims like this.
Old Oct 7, 20, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Leisuremiles View Post
I have a fairly common name. Any hotel doing a pre-arrival Google search of my name might think I am a former Quarterback, an actor or well known guitarist. I am none of those but will gladly accept their upgrades or other perks!
Will you accept process servers?
Old Oct 7, 20, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
For that matter, I know SPG used to follow me. When I arrived at properties after a special public success, they often had things prepared. Custom cakes or chocolates in the shape or emblazoned w something very specific to my public event. They told me they often did Google searches for me before I arrived and I often found later guest service folks followed me on various platforms.​​​​
To each his or her own, but I personally find this type of behavior super creepy. Any hotel that thinks it's appropriate to stalk me (good term, Jaimito) and then announce that they're stalking me via pastry would lose my business.

-----

I've told this story in FlyerTalk before, so skip it if you're read it before or anecdotes aren't your thing.

Years ago, I worked at a corporate-owned hotel that served as a beta test site for programs, services, and products for the chain. This was the late 90s, so most cell phones still folded and anything WiFi was uncommon.

We were tasked with testing a special room key that encoded the guest's name on it. When the key was within X feet for a reader (and not blocked by anything thicker than the fabric of a pant pocket), the guest's name appeared on a special console. We set up the equipment in the hotel's Concierge Lounge. When guests with the keys entered, the hotel staff would greet them by name.

Guests freaked out.

Apparently back then, having a complete stranger address you by name was an unsettling experience for many people. The only guests that were okay with the concept were ones who stayed with us regularly. And our Concierge staff was great, so they already knew the names of those guests. That beta test didn't even last a week before our General Manager told the Corporate Office their expensive toy was a bust.

Times have clearly changed.
Old Oct 7, 20, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hyatt is smaller, like starwood was smaller
hyatt is controlled (voting shares) by one family

Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
Apparently back then, having a complete stranger address you by name was an unsettling experience for many people. The only guests that were okay with the concept were ones who stayed with us regularly.
definitely constantly changing. seems to be something that upscale cruiselines have done for a long time, but that audience was narrow (older wealthier)
Old Oct 7, 20, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Leisuremiles View Post
Sorry for your injury. In reality, neither company cares about you as a "human". But definitely stay with the hotel group that gives you "warm fuzzies".
Whilst I agree that neither company cares about OP as a human, giving customers warm feelings towards the brand is exactly what a hospitality company should be doing. The entire point of hospitality is to make the guest/customer feel warm, welcome, and at home. It's a gesture of minimal expense for a company such as Hyatt or Marriott, more than made up for by the customer booking a single room night, but as we've seen from this post, the customer is likely to give far more business than that just because of this simple gesture.

While I think we all agree that no hotel company (or airline, or car rental agency, or any company for that matter) truly cares for you as a person, the allure of doing so is still valuable.
Old Oct 7, 20, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Someone stalking me on public media would probably not be met with any enthusiasm.
Interesting. I am not super famous but am marginally well-known in certain circles. Many hotels I go to someone recognizes me in the lobby - it is nice when I see a hotel try to personalize the experience for me. Even if they know of me in advance it's nice when they make the effort to show they care by being as up to date in their knowledge about me or my preferences - if that means a bowl of blue berries, a FT article clipping about my company or a nicer upgrade, I'll take it.

I assume they might know me, so I do not consider it stalking. I don't mean to come off as DYKWIA by any means so please don't attack me here. It is what it is and what I have to deal with

​​​​​
Bravada04 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 20, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I think we can all agree that a personal touch in hospitality can make all the difference in making a guest feel special. And that line between "I love that they personalize things for me using whatever means available" to "creepy stalking" is different for each individual.

What I don't get are stories like the one arguing over a bottle of water. If one has taken a long trip and one's family is thirsty and the tap water is not potable, then buy a damn bottle of water. What's the sense of arguing over it, demanding it for free?
Old Oct 7, 20, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I'll be the first to admit that I don't care for Marriott or its leadership, but it just seems odd to expect them to acknowledge an accident you had and send you flowers. I think it's very nice that Hyatt did that for you (maybe even a little strange), but to say Hyatt cares more than Marriott seems like a stretch. What about your favorite airline? Did they send you anything? Or your favorite credit card company? Your cell service provider?

And as far as where to post this, I would have put it in the Hyatt forum and said "look what Hyatt did for me" instead of the Marriott forum to say "look what Marriott didn't do for me".

Last edited by margarita girl; Oct 7, 20 at 9:24 am
Old Oct 7, 20, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
I'll be the first to admit that I don't care for Marriott or its leadership, but it just seems odd to expect them to acknowledge an accident you had and send you flowers. I think it's very nice that Hyatt did that for you (maybe even a little strange), but to say Hyatt cares more than Marriott seems like a stretch. What about your favorite airline? Did they send you anything? Or your favorite credit card company? Your cell service provider?

And as far as where to post this, I would have put it in the Hyatt forum and said "look what Hyatt did for me" instead of the Marriott forum to say "look what Marriott didn't do for me".
Well, I didn't say Marriott didn't send me a card and that they should have... I said I cant even get them to send me messages in the language I prefer despite me asking them to repeatedly in online setting and in calls with customer service.

I'm just saying... Hyatt goes the extra mile while Marriott cant even get the basics right because I don't think they care to try to be a true hospitality company
Old Oct 7, 20, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Perhaps I’m not important enough, but I certainly wouldn’t expect a massive global conglomerate to send me some flowers if I injured myself. But then, I also wouldn’t expect anyone on social media to care about my injury, and I wouldn’t argue with a hotel over a bottle of water I can afford to purchase.

I mean, I did injure my shoulder this year and, despite being Hilton Gold, I haven’t received a bouquet from Hilton! Screw those guys, I’m never touching a Waldorf again.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: