Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Suites: Are They Still Around

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Suites: Are They Still Around

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Do any of the few Marriott Suites properties have a lounge?
Anaheim Marriott Suites doesn't. It gives Platinum/Titanium members breakfast from the buffet in the restaurant (in non-Covid times, that is ). Currently it only lists a Starbucks for breakfast, and Platinum/Titanium members only get points in place of the breakfast, per the hotel's current Covid benefits changes information page.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Echoing the comment from sdsearch, the Washington Dulles and Bethesda properties also do not have lounges and offer(ed) breakfast from the buffet for Platinums/Titaniums.

When having stayed in past times (i.e. pre-CV-19), I thought highly of the Washington Dulles property and its condition. Wasn't necessarily thrilled with Bethesda - which is ironic given its proximity to Marriott's WHQ.

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
The Dallas Market Center Marriott Suites has a first floor M Lounge, if I recall correctly. I took it to have been added some time after the hotel first opened.
SPN Lifer and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I stayed at the Deerfield Marriott Suites about 2 years ago. Definitely has a very bland 1990s suburban office park vibe to it.

Although it was midsummer, the hotel was mostly empty when we were there. No quality issues...room rate was like 90 bucks for a nice suite...but the property had no soul to it at all. It is a couple miles away from the area with shops and restaurants that you'd think of as "downtown Deerfield". You need a car to get anywhere from this property.

I suppose it's worth a look if you're stuck at ORD for a night and the big hotels right around ORD are sold out. It's approximately the same ride to/from the terminals as a Schaumburg hotel would be. (15-20 minutes)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 8:48 am
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
I stayed at the Deerfield Marriott Suites about 2 years ago. Definitely has a very bland 1990s suburban office park vibe to it.

Although it was midsummer, the hotel was mostly empty when we were there. No quality issues...room rate was like 90 bucks for a nice suite...but the property had no soul to it at all. It is a couple miles away from the area with shops and restaurants that you'd think of as "downtown Deerfield". You need a car to get anywhere from this property.

I suppose it's worth a look if you're stuck at ORD for a night and the big hotels right around ORD are sold out. It's approximately the same ride to/from the terminals as a Schaumburg hotel would be. (15-20 minutes)
My parents stayed at that hotel when it was new.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
What kind of high-end hotel has no lounge?
In Marriott language, the brands that have lounges are clustered around the “Premium” (high-ish end) segment of the market. There’s a whole “Luxury” segment upstairs, which is far too refined to have such a thing.

Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Feels like they should have StR and Ritz on their own tier. Kind of does a bit of a disservice to those brands to throw them on the same level with W and JW.

W's are usually very nice - often with more liveliness to them than competing brands - but they aren't in the realm as a top St. Regis. JW's are often just slightly upscale versions of a Marriott. I used to stay at the one in DC often for work - it was maybe my 3rd or 4th choice from among Marriotts in the area, but we had a corp rate there.

My LC stays in the Starwood years were awesome and included some of the best Plat upgrades I ever received in that program but again, they didn't meet the same luxury specs that a St. Regis did.

But I guess I'm digressing from the full-service suites topic a bit... Oh well.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Feels like they should have StR and Ritz on their own tier. Kind of does a bit of a disservice to those brands to throw them on the same level with W and JW.

W's are usually very nice - often with more liveliness to them than competing brands - but they aren't in the realm as a top St. Regis. JW's are often just slightly upscale versions of a Marriott. I used to stay at the one in DC often for work - it was maybe my 3rd or 4th choice from among Marriotts in the area, but we had a corp rate there.

My LC stays in the Starwood years were awesome and included some of the best Plat upgrades I ever received in that program but again, they didn't meet the same luxury specs that a St. Regis did.

But I guess I'm digressing from the full-service suites topic a bit... Oh well.
I have never agreed with the way things are ordered in that chart. In terms of actual experience at the properties, I would rank them more like:

Luxury
-RC
-St. Regis
-EDITION
-Luxury Collection (some, but not all)

Premium
-W
-JW

Full-Service
-Marriott
-Vacation Club
-Le Meridien
-Westin
-Autograph Collection
-Renaissance
-Gaylord
-Design Hotels
-Tribute Portfolio
-Sheraton
-Delta

High-End Select
-AC

Standard Select
-Courtyard
-Four Points
-SpringHill
-Protea
-Aloft
-Moxy
-Element

Basic Select
-Fairfield
-TownePlace

I think there's room to further break down within categories like "full-service" or "standard select" for example I wouldn't really rate the Sheraton brand at the same level as I would rate Le Meridien, Westin, Marriott, Autograph Collection, or Renaissance. But at the same time calling Sheraton 'premium' is pretty laughable, sort of like calling JW 'luxury'.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
I have never agreed with the way things are ordered in that chart. In terms of actual experience at the properties, I would rank them more like:

Luxury
-RC
-St. Regis
-EDITION
-Luxury Collection (some, but not all)

Premium
-W
-JW

Full-Service
-Marriott
-Vacation Club
-Le Meridien
-Westin
-Autograph Collection
-Renaissance
-Gaylord
-Design Hotels
-Tribute Portfolio
-Sheraton
-Delta

High-End Select
-AC

Standard Select
-Courtyard
-Four Points
-SpringHill
-Protea
-Aloft
-Moxy
-Element

Basic Select
-Fairfield
-TownePlace

I think there's room to further break down within categories like "full-service" or "standard select" for example I wouldn't really rate the Sheraton brand at the same level as I would rate Le Meridien, Westin, Marriott, Autograph Collection, or Renaissance. But at the same time calling Sheraton 'premium' is pretty laughable, sort of like calling JW 'luxury'.
Not all of these brands fall neatly into categories. Protea is just a regional brand that Marriott bought; it ranges from what you call Basic Select at some properties to what you call Full Service at other properties, with everything in between too (at yet other properties). On a Southern Africa visit shortly after they joined, I stayed at a business hotel high-rise Protea as well at small no-elevator motel-style Proteas.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's also the case in some of those Portfolio/Collection type brands. I know it is in other programs, where those kinds of brands range even more widely than Protea does between categories. But I'm not familiar enough with the Marriott Portfolio/Collection type brands to know if they range widely or not.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Not all of these brands fall neatly into categories. Protea is just a regional brand that Marriott bought; it ranges from what you call Basic Select at some properties to what you call Full Service at other properties, with everything in between too (at yet other properties). On a Southern Africa visit shortly after they joined, I stayed at a business hotel high-rise Protea as well at small no-elevator motel-style Proteas.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's also the case in some of those Portfolio/Collection type brands. I know it is in other programs, where those kinds of brands range even more widely than Protea does between categories. But I'm not familiar enough with the Marriott Portfolio/Collection type brands to know if they range widely or not.
Agreed. I honestly couldn’t tell you a thing about Protea. And Design Hotels/Tribute Portfolio I don’t really know either.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
In Marriott language, the brands that have lounges are clustered around the “Premium” (high-ish end) segment of the market. There’s a whole “Luxury” segment upstairs, which is far too refined to have such a thing.
It is not quite as clear as all that. In the Luxury segment of Marriott's classification, both Ritz Carlton and JW generally have lounges, a few select Luxury Collection hotels does as well.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

You may be correct about the luxury segment of hotels being above lounges, however, I feel like I have enjoyed many a Ritz Lounge and JW Marriott Lounge. In fact, I am probably of the group that is more surprised when one of these properties, does not have a lounge or even worse, it has a lounge that is closed.

Most recent Ritz lounges I have used are NYC Central Park, Washington DC, San Francisco, Bahrain, Vienna, Budapest. Maybe those were exceptions rather than the rule and of course the Bahrain property, is really Ritz in name only as it is owned by the Royal Family and caters to weekend causeway travelers who would demand a lounge.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 6:37 am

Ritz lounges (IME) are a bit of a different animal. That's typically a paid lounge (e.g., booking a room that includes it at a substantial premium to the base room) so a much different service level expectation than the lounges we get at regular Marriotts and Hiltons thanks to status or booking a room that costs $10 more.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd move Gaylord and Delta down, maybe Protea too. Moreover, it might be unfair, but I tend to consider AC hotels to be an updated and improved version of Courtyard that are more likely to be found downtown and in suburbs of bigger cities.

IME some StRs aren't so special and are worse than some LCs.

JWs are too big and too cookie-cutter standard/same to be true luxury.

Once upon a time, Plats and above had guaranteed access to StR and LC lounges, even though lounges weren't part of the brand standard for these brands.

I'm still confused about Edition versus Autograph Collection versus Tribute. I also can't tell the difference between Fairfield Inn and SpringHill Suites.

Maybe we need a two-dimensional brand chart, with separate columns for lifestyle versus non lifestyle brands in addition to my edits and insertion of a row for Courtyard, AC, Delta, Protea, and Gaylord as select, below "premium" but above the limited service brands.
cfabar1 likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 30, 2020 at 11:30 pm
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Perhaps Post # 36 and onward should be moved into a new thread, as they have nothing to do with Marriott Suites?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.